ZFS Fixing 512B block size in a raidz1 pool?

Hi,

Observe my zraid1 pool:

Code:
# zpool status -v tank
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices are configured to use a non-native block size.
  Expect reduced performance.
action: Replace affected devices with devices that support the
  configured block size, or migrate data to a properly configured
  pool.
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 16h58m with 0 errors on Sun Apr 26 04:58:35 2015
config:

NAME  STATE  READ WRITE CKSUM
  tank  ONLINE  0  0  0
  raidz1-0  ONLINE  0  0  0
  da3  ONLINE  0  0  0
  da2  ONLINE  0  0  0
  da4  ONLINE  0  0  0
  da1  ONLINE  0  0  0
  da6  ONLINE  0  0  0
  da5  ONLINE  0  0  0  block size: 512B configured, 4096B native
  logs
  ada0s1d  ONLINE  0  0  0

errors: No known data errors

How can I fix this da5 drive for 4k block size? I can't seem to detach it from the raidz1 pool (only mirror devices and log devices can be detached as I read from the manpages). I have full backups. Perhaps the only way is to detach the drive from the controller, clear it, and attach it as a new drive to resilver the pool?

Same problem twice in one day... I assume this is people upgrading and suddenly finding that newer versions of FreeBSD/ZFS are spotting the mismatched block sizes, when everything looked fine in previous versions.

Your pool is configured to write in 512b blocks and that disk is a 4k "advanced format" disk.

You will need to either remove the disk and find a 512b sector disk to replace it with, or destroy and recreate the pool with a 4k block size (ashift of 12). Just removing the disk and putting it back in won't help as it will still be a 4k disk in a 512b pool.

Alternatively you can just leave it as it is if it's a lot of hassle to rebuild the pool, and you would rather just put up with slightly lower performance. It's not really causing any problems other than performance - that and an annoying message in zpool status.

Back