Error attempting to install nvidia-driver-96

I have installed 9.1-RELEASE and it works OK in console mode. I have an Nvidia MX440 video card and it works with the nv driver when I issue startx. I am trying the install the nvidia-driver-96 driver. I get this error message:
Code:
===>  Building for nvidia-driver-96.43.23_1
===> src (all)
"/usr/src/sys/conf/kmod.mk", line 76: Could not find bsd.compiler.mk
"/usr/src/sys/conf/kmod.mk", line 112: Malformed conditional (${COMPILER_TYPE} != "clang")
"/usr/src/sys/conf/kmod.mk", line 116: if-less endif
"/usr/src/sys/conf/kern.mk", line 18: Malformed conditional (${COMPILER_TYPE} == "clang")
"/usr/src/sys/conf/kern.mk", line 33: if-less endif
"/usr/src/sys/conf/kern.mk", line 55: Malformed conditional (${COMPILER_TYPE} != "clang")
"/usr/src/sys/conf/kern.mk", line 62: if-less endif
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
Line 76 of /usr/src/sys/conf/kmod.mk contains
Code:
.include <bsd.compiler.mk>
File bsd.compiler.mk really does exist at /usr/src/share/mk/bsd.compiler.mk. What appears strange is that the previous line (75) of kmod.mk contains:
Code:
.include <bsd.init.mk>
and kmod.mk didn't seem to have trouble finding bsd.init.mk at /usr/src/share/mk/bsd.init.mk. (The same directory where the bsd.compiler.mk file is located.

I don't know what the correct fix for this is.

Any suggestions?

Make sure your source tree in /usr/src/ is in sync with your system.

If you mean svn update /usr/src, then, yes, I tried that. I still get the same error when trying to install the nvidia driver.
Code:
===>  Building for nvidia-driver-96.43.23_1
===> src (all)
"/usr/src/sys/conf/kmod.mk", line 76: Could not find bsd.compiler.mk

tuclogicguy said:
If you mean svn update /usr/src, then, yes, I tried that.
Yes, but did you fetch the source for 9.1-RELEASE or 9-STABLE?

9-STABLE (after investigating Subversion in more detail and understanding better what I was doing.) What I grabbed was https://svn0.us-west.freebsd.org/base/stable/9. I deleted the entire /usr/src tree I had downloaded and downloaded https://svn0.us-west.freebsd.org/base/releng/9.1. I tried installing the nvidia-driver-96 driver again and this time it worked. I did some research into what the "FreeBSD GART" option was about and decided that was probably a good thing to have so I rebuilt and reinstalled the driver with that option enabled.

Next, I created a /boot/loader.conf file with contents
Code:
agp_load="YES"
nvidia_load="YES"

Next, I added these lines to the xorg.conf.new I had created previously with the more basic nv driver:
Code:
	Option	"NvAGP" "2"
	Driver      "nvidia"
Rebooted and tested the modified xorg.conf.new file and X came up and worked. I copied the config file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and tried startx from my regular user login and it worked. X came up, seemed pretty snappy, and no kernel panic. I examined /var/log/Xorg.0.log and verified that the NVIDIA driver was really being used and saw messages about 2D and 3D acceleration being initialized. Tried glxgears and got 1384 FPS. (Got 60 FPS with the basic nv driver, probably synced to the vertical refresh rate.)

Bottom line: I finally got X to work on this old hardware!

Thanks for your help.

Back