How to ask or revive a bug that hasn't been assigned to anyone

I saw a bug that affects my system. The original bug reporter detailed everything that i would have reported and no one according to the bug report is assigned to it.

1. Bug
2. My Comment

Is there a procedure to get somebody to look at it?

Thanks

Detailed everything except for the description of "sound doesn't work" - what is the hardware configuration, what are the connected devices (log shows "Intel Kaby Lake (HDMI/DP 8ch)", is there a monitor/TV connected over HDMI/DP, or do you use line out, or headphones).

P.S. I'm not going to look at that bug as I'm not really familiar with sound subsystem :) but every little bit helps.

In general: the "procedure" is to bring the bug to the attention of more people, preferably people who have time and interest in fixing it. The best place for that is probably a relevant FreeBSD mailinglist.

Now, this is an audio / snd_hda(4) related bug. Very often these can be fixed by changing the pin configuration via a sysctl. In addition to reading the snd_hda man page, you should look through these forums; there are many threads where people have fixed their problem by changing the pin configuration.

The best way is to provide a working fix. ;)

But also, that is not a bug report. That report states that the problem is with a "PC". Now I don't find any soundcard of that type on sale so that it could be plugged into a PC. It rather looks to me that the device in question might actually be a laptop. So the (so-called) "bug-report" would be not only insufficient, but just wrong. And that's only the first line - one would probably not bother to read any further.

If that is actually a laptop, then the manufacturer has created a BIOS, to integrate the hardware. Therefore the precise make and model are highly relevant. (Also they may help people with the same model to find the report.) Do I really need ot explain this?

Also, concerning that soundcard there is a lot to be found on the web (probably mostly concerning Linux). One might research and evaluate these reports, and see of something from them might be relevant. That might then get a few steps nearer to a decent bug-report.

Is there a procedure to get somebody to look at it?
The PR 267817 has been issued with

Importance: --- Affects Only Me

As you have the same problem importance should be increased to "some people". Ask for it!

Assignee:freebsd-bugs (Nobody)

Which means nobody is expected to "work" on this. Best you can hope is that somebody who is able to fix it wants to jump in.

As a general rule: No attention, no fix. Sometimes it helps nagging "not so active" maintainers carefully. But nagging "nobody" is a special operation.

The PR 267817 has been issued with

Importance: --- Affects Only Me

As you have the same problem importance should be increased to "some people". Ask for it!

Assignee:freebsd-bugs (Nobody)

Which means nobody is expected to "work" on this. Best you can hope is that somebody who is able to fix it wants to jump in.

As a general rule: No attention, no fix. Sometimes it helps nagging "not so active" maintainers carefully. But nagging "nobody" is a special operation.
Thanks.

I tried to bump that bug because i was using a Chromebook. i even tried the multimedia list and no responses. I put Debian on the Chromebook for now. who knows maybe one day it will be fixed and FreeBSD will go back on it and it will be my main.

Posts for "+1", "me too" there by multiple people could raise it.
Otherwise, it would be triaged and set back to Affects Only Me again. Do not hesitate to comment on bug reports.

i even tried the multimedia list and no responses.
I don't think freebsd-multimedia ML is the good place. It seems to be filled with [Bug ?????] mails, usually meaning it is used as group-assignee for multimedia-related bugs.

Quick triage:
If the problem is about ports/pkgs, freebsd-ports ML would be nice.
If the problem is specific to stable or releng (means, release) branches and main (current) branch works, asking MFC on freebsd-stable ML would be the good place.
Otherwise, freebsd-current ML or freebsd-hackers ML would be appropreate.
Note that all MLs mentioned above requires subscribing to post.

Often: greatest relevance = least likelihood of attention.

… seems to be filled with [Bug ?????] mails, usually meaning it is used as group-assignee …

If a list is relevant, the presence of relevant email should not be a turn-off. That's a theory.

In reality, we have the "least likelihood of attention" effect.

… Do not hesitate to comment on bug reports. …

Some restraint is appropriate.

For example, <https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=273017#c12> "Bugzilla is for bug reports not for general discussions" with reference to <https://wiki.freebsd.org/Bugzilla/TriageTemplates#Issue_is_a_.27general_support.27_question>, which was slighly peculiar in that (a) I was an editor of the page (I didn't need to be told); and (b) I had done the opposite of encourage use of Bugzilla for general discussion.

Back