Is there some form of tlp on freebsd?

Hi I'm running FreeBSD 14 on my Thinkpad T430 and the fan's going pretty hard. Is there a utility / suite of utilities for laptops that folks use, perhaps similar to linux's TLP?

Sheesh. I thought it was my laptop, turns out it was the Christmas tree. I figured it out after I found and installed bsdfan and turned the laptop this way and that :). Still, what else should I be running on my laptop?

I have powerd_enable="YES" set in rc.conf.

I am running 14-RELEASE on a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen9 with an Intel 11th gen CPU. The only things I did were:
  • Use powerd++(8)
  • Set machdep.hwpstate_pkg_ctrl=0 to have per-core instead of per-package frequency scaling
  • Set dev.hwpstate_intel.N.epp for each core to your preferred setting (power saving to performance and anything in-between).
I perceive the need for 3rd-party utilities to be superfluous. Especially on a laptop where you probably don't want to mess with the fan curves (other than potentially a BIOS level preset). Unlike with a custom build desktop, the thermal solution is engineered as part of the overall device.

so, I:
Code:
sudo sysrc powerd_flags="-b minimum -a adaptive"
sudo service powerd restart

That sound right?

so, I:
Code:
sudo sysrc powerd_flags="-b minimum -a adaptive"
sudo service powerd restart

That sound right?

For a T430, [edit: oops] assuming for permanent usage you also have powerd_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf, then yes.

For mine I prefer flags '-a adp -b adp'. Unless you want to run something with higher load for a while, -b adaptive saves as much power as minimum.

The hwpstate_intel settings that jbo is using don't apply to our older generation CPUs.

For the T430, the default fan profile with acpi_ibm works well, so I agree that no external utility is needed.

Back