How to write bits in EC of a laptop?

Hi, I am a new user trying to make FreeBSD my daily driver. Apparently, the only thing is now stopping me to use it as daily driver is unable to control the fan. I am using Gigabyte Aero 10th Gen Intel Core i7 with NVIDIA GTX 1660Ti card. I was surprised when everything was working fine out of the box. Currently, I am also using Fedora where I control fans through writing bits on EC using c program uses ec_sys of linux. My laptop gets pretty hot. I don't want to set limit on the CPU frequency. I came to conclusion that my laptop's fans cannot be controlled through ACPI(or I am not capable of). I explored and tried all possible solution such as Arch's documentation or any other code regarding fan control. I hope I will not be disappointment in this forum. Thank you for the time and consideration.

Thank you for your reply. It has pre-defined fan curve settings like normal, gaming, quiet etc. I need to turn on a profile based on what I am working for, e.g., I set it to gaming when I am compiling code or rendering video. But I set it to normal other times, as it sounds like a jet engine. Currently, I do this by changing a bit on EC.

Yeah, this requires mailing the freebsd-acpi list.

The mechanism for this looks dead simple (basically peek+poke into mapped memory).

hi cracauer@ , could you please elaborate it a bit more? the problem I have is the same as freebsd_user has -- I need to ( hopefully programmatically ) influence the front-fan in my HP Z420 machine.
According to dmidecode, the address of the FRNTFAN is 0x0037. What can one do with this knowledge? How can I ( where to read about it? ) change the value residing at this address?
Is there a cli that would allow me to do this, or should I use a lib ( which one? ) to be able to read/write from such an address?

best regards,
Dmitry

IMPORTANT (update and correction for the parent post):
I was surprised when everything was working fine out of the box.
I apologize for the premature assumption without testing properly.

I decided to give BSD one last chance for my laptop, and I have been using FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE-p3 for about 15–20 days. Unfortunately, I was having a really hard time with Intel UHD, NVIDIA, Audio, Ethernet, Brightness control etc. Nothing worked out of the box. For Linux, these laptop exhibits remarkable performance out of the box.

Last edited:
I think I am sort of addicted to FreeBSD, couldn't leave her alone. Although, I was truly frustrated when nothing was working. So far, I have managed to work with all except Bluetooth connection. I will try to create a tutorial once I am done with the basic stuff.

Last edited:
Back