Solved Install/boot hangs on uart0

Hi,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 13.2/14.0-RC2 on an MSI Cubi 5 12M (https://www.msi.com/Business-Productivity-PC/Cubi-5-12M) with an Intel® Core™ i3-1215U and 64GB RAM / 2 TB NVMe SSD. It hangs during boot, the last lines printed are:

Code:
uart0: <16550 or compatible> at port 0x3f8 irg 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
uart0: non-PNP ISA device will be removed from GENERIC in FreeBSD 14undefined

If I boot in verbose mode I'll get one additonal line:

Code:
pcib0: allocated type 4 (0x2f8-0x2f8) for rid 0 of uart1

Full screenshot is attached as well as a lspci -v output from Linux Mint.

BIOS is already updated, there is not much to configure in the BIOS itself. Linux Mint boots without a hitch.

Google didn't help either, do you guys have any suggestions?

Cheers, Aurel

Attachments

• lspci.txt
    10.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20231111_191838_979.jpg
    IMG_20231111_191838_979.jpg
    892.9 KB · Views: 70
Just checked: same thing with 15-CURRENT :-(

I also disabled uart and atrtc -> still stuck. I disabled ACPI but this resulted in a kernel panic right after boot. I switched vt mode to

Code:
hw.vga.textmode=1
hw.vga.acpi_ignore_no_vga=1

but still no change. The kernel just hangs (it still responds to pressing the power button with a "Acpi0sExecute: task queue not started"). Where do I go from here?

Thank you so much, that did the trick! I had to disable both uart0 & 1, in my first attempt I just disabled 0. So:

Code:
set hint.uart.0.disabled="1"
set hint.uart.1.disabled="1"

makes the sytem boot just fine. Very releaved, been using FreeBSD as my primary home server for almost 20 years and I definitely want to stay with it :)

I also just had the same issue and this was very helpful.

Can anyone explain why this is an issue in the first place? I'd love to understand it.

I also just had the same issue and this was very helpful.

Can anyone explain why this is an issue in the first place? I'd love to understand it.
The Cherrytrail link in post 3 says that the code assumes there is UART and hangs forever when it cannot find one.

Back