FuryBSD - New FreeBSD Desktop OS

I've just created a FuryBSD USB stick and am wondering where all the space went...

Code:
root@Vbox:~/Downloads# gpart show da0
=>      3  2955503  da0  GPT  (7.3G) [CORRUPT]
        3       29    2  freebsd-boot  (15K)
       32       48       - free -  (24K)
       80     1600    1  efi  (800K)
     1680  2953826       - free -  (1.4G)

Is it possible boot from the iso image if copied to a partition on a hard disk?

See the description of the recover command in gpart(8):
Code:
     recover       Recover a corrupt partition's scheme metadata on the geom
                   geom.  See the section entitled RECOVERING below for the
                   additional information.

The recover command accepts these options:

-f flags    Additional operational flags.  See the section
                               entitled OPERATIONAL FLAGS below for a
                               discussion about its use.
RECOVERING
     The GEOM PART class supports recovering of partition tables only for GPT.
     The GPT primary metadata is stored at the beginning of the device.  For
     redundancy, a secondary (backup) copy of the metadata is stored at the
     end of the device.  As a result of having two copies, some corruption of
     metadata is not fatal to the working of GPT.  When the kernel detects
     corrupt metadata, it marks this table as corrupt and reports the problem.
     destroy and recover are the only operations allowed on corrupt tables.

If one GPT header appears to be corrupt but the other copy remains
     intact, the kernel will log the following:

GEOM: provider: the primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.
           GEOM: provider: using the secondary instead -- recovery strongly advised.

or

GEOM: provider: the secondary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.
           GEOM: provider: using the primary only -- recovery suggested.

Also gpart commands such as show, status and list will report about
     corrupt tables.

If the size of the device has changed (e.g., volume expansion) the
     secondary GPT header will no longer be located in the last sector.  This
     is not a metadata corruption, but it is dangerous because any corruption
     of the primary GPT will lead to loss of the partition table.  This
     problem is reported by the kernel with the message:

GEOM: provider: the secondary GPT header is not in the last LBA.

This situation can be recovered with the recover command.  This command
     reconstructs the corrupt metadata using known valid metadata and
     relocates the secondary GPT to the end of the device.

NOTE: The GEOM PART class can detect the same partition table visible
     through different GEOM providers, and some of them will be marked as
     corrupt.  Be careful when choosing a provider for recovery.  If you
     choose incorrectly you can destroy the metadata of another GEOM class,
     e.g., GEOM MIRROR or GEOM LABEL.

In your case call the following for repairing the [CORRUPT] GPT partition scheme and by this reclaiming the space of your memstick:
# gpart recover da0

Well that worked!
Code:
=>      3  2955503  da0  GPT  (7.3G) [CORRUPT]
        3       29    2  freebsd-boot  (15K)
       32       48       - free -  (24K)
       80     1600    1  efi  (800K)
     1680  2953826       - free -  (1.4G)

root@Vbox:~/Downloads# gpart recover da0
da0 recovered
=>       3  15280181  da0  GPT  (7.3G)
         3        29    2  freebsd-boot  (15K)
        32        48       - free -  (24K)
        80      1600    1  efi  (800K)
      1680  15278504       - free -  (7.3G)

So does this efi partition contain FuryBSD? Can't figure out how this works at all...

Yeah, I also found it didn't support my Intel wireless card. These days, for better or worse, wireless support is almost essential in a live CD (IMHO). It did work fine with ethernet though.

Unfortunately, the iso image has no intel wifi support. Or I miss something ?
The hardware rapport is very usefull, but can we have the information «a driver exists» (and the level of support) ?
I a general maner, I stop trying to install freebsd (native/ghost/trident/...) because I didn't find a simple repeatable way to know wich driver I have to install.
I will retry FuryBSD with an ethernet connection (but how to pass this point with laptop without ethernet ?)
I realy like the concept (just launch freebsd tool instead of reinvent them).

I worked with the author of dsbdriverd from the NomadBSD project to make iwn work out of box already in the most recent image on github. With another update soon I should have iwm working with FreeBSD's out of box tool devmatch. Then there will be mechanisms in place to load all of the correct firmwares, drivers automatically as much as possible.

I worked with the author of dsbdriverd from the NomadBSD project to make iwn work out of box already in the most recent image on github. With another update soon I should have iwm working with FreeBSD's out of box tool devmatch. Then there will be mechanisms in place to load all of the correct firmwares, drivers automatically as much as possible.

