Home network setup

OJ said:
@@nanotek: The subject of this thread is the original question, which was:
internet ---> modem/router ---> firewall/proxy (FreeBSD) ---> server (FreeBSD) ---> clients
Is that how it is supposed to go? And, what do I need to buy exactly?
I realize that the OP hasn't been around for a while, but it would probably be more useful to you if you started another thread. It would certainly be less confusing to me. :)

I am the OP. After the move to phpBB I couldn't use my email associated with my original account because I deleted my gmail accounts. So, I created a new user.

I've solved my TLS problem. I now have an SMTP authentication problem and created a new thread requesting help. As to most of the questions I posed here in my last few posts, I've managed to answer them myself with some help from some really great guys on different mailing lists. I'm slowly gaining a better understanding of networking and hopefully getting somehwere with running my own server. It's really just for your basic services (email, cloud, www) for myself and a few family members. But, it's (mostly) fun working it all out and definitely provides more peace of mind when your data is secured on a PC in your own study as opposed to using things like Dropbox and Google.

Thank you, though. Maybe you can help with this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well! Nice to see you still here Mark. :) Hope all is well. It certainly looks like you're moving right along.

PS: Deleted your Gmail accounts? Good for you!
~ Ole

OJ said:
Well! Nice to see you still here Mark. :) Hope all is well. It certainly looks like you're moving right along.

PS: Deleted your Gmail accounts? Good for you!
~ Ole

I thought the forums went down. I never cleared my browser cache, and everytime I came to the forum when they took it down to convert to phpBB, I had some apache error, or maybe it was the message about the conversion -- I can't remember now. Anyway, this persisted for about a week when it dawned on me. Lol

I'm not a fan of the new layout, so I'm not coming around as much. Plus, I'm soaking up everything I can from a wide range of mailing lists. There are some really smart people on them -- the Tor one in particular. Cryptography and network security is fascinating. I'll get used to the new design though, and start making lots of annoying threads again. No one posts much around here though, so I find the mailing lists more productive.

Yes. I avoid Google like the plague now. I'm trying to eradicate them from my online experience :)

Back