Help Me Install KDE Plasma, Please

Hi,
I’m new to FreeBSD.
I’ve been trying to get my laptop up and running KDE, according to this website.
I believe I followed procedures as much as I could, but I noticed I never came across the part about accepting the license.

Please check my current situation here

Trying to install a few things the log file says should be installed I get a result that’s it is already installed.

I hope you don’t count this as double posting as the other thread was mainly introducing myself and the chat just developed.

So I think here is the right place.

Should I restart installing KDE allover again. Hopefully there are just a few commands to do to get things up and running.

My problem in a few words, I installed (I think) KDE, but restarting boots normally to the default text screen, doing command “X” I get a blank screen and nothing happens.

Thank you for your support.

UPDATE:
I found https://freebsdfoundation.org/freebsd-project/resources/installing-a-desktop-environment-on-freebsd/

and I am following it (for KDE)

Perhaps it needs update as
Code:
pkg install x11/kde4
didn’t work, so I changed it to kde5 and it’s working.

Hello limo,

have you installed your graphics drivers?

Because if sddm is entered in /etc/rc.conf then something is wrong with the Xorg server configuration, if then sddm does not come automatically at startup.

Your dmesg at boot and/or /var/log/Xorg.0.log or /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old could help to find it out.

Hello limo,

have you installed your graphics drivers?

Because if sddm is entered in /etc/rc.conf then something is wrong with the Xorg server configuration if then sddm does not come automatically at startup.

Your dmesg at boot and/or /var/log/Xorg.0.log or /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old could help to find it out.

Thank you Alexander88207

Well, (sorry I updated my post), currently doing what’s shown on the foundation link (this is the “official” procedure, which I believe better than what I did before.)

It seems I will leave it overnight and see how it goes in the morning.

I will post back in the morning or if it didn’t take that much time as it did in the morning.

Thank you very much for your care.

Oh, you choose to compile it?
I did pkg install as my first post, but I don’t know why the download speed is really slow 30KB while other device read 20MB up to 30MB.

Maybe the FreeBSD servers or latency. I don’t know.
Anyway it’s almost bedtime for me here…. I’ll see how it goes in the morning.

Hopefully we can get it working tomorrow morning.

Go to section 5.7.2 KDE of the handbook:

1. To install the KDE package, type:

# pkg install x11/kde5

2. KDE requires /proc to be mounted. Add this line to /etc/fstab to mount this file system automatically during system startup:

proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

3. KDE uses D-Bus for a message bus and hardware abstraction. These applications are automatically installed as dependencies of KDE. Enable them in /etc/rc.conf so they will be started when the system boots:

dbus_enable="YES"

Since KDE Plasma 5, the KDE Display Manager, KDM is no longer developed. A possible replacement is SDDM. To install it, type:

4. # pkg install x11/sddm

Add this line to /etc/rc.conf:

sddm_enable="YES"

KEEP READING...

Most of the time, just making sure you read the entire section of the Handbook (and not skipping steps) will lead you to success. I learned that the hard way. If you miss a step, it can be VERY difficult to figure out where you went wrong. This actually applies to any software, not just FreeBSD.

Well, let me try to get focused and put everything together.

This is my laptop
(got previously using
Code:
inxi -Fxxx
some time ago when I had Linux installed. Installed again here just in case)

System: Host: lenovo Kernel: 5.10.70-1-lts x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.22.5
Distro: EndeavourOS
Machine: Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 20157 v: Lenovo G580 serial: <superuser required>
Mobo: LENOVO model: Emerald Lake 2 v: FAB1 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: LENOVO
v: 62CN34WW date: 04/26/2012
Battery: ID-1: BAT0 charge: 27.9 Wh (99.3%) condition: 28.1/42.8 Wh (65.6%)
CPU: Info: Dual Core model: Intel Core i5-3210M bits: 64 type: MT MCP cache: L2: 3 MiB
Speed: 2865 MHz min/max: 1200/3100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2865 2: 2863 3: 2863 4: 2867
Graphics: Device-1: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: Acer Lenovo Integrated Webcam type: USB driver: uvcvideo
Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.13 driver: loaded: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo>
Message: Unable to show advanced data. Required tool glxinfo missing.
Audio: Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.10.70-1-lts running: yes
Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: yes
Network: Device-1: Broadcom BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter driver: wl
IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 08:ed:b9:97:27:0f
Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8162 Fast Ethernet driver: alx
IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: f0:de:f1:fd:53:97
Bluetooth: Device-1: Foxconn / Hon Hai Broadcom BCM20702 Bluetooth type: USB driver: btusb
Report: rfkill ID: hci0 rfk-id: 3 state: down bt-service: disabled rfk-block: hardware: no
software: no address: see --recommends
Drives: Local Storage: total: 523.07 GiB used: 29.35 GiB (5.6%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST9500325AS size: 465.76 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: SanDisk model: USB 3.2Gen1 size: 57.3 GiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 456.88 GiB used: 26.94 GiB (5.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
ID-2: /boot/efi size: 511 MiB used: 296 KiB (0.1%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda1
Swap: ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 512 MiB used: 290.9 MiB (56.8%) file: /swapfile
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 64.0 C mobo: 47.0 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info: Processes: 179 Uptime: 19m Memory: 3.69 GiB used: 2 GiB (54.3%) Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.05

First time I installed I selected UFS not ZFS (later may say why).
Then I followed instructions shown on leonardcucos. Everything went fine, but I never came across the stage where it says accept license.