I have been waiting a long time (2010) the Broadcom BCM4313 card wireless driver for compatibility with FreeBSD and we are now at the gates of 2020, in Linux that driver works correctly.

kpedersen said:
Code:
# pkg install xorg
# pkg install openbox

Done! ;)

The problem is not only that, but you have to manually do many additional steps for a decent desktop environment such as setting the keyboard, language, or configure to detect devices (USB, CD/DVD, SmartPhone, Tablet, others) as other systems do automatically when installing without going through the cumbersome torture of installing package by package, because most end users in the world have no idea.

In ArchiveOS , many projects for FreeBSD desktop environment have failed in their attempts and sleep eternally in oblivion.

So you do know how to use Google.

without going through the cumbersome torture of installing package by package, because most end users in the world have no idea.

And you're the one who has been torturing themselves...

With any Linux distribution, you can of course install in graphical mode, but you still have a long post-installation phase before you get something usable. With Ubuntu, my post-install scripts used to take 90 mn, only 30 mn with Void, Devuan was somewhere between these extremes.

The only difference with FreeBSD is that you start your post-install script directly from the command line instead of opening the terminal window of your DE.

Furthermore, if you want to use a 100% GPL Linux distribution, you'll have as many hardware support issues as with FreeBSD (wifi seldom works with these, for instance).

If it weren't for the sheer pleasure of learning (and for the people I meet and share with throughout this adventure), I wouldn't use any open source OS.

After all, the easiest OS to install is MS Windows: you unpack your fresh-from-the-shop computer, turn it on and it's there. No one can beat that.

And above all, the most difficult part of an installation is neither going through the installer, nor executing post-install customization.

No, the worst part of an installation is to get into the BIOS and configure it so you can boot from your USB stick.

All PCs have a different BIOS, so this cannot be documented to help newcomers. If you don't have a strong computer background, the only thing you'll ever be able to boot is your preinstalled Windows. PC manufacturers do all they can to prevent you from doing anything else - and they're really good at that!

This implies that if you've been able to boot from your Linux or BSD installation medium, you have all the required knowledge to go through the rest of the process, or you'll be able to find any missing information as the need arises.

The problem is not only that, but you have to manually do many additional steps for a decent desktop environment such as setting the keyboard, language, or configure to detect devices (USB, CD/DVD, SmartPhone, Tablet, others) as other systems do automatically when installing without going through the cumbersome torture of installing package by package, because most end users in the world have no idea.

After all, the easiest OS to install is MS Windows: your unpack your fresh-from-the-shop computer, turn it on and it's there. No one can beat that.

That's true until you want to customize the behavior of Windows. Yeah I can install to a working OS in some minutes, but I spent literally months tweaking things to get Windows running the way I want going from 7 to 10. Of course I keep all my tweaks in scripts so I don't have to do that every time I load a new instance of Windows, but it took quite a bit of effort to get there. If they decide to do a major revision to the OS I'll have to go through that again.

I do the same for FreeBSD, all my configuration is scripted, but it took a small fraction of the time to customize the behavior of FreeBSD to get it running the way I want. Major revision changes usually allow me to send those scripts straight across with some small tweaks. There is a world of difference in the ability to customize things between the two systems.

I spent a full day locking down Win10Pro, finding a program here or there to do this or that and still felt like the Sword of Damocles was hanging over my head the whole time I was online.

It takes just about as long to set up and configure one of my FreeBSD desktops and tweak the third party programs I choose to suit my needs, and those programs only which all come from the ports tree.

I used to do 5 laptops at once when I installed the latest build and the only issue was keeping track of where I was in ports with each machine, since every one runs at a slightly different speed. My i386 was slowest and came in dead last, but it still only took about 24 hours. Now I use my gaming fan when compiling ports and do one at a time.

I can state with all certainty that compiling www/firefox-esr now takes longer than x11/xorg on my machina. I don't find it to be torturous in the least and enjoy using ports, but that's only my opinion and personal preference.

I've been busy and haven't had the chance to install Fury but it's on my list of things to do.

As a Project Trident (BSD) refugee who migrated to GhostBSD over the weekend, I'm very much looking forward to trying out the FuryBSD KDE spin. KDE is my favorite DE, and combining it with pure FreeBSD (read: the original rc.d instead of OpenRC) with ZFS root is something I've been wanting for a very long time. I like the approach here a lot; if it could be metaported(?) to FreeBSD proper that would be even better. But 1 step at a time ;) Desktop FreeBSD FTW!

