High CPU usage invoking pkg_add after upgrading to 9.0 RC1

Hello, there:
Well, I'm not sure if it's only my own problem, specifically. After upgrading my box to 9.0 RC1, I'm surprised to see the high CPU usage of pkg_add when installing packages from network, which hasn't been encountered while involving 8.2 before. I captured it to the image below:

vYXpndQ

So, I'm curious to glean that, need I do some tweek after upgrade or anything else? Thx.:p

You may want to check your GENERIC file (if you have sources ) for the "debug" line and the paragraph below it (the WITNESS stuff iirc) and rebuild a commented-out one. Howsoever, it could also be due to a very large packages or set-of-packages having a lot of huge tarfiles to unpack. (Another issue I may have forgotten, but less probable)

jb_fvwm2 said:
Howsoever, it could also be due to a very large packages or set-of-packages having a lot of huge tarfiles to unpack.
Well, it might be the very reason leading to the quirk, I suppose. Thank you.;)

jb_fvwm2 said:
You may want to check your GENERIC file (if you have sources ) for the "debug" line and the paragraph below it (the WITNESS stuff iirc) and rebuild a commented-out one. Howsoever, it could also be due to a very large packages or set-of-packages having a lot of huge tarfiles to unpack. (Another issue I may have forgotten, but less probable)
One more question: Do you mean pkg_add is unpacking the tarfiles while downloading, even if the process of download hasn't completed? :r

Beastie said:
But I doubt pkg_add would be wasting so much CPU time unpacking as it's the job of bsdtar.
Yep. When I'm with 8.2, pkg_add works like a charm without such a high CPU usage, indeed.

So, is this a problem encountered by me only? Well, I upgrade my box to 9.0 RC1 via the freebsd-update utility rather than source or CD-ROM.

YZMSQ said:
So, is this a problem encountered by me only? Well, I upgrade my box to 9.0 RC1 via the freebsd-update utility rather than source or CD-ROM.

I've noticed this problem as well, in a fresh install of 9.0-RC1 i386 in a VirtualBox VM. [cmd=]pkg_add -r xorg[/cmd] never completes because pkg_add is hanging with 100% CPU.

I understand you have a high CPU usage but the process is faster?

I ask that because bsdtar only uses one Core of the CPU.

I for example would like a higher CPU usage but a faster time for adding packages.

Still, in your case chances are to be a bug or a debug option enabled in Kernel.

overmind said:
I understand you have a high CPU usage but the process is faster?

I ask that because bsdtar only uses one Core of the CPU.

I for example would like a higher CPU usage but a faster time for adding packages.

Still, in your case chances are to be a bug or a debug option enabled in Kernel.
Hi, the CPU in my box has one Core only, and, the high CPU usage seems no effect on the performance of the process, as I see.

Well, I've no idea what happened, but the problem described above is missing, to my surprise (Maybe the modify from packages-9-current to packages-9-stable accounts for it?). :)

Back