Installing with KDE

Hi guys. I have been a Linux guy since 2000. Now I am interested in trying FreeBSD.

I downloaded the FreeBSD iso from the website. When I install and select KDE during installation, it will boot and login automatically to the KDE desktop after installation finishes?

Would I need to do anything?

Hi guys. I have been a Linux guy since 2000. Now I am interested in trying FreeBSD.

I downloaded the FreeBSD iso from the website. When I install and select KDE during installation, it will boot and login automatically to the KDE desktop after installation finishes?

Would I need to do anything?
If you want "Ubuntu" like, then FreeBSD is not for you; maybe GhostBSD.

It looks like you are on a long road:
Since you are not new here then you likely know how to deal with what's coming with this KDE installation, and if you are not sure of what you do use a Virtual Machine to train yourself.
If you don't feel comfortable with all of that, there is no shame on using GhosBSD like previously mentioned by Minbari, or HelloSystem, NomadBSD.
The goal is to have fun not to torture yourself :)

BUT If you chose to take the hard way, IMO your previous thread already contains a lot of good advice and information. This comment gives you the name of a program that will help you to get easily a working desktop installation without too much pain.
Read again this thread entirely even if it takes time, you will get most of the answers you seek.

I recently installed KDE Plasma on 14.0-STABLE. If you have an intel or AMD iGPU, there should be quite literally bare minimum setup after getting FreeBSD booted for the first time after installation.

Step 1. Install your graphics drivers, enable the module for your [i/+-]GPU with the given command in the Xorg chapter of the handbook
Step 2. Install KDE (it's literally one single meta-package for the whole thing) and then install SDDM, as in the Desktop Environments part of the handbook.
Step 3. Enable SDDM in /etc/rc.conf with the given command in the Plasma chapter.
Step 4. Reboot, SDDM should launch itself, and then make sure to change the SDDM login environment to Plasma (X11) when you log in, it defaults to Plasma (Wayland) which I can't get SDDM launching currently.

An additional note: I see in your previous attempts to get this working, you were trying to use startx with ~/.xinitrc -- If you follow the handbook and launch Plasma via SDDM, you don't need to even have that ~/.xinitrc file or to use startx

Back