i915kms on X1 Carbon Gen6, on FreeBSD 13 ?

Hi everyone,

I went thru several strugle to have my graphic card working decently after moving to 12.2, and ended up compiling the driver on my 12.2-Release-P4 which seems to work mostly fine since then. I used that thread to get those result and ressources : https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...2-2-release-workaround-build-from-ports.77501 (I still have crashes when Firefox runs along with Chromium, but it pushed me to ditch the later, and I'm happy about that ;) ) .

My question is now, before trying the upgrade to v. 13, did anyone made the experiment and have good results with similar setup ? Does the pkg* works on 13, or should I plan some compiling or is the upgrade straight-forward ? I'm asking because I have limited time nowadays, and will need to plan ahead if I need to debug for some days to get my machine working, as I'm quite new (3 years only) to daily driving my x1 carbon g6 on FB.

Cheers !

Will

I had the same bad experience updating 12.1 to 12.2 in my X1 Gen1, just rolled it back.
A week ago I upgraded 12.1 to 13.0-RC5, and everything worked out of the box.

There was a three month period when 12.2 was just released when this was an issue. Because the packages were still being built for 12.1, it was still a supported version during that transition. And a few specific packages caused problems on 12.2. After that three month period the packages were built for 12.2 and this problem disappeared. Because 13.0 is an entirely new version there is no such transition period and thus this problem will not present itself.

I can confirm that it (has) worked perfectly on my Thinkpad X1 Carbon Gen6 since I moved to FB-13-Release-P1.

Back