Solved From 12.4-RELEASE-p9 to 13.2 or 14.0?

I apologize in advance for the newbie question. I currently use Freebsd as a home server for backups, data storage, home automation, and jails.
My zfs version dates back to Opensolaris, but has served me well so far. It's version 28. I had originally held off while exploring OS versions. But am happy with Freebsd and would be comfortable updating that zfs version, but not sure when or even if that should be tackled.

Currently, I run snapshot updates to a large single device drive.

My main data tank which is a multi drive vdev configured as raidz1-0, in which I have updated the devices over the years shows the apparently inconsequential notice:
status: One or more devices are configured to use a non-native block size.
Expect reduced performance.

Noticing that my current version is EOL, I am looking for advice on upgrading.

Should I go right to 14.0? Any issues with my old zfs version? Step to 13.2 first?

Thanks for any advice.

If you want to keep maximum compatibility of your pool(s) with illumos/opensolaris, just don't run zpool upgrade.
The ZFS pool version is not 'locked' to the installed FreeBSD version - you can always import pools with older versions, but newer versions might be a problem because of newer properties. I still have several "pre-ZoL"-pools around that were created back with 11.x,12.x or on illumos and were never zpool upgraded to keep compatibility with illumos (smartOS), despite now being imported and actively used on 13.2-RELEASE hosts.

As for the OS itself: Whether you want to go to 14.0-RELEASE or only to 13.2-RELEASE depends on how adventurous you are. I usually never run .0 releases on servers, only on machines I could live with occasional breakage (e.g. my laptop).
If you don't need some of the new features/hardware support in 14.0-RELEASE I'd stay with the 13 branch - at least that's what I also did on my server at home and with systems @work that still were on 12.4

Regarding the non-native blocksize: no upgrade will change that. You'd have to replace every disk manually and force the blocksize (e.g. 4k) on that provider. There are a lot of pitfalls and dead ends regarding blocksizes and updating/changing that or even removing/adding drives with a different blocksize. I've been stuck with a borked pool (i.e. unable to add/remove/replace providers because of different blocksizes within a vdev) more than once, so I usually just nuke a pool where providers have been added with wrong blocksizes, re-create the pool and send|recv the datasets from backup.

Step to 13.2 first?

Yes. Upgrade to (patched) 13.2-RELEASE-p⋯ before upgrade to (patched) 14.0-RELEASE-p⋯.

Check UPDATING files before each upgrade.

<https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=14.0r> is the 14.0-RELEASE metabug. I have requested addition of <https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=273890> to its dependency tree.

Last edited:
Back