Other I'm con-FUSE-d

Is there a definitve guide to using alien filesystems on FreeBSD. Support seems to be continually changing and it is difficult keeping uptodate.

The 'alien' filesystems I expose myself to include ext2, ext3, ext4, msdos, ntfs, exfat.

I see that I have an ext2fs.ko module loaded. Do I also need to install fusefs-ext2? I note there is also a fuse-ext2....

Can anyone say if the info in this post is still applicable?

I'm trying to mount a Linux partition (/dev/da0p6) which has been cleaned using fsck.ext4. file -s /dev/da0p6 identifies it at ext4, but trying to mount using mount -t ext2fs /dev/da0p6 /mnt results in

Input/output error

Any suggestions?

BTW - FreeBSD 13.1

From the man page "It currently implements most of the features required by ext3 and ext4 file systems. Support for Extended Attributes in ext4 is experimental. Journalling and encryption are currently not supported.". Check if your ext4 fs uses any of the unsupported features.

From the man page "It currently implements most of the features required by ext3 and ext4 file systems. Support for Extended Attributes in ext4 is experimental. Journalling and encryption are currently not supported.".
Which man page exactly? fusefs-ext2 fusefs-ext4fuse fusefs-lkl

Check if your ext4 fs uses any of the unsupported features.
How do I check?

Could my problem be related to UUIDs?

For an ext4 partition,
Code:
mount -t ext2fs /dev/mydevice /mnt/mydevice
should work
Are you certain,
the partition type is linux (type 83 is a Linux data partition)
and the filesystem is ext4 ? (file -s /dev/...)

Which man page exactly? fusefs-ext2 fusefs-ext4fuse fusefs-lkl

How do I check?
You've been doing FreeBSD for some years now - you should know how to check. FWIW here are the "ext2fs" man pages
Code:
root@kg-core2:~ # apropos ext2fs
ext2fs, ext4fs(5) - ext2/ext3/ext4 file system
fsck_ext2fs(8) - compatibility wrapper for e2fsck

Journalling and encryption are currently not supported.
This is the answer. All modern linux use Journaled ext3 and ext4.
Simply turn it off on Linux end and our stuff works.
We don't support ext3 or ext4 journaling.
Writes crash the fs journal and needs mending in Linux after attempted writes from FreeBSD..

Back