UFS dump UFS with SU+J... coming soon?

I recently installed FreeBSD. While reading up on various backup techniques, I've read many posts spanning years on the inability to use dump to backup a live filesystem with SU+J enabled. It appears that a fix may finally be on the way. Can anyone point me to a link where I can track the status of this project?

>>>Finally, dump(8) does not work in live mode (-L) on a filesystem, with Journaled Soft Updates (SU+J).

>>>Bug 195485 - [ufs] mksnap_ffs(8) cannot create snapshot with journaled soft updates enabled

>>>The project is expected to be completed around the middle of 2023 with the work divided between two milestones. After milestone 1, snapshots will be enabled when running with journaled soft updates and they will be usable for doing background dumps on a live filesystem. Milestone 2 involves extending fsck_ffs to be able to do a background check using a snapshot on a filesystem running with journaled soft updates.

Milestone #1 referenced above is in 13.2-RELEASE, see the release notes under 'UFS Changes', including a link to updated source code.

Documentation such as the Handbook, as ever, will lag behind the latest code, and need to be version-specific.

Back