Hard Disk not detected at SATA2 Controller

Hello,
I decided to istall PCBSD7.1 on my desktop computer.
It's an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 4000+ with 2Gb RAM and an 1Tb
Samsung HD103UJ hard disk on an Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 Mainboard.

The problem I got is, that PCBSD doesn't recognize the Hard Disk which is attached to the SATA2 controller of my mainboard altought it's correctly detected in the BIOS.
So I attached it to one of the simple SATA controllers and it worked.
I could install PCBSD.
That's strange as other OS's (Windows, openSUSE) have no problems with the HD at SATA2.

Is that a common problem of FreeBSD?
Any suggestions what I could do to get the hard disk working with SATA2 and PCBSD?

Thanks,
Nokobon

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that this problem also occurs when trying to install standard FreeBSD. So it`s not PCBSD specific.

vivek said:
Can you provide information about your controller name and motherboard name?

In my first post I already mentioned that my motherboard is:
Asrock 939Dual-SATA2
Or what do you mean?
Where do I get the controller's name from?

Sorry that you had a bad experience but that can happen if you fail to research the compatibility of your hardware using the release notes. I have found the specs for your mother board and a report that shows the sata controller working. They may have changed the chipset but this is not the fault of the OS, rather the manufacturer. Good luck

Thank you very much for that useful information.
If I had known that there are such reports for specific hardware, I would have searched for it earlier.

When starting PCBSD I also recognized that audio doesn`t work by default.
I don't use the onboard ethernet chip, so I don't care if it isn't supported.
But without audio support and with my Hard Disk slown down to SATA1
it doesn't make much sense to install PCBSD/FreeBSD on this machine.
Maybe I have to use Linux on my Desktop until I got FreeBSD-supported hardware...

Or any ideas what else I could try?...Let me know :)

Nokobon,

You do have the option of adding a sound card if you have an available slot for it. $20 max. And i don't think you'd notice the diff between sata1 and sata2 on your desktop. Unless you know of reason why you would you should not worry about that either. If that's not a concession you are willing to make mobos are pretty cheap at the consumer level. You can reuse your ram, drives and cards if you pick the right mobo.

Well, changing the motherboard is no option for me I think.
It's a great one and rare today. The advantage is, that there is an AGP and a PCI-Express slot.
So I can still use my Radeon9800Pro-AGP graphics card but althought I am able to upgrade to a PCI graphics card when I want to.

Though adding a sound card is the only option left.
I am clueless about soundcards since I never used anything else than onboard audio devices.
Is there any card you would recommend?

I looked for some cards in an online shop and I think I have to spent at least 35€ (about 50$). That aren't peanuts for a student like me ;)

Go back to the release notes for final confirmation but i recall picking up a CMedia card for like $12 from my local Frys. Check the websites of your local retailers then compare what they have to hardware list.

Okay, thanks very much for your advice.
Found some really inexpensive CMedia cards on ebay.
Maybe I am going to get one of those...
Do you think they are suitable for a 5.1 Surround-System?
I have no idea what's the difference between sound cards for 10€ and those for 200€.

Back