Forums Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.
anlashok said:
And the forum used to not let new users post without moderation for their first (10?) posts, now it just let me post directly here.
It appears that new users are a member of the usergroups Registered users and Just Registered, but their default group is set to the former. Or the limitation you're referring to simply has not been imposed onto members of the Just Registered group yet. An admin will probably sort this out soon, if only for anti-spam reasons.

It seems something has happened. I was bumped off and had to log in again. Now I can't view the forum. Clicking on "View new posts" only gives one result. When logged out, there is still no "View new posts" so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Re: Forum favicon

Thanks for reporting. We're already aware of it (I actually don't see a favicon at all, BTW). It will be fixed soon. We have just migrated from vBulletin to phpBB so there are more things that need fixing.

Re: Forum favicon

fonz said:
We have just migrated from vBulletin to phpBB so there are more things that need fixing.

Of course there may be more "critical" things at the moment that need to be fixed. Thanks for the reply.

I also just noticed that the Google Bot was reading "membership details". It might be a good idea to have a look at what the robots are(n't) allowed to follow and/or index.

I see the banned users group counts 15,000 names! How comes? Did they fail to follow formatting guidelines or what?

anlashok said:
And the forum used to not let new users post without moderation for their first (10?) posts, now it just let me post directly here.

Take the chance and post quickly to reach 10 §e

vanessa said:
I see the banned users group counts 15'000 names! How comes? Did they fail to follow formatting guidelines or what?

99% of these were killed during the sign-up phase because they were on blacklists, tried to embellish their profiles with spam URLs, etc. So most of them you have never seen, and will never see on the forums. Or as I call it: my job here.

DutchDaemon said:
Or as I call it: my job here.
Also see a message I posted earlier in this thread. Yes, we have lots of banned users, but almost all of those are spammers. @DutchDaemon catches most of them before they can even post anything (how's that Thanks button coming?) and we all mop up the rest. The others are mostly trolls or people asking for assistance with (illegally!) running METIN2 servers. Very few (if any) people have ever been banned for language skills and/or formatting, although some have come close and there has been the occasional temporary ban.

Last edited by a moderator:
anlashok said:

That is not correct. Any new user can post immediately, unless they post something like a URL or any other 'controlled substance'.

sossego said:
My post is more postier than the most postiest post of the postiest poster! I have achieved the ultimate posticism of being a posty poster.

You must be the poster boy. :)

DutchDaemon said:
vanessa said:
I see the banned users group counts 15'000 names! How comes? Did they fail to follow formatting guidelines or what?

99% of these were killed during the sign-up phase because they were on blacklists, tried to embellish their profiles with spam URLs, etc. So most of them you have never seen, and will never see on the forums. Or as I call it: my job here.

IMHO, this good practice also should be applied to the FreeBSD Mailing Lists. In fact, having to see a lot of unfiltered spam is extremely annoying, seriously, there is a plague :\

DutchDaemon said:
vanessa said:

I always knew that forum admins and moderators have a hard job, and now I can see why.

sossego said:
My post is more postier than the most postiest post of the postiest poster! I have achieved the ultimate posticism of being a posty poster.

Very well! The next level would be to make a POST before posting.

cpm said:
DutchDaemon said:
vanessa said:

IMHO, this good practice also should be applied to the FreeBSD Mailing Lists. In fact, having to see a lot of unfiltered spam is extremely annoying, seriously, there is a plague :\

Yes, this is true. However I'd rather appreciate to pull all list posters to the forum and close the lists. It is annoying to always search for information in two places. Not to talk about the (missing) formatting of the lists.

vanessa said:
Yes, this is true. However I'd rather appreciate to pull all list posters to the forum and close the lists. It is annoying to always search for information in two places. Not to talk about the (missing) formatting of the lists.
Well, you have a "new discussion" to open a "new thread" ;)

PS. Of course, responding to your new discussion will be a pleasure.
PSS. Please, you may begin.

Symlink showpost.php to viewtopic.php?

Would it be possible to symlink or alias showpost.php to viewtopic.php? I have modestly extensive FreeBSD notes, with hyperlinks pointing to the old forum, and while they are now all broken (as is the rest of the planet's old content that's trying to link into the FreeBSD forums), they appear to work fine if I s/showpost/viewtopic/.

Google will of course turn its all-seeing eye on the new forum and quickly rectify the issue. The rest of the hyperlinks out there will probably just go stale without the forum having a link or redirect of some sort.

Thanks!

Hi FreeBSD forums team.

Is this the correct thread to suggest a couple of tweaks?

Basically, could I request that the post dates go back to being relative for the first couple of days? I.e "Today", "Yesterday". I find it uncomfortable to have to find out what the current date (and year) is whilst quickly scanning the forum for new posts ;)

Also, on the main page, it tells me the username of the latest posts but not actually the thread topic. I would then need to drill down into the subforum to work out where the new post actually is. It was much easier when I could just click the topic title on the right and go straight to the right place. While both the username and topic title would be ideal, if this is not possible, then just the topic title would be better than only the username.

Other than this, good job on getting the forums migrated. I found converting forum databases to be really faffy. :beergrin

Edit: I might also add that with regards to the avatars... Everyone, get your animated GIFs in while there is still time!

kpedersen said:
Basically, could I request that the post dates go back to being relative for the first couple of days? I.e "Today", "Yesterday". I find it uncomfortable to have to find out what the current date (and year) is whilst quickly scanning the forum for new posts ;)

That should work if you have the correct settings in your User CP.

DutchDaemon said:
That should work if you have the correct settings in your User CP.

Ah, yes it does have that feature in "Global Options" -> "My date format". Strange because I completely missed that when I was searching for it earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back