HP 14-dq2031wm and FreeBSD 14 support

I purchased a new HP 14-dq2031wm 14" laptop from Walmart. It's a rather cheap laptop with a 1366x768 non-ips display. But it has a 128GB NVMe storage chip and 4GB of 3200Mhz DDR4. The CPU is an Intel® Core™ i3-1115G4. The configuration is integrated SOC. However, the ram does have two available slot for upgrading but opening the system requires removing the rubber feet to access the screws underneath the rubber feet (rubber strips x2).

Everything on the device worked out of the box other than the wifi. Configuring the wifi chip, (Realtek RTL8821CE-M), caused a system reboot so I replaced the internal wifi with an Atheros AR5BWB222 chip. Everything on the system works rather well. However the support for changing the backlight does not work nor does the headphone output jack. The internal speakers are very loud though and that's nice for watching video. Wayland also works well on this laptop. The webcam also works but the internal microphone does not. I am able to attach a USB microphone for capturing audio. I haven't looked much into the audio issues but I am happy to use the system as it is at the moment. It's a great machine for a backpack. :D

Overall I would say it's not a bad machine and the battery lasts for about 6 hours, advertised is 7 to 9 hours depending on usage.

Ref:
https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c08230874

Back