Some people leave freebsd after they tried to install it once and failed the first time. Just like I failed in installing Arch linux and never tried that linux distribution again.

I can relate. I dropped GhostBSD in 2018 and installed Trident instead after I couldn't get the former's installation USB to boot.

No they won't. They'll get used to the point and click methodology and learn nothing. Just look at your average Linux and Window user as proof..

I probably learned more about (mostly) POSIX (compliant) OSes in the year I used Trident than in my previous 18 of using other various other non-BSDs. Never underestimate the power of an intuitive GUI combined with solid documentation of the underlying OS (except for OpenRC. I kept having to work around that.) Poor/incomplete/nonexistent documentation is the bane of Linux.

It should be noted that GUI environments are, in a way, off topic for FreeBSD

Good thing we're in the Off-Topic section of the forum 😉

The Ubuntu developers in particular created their own flakey tools

The only trouble I've had with Ubuntu (now on 19.10) tools is
Code:
unattended-upgrades
doesn't work the way it does on Debian Buster (which I also run.) Which it to say it doesn't work, and I haven't had the time to figure out how to make it work yet. But the rest works flawlessly.

The result was that you simply had the web awash with forums posts and "bug reports" containing "same problem", "me too!", "help!", looking for a quick fix - i.e. exactly what you see in various Windows user support channels. People deceived by an OS which supposedly didn't require use of the CLI anymore, found themselves up the proverbial creek without a paddle. The rest is history.

This is what happens when any technology goes mainstream. Car accidents skyrocketed after motor vehicles became widespread, too. But I think we can all agree our quality of life in general is better due to motorized personal transportation.

Yes, the rest is history. Ubuntu became popular and suddenly hardware and software manufacturers started paying attention to Linux. Mock it all you want, but in my arrogant opinion, both Linux and FreeBSD users owe Ubuntu a lot of thanks since many things developed for Linux can be made useful for FreeBSD users. Sorry, I get the Ubuntu hatred for those who feel it was a bad thing to lower the bar but I think that that lowering is what made hardware and software makers more conscious of Linux and is the reason that it's become so easy to use Linux on almost new hardware. (The BSDs are a bit behind there, but can also usually work on new hardware.)

Nailed it.

you still have a long post-installation phase before you get something usable.

"Usable" is pretty subjective. I often compare setting up an OS with moving into a house. Sure, you can sleep in it immediately, but it takes a while for it to feel like home. And "feels like home" varies widely from user to user.

No, the worst part of an installation is to get into the BIOS and configure it so you can boot from your USB stick.

Hahaha you should try installing OpenIndiana sometime. The installer boots only in UEFI mode, which is odd because the documentation specifically says the OS doesn't support UEFI. But since the OS supports legacy boot only, unless you remember to reenter the BIOS and change the boot mode back to legacy your brand new installation will fail to boot. There are some other fun aspects too, such as a Live USB that can boot but fail to initialize the SATA controller, resulting in it being unable to detect any disks to install to. But the installer doesn't tell you this, instead it just fails to launch the installation GUI when you click the shortcut. No error message from CLI invocation either. I had to create Github wiki page to keep track of all the tweaks I was making just to get the darn thing to work. Good times 😂

Good thing we're in the Off-Topic section of the forum
That misses my point. My point was that desktop software is not the realm of the FreeBSD operating system; that is, FreeBSD does not develop such things and is not responsible for their creation or development.

I probably learned more about (mostly) POSIX (compliant) OSes in the year I used Trident than in my previous 18 of using other various other non-BSDs.

Poor/incomplete/nonexistent documentation is the bane of Linux.
I'm pretty sure that is the reason and not the use of a GUI. A GUI is always more restrictive than terminal usage but that subject has been done to death.

That misses my point. My point was that desktop software is not the realm of the FreeBSD operating system; that is, FreeBSD does not develop such things and is not responsible for their creation or development.

True, but I don't see what bearing that has on this discussion, given that it's located exactly where it's allowed to be 🤷‍♂️ Those who don't like it because it's "off-topic" are free to limit themselves to other sections of the forum not explicitly named Off-Topic.

I'm pretty sure that is the reason and not the use of a GUI.