Then I tried what was shown on FreeBSDFoundation, with no success.

Then a friend here at another thread like hinted why not go with defaults and use ZFS, so I made a fresh install with defaults including ZFS, then again followed FreeBSDFoundation.
When I came to the part of testing by issuing command “ startx” it did nothing and gave some errors.

Whenever I tried to install something that should be installed usually it said it is already installed.

So I just proceeded with FreeBSDFoundation to instal KDE.

Just to be 100% clear, I installed nano to use it as text editor. I think it is not a an issue as compared to vi which I find it a bit… not my taste. Would this make any difference? I don’t think so.

Currently installing… extracting…

Waiting for it to finish.

UPDATE; finally finished and back to prompt, logged in as root. What should I do next? Follow FreeBSDFoundation or leonardcucos? What about instructions shown on FreeBSD Documentation? and the KDE a website? Anything to do before or after?

Hopefully an experienced user/developer/… can from the 4 links come up with ONLY One brief steps/specific commands?

P.S. I am logged in as root, have added during installation 1 user “limo”, followed defaults while adding “limo”.

Unfortunately, reading will misinform the reader.
May I suggest. Better first assume the user is a complete newbie, make a separate page for each DE. Give instructions using “pkg install xyz” not ports (as it might be easier for a newbie).
Maybe using nano will be easier than vi (just my personal taste), but I’m always thinking of newbies.

Experienced users or IT a guys perhaps won’t need such instructions.

Done, still no KDE
dmesg and first file are quite big.
I have no way to cop and paste
It's difficult to proceed from here without you being able to copy and paste. Maybe you could use the same computer that you're using to post to this forum for copying and pasting. Is this computer on the same network as the computer you're trying to configure?

Edited to add: Or are you using a Lynx web browser to post to this forum? We can work with that too.

Edit 2: Type dmesg -a | nc termbin.com 9999 --- it will output a link, then you can just post the link.

Try a script named desktop-installer. It's perfect to learn about setting up a desktop on FreeBSD.

Just do a new install of FreeBSD. When you set up your user make sure you invite the user
to the following groups: wheel video operator.

Once installed login as root.

Install desktop-installer. pkg install desktop-installer

run: desktop-installer

Follow the steps. Sometimes the script ask you some questions.

The script takes care about everything. Installing X and graphics driver and more.

You can choose between about 10 desktops like KDE, Gnome, XFCE and more.

This should work.

More infos here: http://www.acadix.biz/desktop-installer.php

Try a script named desktop-installer
I already did as at https://leonardcucos.com/how-to-install-freebsd-13-0-with-kde-plasma-5/

But I started from step 5, supposedly I did the previous, I already have FreeBSD installed, may be I need to start allover from step 4. What you think?
It seems to me I am proceeding to the target
During desktop-installer, it tested and booted actually to KDE🎉

I finished, but still booting to the standard screen not to KDE?
Any ideas?

🥳🥳🥳

Done (almost)
The situation now:
  • I can only boot to the normal BSD a screen
  • I login as root, then “startx” KDE starts and works as usual. Played a YouTube and music. (Cable, no WiFi yet)
  • Issuing the same “startx” as user “limo” gives me some funny windows (like command line/shell)
I guess priorities now are:
  1. Make user “limo” do “startx” and start KDE as “limo” not root.
  2. Enable WiFi
  3. Default boot to KDE
Wow! I finally did it (almost), but so far so good.

I’m sure you can help. I am really eager to boot KDE on WiFi and make my first post here.
🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

Make user “limo” do “startx” and start KDE as “limo” not root.
When you run startx it's ~/.xinitrc that defines what DE or WM gets started. If you don't have that file, or not configured properly, the default TWM window manager is started.

Default boot to KDE
sysrc sddm_enable="YES" (assuming you have x11/sddm installed).

You don't generally boot to KDE, you can boot to a so-called Display Manager. It's a graphical login that starts an X session, there are a number to choose from (just like there are a number of desktop environments or window managers you can choose from).

When you run startx it's ~/.xinitrc that defines what DE or WM gets started. If you don't have that file, or not configured properly, the default TWM window manager is started.

You don't generally boot to KDE, you can boot to a so-called Display Manager. It's a graphical login that starts an X session, there are a number to choose from (just like there are a number of desktop environments or window managers you can choose from).
My saviour SirDice here again 🥳

sddm_enable="YES"
Is already in /etc.conf (I did as mentioned at leonardcucos step by step.
So, I assume it is already run during boot from /etc/rc.conf, or should I put it in another file or issue it from command line?

Back