libsub library implementation

Hello,

I wanted to reachout to see if anyone can help me 'fully' implement the libsub library on FreeBSD. Libusb is a dependency for the blinkstick API library. I am trying to see if I can integrate the Blinkstick API onto FreeBSD so that I am able to manipulate LED lights. I am using ruby on FreeBSD to get the API working. The ruby script is able to compile with no errors but it does not seem to detect the blinkstick usb. I am aware this has to do with the libusb dependency. I am also aware about this site https://www.freshports.org/search.p...leted&start=1&casesensitivity=caseinsensitive where I can install libusb using ports. But when installing libusb and running the command gem install libusb it seems to still not recognize the usb. I know that it may have to do with some cross compilation errors as well. If anyone has insight to this I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

libusb is already fully implemented in base providing both libusb(3) (compat) and libusb20(3) APIs. Everything else you wrote didn't really make sense to me (I'm completely unaware about ruby-anything).
I would say this is kind of an example of the XY-problem phenomenon. OP assumes their problem was related to libusb, so asks about libusb, instead of giving as many details as possible on the actual problem.

Also, seeing this gem install libusb looks fishy to me, assuming it indeed installs some libusb (maybe even some Linux binary?). In general, be very careful with any "3rd-party package management".

libusb is already fully implemented in base providing both libusb(3) (compat) and libusb20(3) APIs. Everything else you wrote didn't really make sense to me (I'm completely unaware about ruby-anything).
Ok. Thank you for informing me that the libusb library is fully implemented in base. My next question would be necesary to do a sudo pkg install libusb knowing that the libusb library is implemented?

I would say this is kind of an example of the XY-problem phenomenon. OP assumes their problem was related to libusb, so asks about libusb, instead of giving as many details as possible on the actual problem.

Also, seeing this gem install libusb looks fishy to me, assuming it indeed installs some libusb (maybe even some Linux binary?). In general, be very careful with any "3rd-party package management".
Thanks zirias@ for your comment about the X-Y-problem, it was helpful. For you to understand, here is more context to the problem: I am trying to implement the BlinkStick API library to a FreeBSD target machine. Ruby is already downloaded on the target machine. on this BlinkStick API website you can find Ruby as an 'official API implementation' and when you click on Ruby it takes to a Github repository where on the README it indicates you need to install 2 packages using gem: Color and Libusb gem install color and gem install libusb. I did just that. Everything worked well. However, when I tried to run a simple ruby script to retrieve the usb's serial number it did not work. The code compiled with no errors but it was not able to communicate with the usb. That is why I am thinking that the problem has to do with the libusb library.

I was able to solve the issue I was having. It appears that it was an issue pertaining to permissions on the file. I had to run the script as root or add the preffix sudo I can now mark this as a solved issue.

Back