Solved drm error after upgrade FreeBSD

Hi!

After upgrade from FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE to FreeBSD 11.2-STABLE and
rebuilded all ports ( portmaster -af)
I have got an error while run X:

Code:
drmn0: error: No GEM object associated to handle 0x000002D0, can't create framebuffer
Hardware is
Code:
udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1002_9804'
  freebsd.driver = 'vgapci'  (string)
  freebsd.unit = 0  (0x0)  (int)
  info.parent = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer'  (string)
  info.product = 'Wrestler [Radeon HD 6250]'  (string)
  info.subsystem = 'pci'  (string)
  info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1002_9804'  (string)
  info.vendor = 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]'  (string)
  pci.device_class = 3  (0x3)  (int)
  pci.device_protocol = 0  (0x0)  (int)
  pci.device_subclass = 0  (0x0)  (int)
  pci.freebsd.bus = 0  (0x0)  (int)
  pci.freebsd.device = 1  (0x1)  (int)
  pci.freebsd.function = 0  (0x0)  (int)
  pci.freebsd.secondary_bus = 0  (0x0)  (int)
  pci.product = 'Wrestler [Radeon HD 6250]'  (string)
  pci.product_id = 38916  (0x9804)  (int)
  pci.subsys_product_id = 1347  (0x543)  (int)
  pci.subsys_vendor = 'Acer Incorporated [ALI]'  (string)
  pci.subsys_vendor_id = 4133  (0x1025)  (int)
  pci.vendor = 'Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]'  (string)
  pci.vendor_id = 4098  (0x1002)  (int)

Thanks for advice.

This error message somehow don`t reflect actual problem. I am not expert but had same situation few days back on 11-STABLE . After lot of searching I installed drm-kmod and there was no problem.

Hi!
I can't to install drm-kmod
because when I was trying to install
I got an error:
Code:
===>  drm-kmod-g20180930 legacy kmod not required on less than 12.

*** Error code 1

Stop. 

make: stopped in /usr/ports/graphics/drm-kmod

Oleg.

Hi!
I've decided to leave STABLE branch on my notebook acer.
After install FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE I got an error while run X
Code:
drmn0: error: No GEM object associated to handle 0x000002D0, can't create framebuffer

Then I have installed drm-kmod-g20180930, but I still got an error while run X:
Code:

Code:
$ pkg version | cgrep drm
drm-kmod-g20180930                 =
drm-stable-kmod-g20180822_1        =
libdrm-2.4.93,1                    =

My hardware is acer aspire one 522 with Wrestler [Radeon HD 6250].

Can anyone help me with it?

Thanks, Oleg

Mine had that problem too. It's likely either an error in the ports sourcecode, or the newer update is incompatible with older ports/packages. You may have to update ports sources and rebuild those ports from scratch.

When I upgraded drm ports a few days ago, it built, but the desktop did not run on FreeBSD. When I tried to rebuild it, that build failed. I removed everything, and reinstalled drm drivers, and that installed, but I still haven't finnished updating my ports, because I'm still configuring it.

It might have to do with new Wayland features, because I saw a difference in dependencies for some xorg and driver related ports. Hopefully, this replaces older xorg dependencies. If it wasn't Wayland, it is another major difference.

I'm not using STABLE branch either. I'm using 11.2. It has to do with the HEAD branch of ports. HEAD is probably the most commonly used, and the default for ports.

gnath mentioned FreeBSD STABLE release. This is likely more about ports branch, and unlikely about the FreeBSD version.

Also, I used the Radeon driver, and I did not have the VESA driver in the kernel or the Xorg driver configuration options. If you haven't excluded VESA from the kernel, maybe using the VESA driver might work, enough to temporarily fix your driver. VESA is not the solution you're looking for, but it might get your desktop up and running, if you need to access it soon.

They're likely going to merge the two threads.

* edit - I rebuilt it, and it still failed to find some drm file, it was a Linux elf error or it was a mismatch.

I had Radeon GPU on 11-stable branch. They are probably working with few problems of integration on stable branch. Here is also a link . As you suggested, start building X from fresh with VESA driver. 11-STABLE is really stable.

I had Radeon GPU on 11-stable branch. They are probably working with few problems of integration on stable branch. Here is also a link . As you suggested, start building X from fresh with VESA driver. 11-STABLE is really stable.
The answer(s) to the framebuffer error is in that link. Unfortunately for me, the errors I got were much worse. I'll rebuild it all from scratch: that should solve it.

Hi!
To solve my issue I've made the next:
1) Deinstalled:
- x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati;
- graphics/drm-kmod;

2) Installed:
- x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-legacy;
- graphics/drm-next-kmod

and
3) Rebuilded all ports which depended from them (2).

Thanks to all who helped me!
Oleg

I just upgraded and got the same problem. Thanks to God I have another computer with OpenBSD from which I was able to find this thread.

What did really happen? Was a xf86-video-ati upgraded and not enough tested?

For me it is an horrible experience. As the problem came, I got some panic. I do not play with the computer, I need a working computer. Without X11 I can read Email, but the Browser with X11 is so necessary, that without it is very difficult to google and find a solution to this problem

Back