how to install multiple ports dependent on each other?

Hi there,

I came to FreeBSD from Linux, with which I was quite familiar. I've just understood how ports work, but at the same time I came across a problem. I tried to install www/chromium. It depends on shared library gnome-keyring.0 from security/libgnome-keyring. That depends on gconf (devel/gconf2) which depends on ldap.

And here starts the problem:

ldap in net/openldap24-client depends on sasl2.2
sasl2.2 in security/cyrus-sasl2 depends on pq.5
pq5 in databases/postgresql184-client depends on krb5.26
krb5.26 in security/heimdal depends on ldap -- and we're back at the beginning of cycle again.

This way it finally ends up with:
Code:
make: Max recursion level (500) exceeded.: Resource temporarily unavailable

I was trying to solve this whole day, but didn't solved anything. Not even Google helped.

Any suggestions?
Thanks for any help

Michal

I installed www/chromium without any problems yesterday. Recursive dependencies are usually caused by picking conflicting port options, or simply checking all of them. Try building the port with default options.

Code:
cd /usr/ports/www/chromium && make rmconfig clean install clean

Leave the options screen (the blue screen) as it is. If you end up in recursive dependencies again (and you shouldn't given this way of installing), just pkg_add -r the missing dependencies instead of letting ports handle them.

Thanks, it works fine now. It "crashed" on some deps, but I installed them with pkg_add with no problems. It was really worthwhile solving such problem.

I have used FreeBSD for years, the ports system nearly always works for me and I always specify some compilation options.

If you really think it is a system problem you should report it.

I don't think it was a system problem. I think I probably just selected bad combination of those options. I'm not used to these things, because on Linux I've compiled very few programs.

To give one example: the port options for Chromium allow you to select building with clang and gcc4.6+ simultaneously. That probably won't end well.

Well, it allows you to select them simultaneously, but later (if I remember right) it gives you an error and won't cycle. I think it was caused by something different. Nevertheless it luckily works now :)

DutchDaemon said:
To give one example: the port options for Chromium allow you to select building with clang and gcc4.6+ simultaneously. That probably won't end well.

...and ought to be reported to the port maintainer so those options are mutually exclusive.

Back