As a visual learner who had difficulty understanding abstract, non-spatial concepts in school, it's both GUI and documentation. GUIs help me map concepts spatially in my head. Without them, I rapidly get confused and lost. It's OK if you don't understand or appreciate that, and I'm not saying this applies to anyone else. But I'm the only person qualified to speak about my own experience. All my OS installations - Windows 10, Debian, Raspbian, Ubuntu, GhostBSD, and OpenIndiana - have DEs. I just didn't point out the GUI factor in my "bane" statement because all the Linux distros I've used have DEs too.

I downloaded the Live image today to try it out and see they now offer KDE and XFCE as a DE.

GUIs help me map concepts spatially in my head. Without them, I rapidly get confused and lost. It's OK if you don't understand or appreciate that, and I'm not saying this applies to anyone else. But I'm the only person qualified to speak about my own experience.

How does a Desktop Environment facilitate that beyond a menu? I'm genuinely interested.

Not to drag this too off-topic but for me, the UI is irrelevant in terms of how I view the system. I personally think that a DE is really a convenience thing because one does not have to find a WM, then a file manager, etc. Functionally, they are identical. Some DEs being in all sorts of other functionality like vaults, search capability (baloo, tracker), plus others. Some may want this, some may not. Personal preference really.

I've tried furybsd its perfect !!
It has the fastest installation of any operating system i have tried it actually takes almost no time to install lol how did you make it that way its fantastic !
At the beginning i was thinking that something went wrong the i rebooted my system and i was using furybsd !
The only things i would like to improve is about hardware detection and graphics drivers, for example i have an amd rx580 so you should use drm-kmod and amdgpu driver and not radeon
also please apply to /boot/loader.conf this parameter hw.syscons.disable=1 so it can boot using amdgpu via efi .
Wireless network support is nice but i think the applet takes some time to load and connect.
Overall is very good and if you ask me its the best of all other easy freebsd/trueos graphical installations/ distros ?? and i have tried nomadbsd & ghostbsd.
Its the best this is my opinion and is so painless to install freebsd and less time consuming it saves you a lot of time that you can use for doing other things .
If you want to be the best of all you must do something with graphics drivers detection and if its possible to give the user the abillity to select which desktop wants to install, nothing else really !

Isn't xfce4 not feature complete on BSD due to linuxism in it. I'd be more interested if it used KDE by default as it bundles more easily with notifications, integrated emails, password manager and a more feature rich desktop environment overall which you'd expect of a modern day operating system. Is XFCE4 solely for the live system?

They are bundled separately and you choose the .iso with the DE you want, like with Debian.

I have my T61 running the Live USB with XFCE now. It recognized all the hardware and I'm listening to Tool on youtube now through Firefox.

It's kind of slow running from the USB stick with only 4GB RAM but everything works to the point of boring, just like Debian. I believe that was their intent. :p

It doesn't have a firewall set up, TCP port 80 is open to nmap from the LAN. There is some text editing to do like there is with a new FreeBSD install, like delete the toor account from /etc/passwd.

The file system is different in that there is no /usr/ports directory so I'll have to look it over a while. I've only had it running about 10 minutes and given it a cursory glance but will install it to disk on my W520.

It doesn't look like it has the full suite of programs I would expect from XFCE, whether or not that is my unfamiliarity with it I can't say. But I don't like a lot of programs chosen for me so that's a plus. The Live .img doesn't have audio or video player, games and a lot of useless gadgetry.

The only problem for me was with the graphics driver but i can configure it after i have installed it , its the first serious attempt to create an easy installer for freebsd !
It works and installation is fast on my pc with nvme ssd it takes 1 minute maximum including disk configuration.
Congratulations to the team , good job ! Finally a really good project ! (that installs actual FreeBSD not trueos )

They are bundled separately and you choose the .iso with the DE you want, like with Debian.

I have my T61 running the Live USB with XFCE now. It recognized all the hardware and I'm listening to Tool on youtube now through Firefox.

It's kind of slow running from the USB stick with only 4GB RAM but everything works to the point of boring, just like Debian. I believe that was their intent. :p

It doesn't have a firewall set up, TCP port 80 is open to nmap from the LAN. There is some text editing to do like there is with a new FreeBSD install, like delete the toor account from /etc/passwd.

The file system is different in that there is no /usr/ports difrectory so I'll have to look it over a while. I've only had it running about 10 minutes and given it a cursory glance but will install it to disk on my W520.

Last edited:
Back