KDE4 and Gnome KDE Menus

I have been resisting installing KDE4 because the last time that I did, KDE did not automatically add KDE apps to the gnome menus like KDE3 does.

Is there a way to do this? Am I doing something wrong? I run gnome 99% of the time. I don't want to do it manually for KDE apps. In my opinion, this was a huge mistake by KDE4.

So you want KDE4 to somehow tell GNOME about its apps?

Doesn't GNOME have a tool that scans and finds new apps like KDE has?

I hate it when one app doesn't communicate with the other one. Personally I blame the kernel for such things. They should know better.

I don't blame KDE4 for wanting to clean up it's its menus, but when KDE3 put it's its apps into gnome menus (actually freedesktop menus isn't it?), and then all of a sudden they don't, well that is just plain foolish. This was a major setback to Unix. I wonder if they were trying to trick users into using KDE4? Big mistake on their part. Somebody made the wrong decision.

On both Fedora and Slackware, KDE4 apps get added to the gnome and xfce4 menus. I believe the problem is specific to FreeBSD/KDE4, due to the fact that on FreeBSD KDE4 installs the application files to its own directory on FreeBSD: [cmd=""]/usr/local/kde4/share/[/cmd]

It does not use the normal [cmd=]/usr/local/share[/cmd] directory infrastructure. This is not something you can blame on KDE4 :)

Adam

Thanks for the Info Adamk

Well thanks for the info Adamk. Interesting. Maybe I stand corrected, but whatever the reason, it sure is incovenient enough for me not to install kde4. I am still using kde3. Needs to be fixed in FBSD FreeBSD if that is the reason, and I do think you might be right.

Can't you just add the path to your shell startup file? I'm sure that the path is different for namespace reasons. Also kde4 just hit stable with 4.4( maybe 4.3).

I wouldn't expect the path to be 'fixed' any day soon. There are many people still using kde3 and don't expect any forced upgrades in the future.

Do you know what variable would need to be set? PATH is not applicable since we're not talking about binaries, but about .desktop files, and my searches on google aren't turning up much.

Back