Do you run Firefox inside a jail ?

What's the advantage of running firefox in a jail ?
Low if you have vulnerable OS/pkg's are in use. That is why servers don't have browsers. How much useful are general users to the interested parties. Probably only my identity and banking activities are at stake.

There are a few.
  • You can contain the cancerous spread of dependencies and general cruft that Firefox spams all over your system.
  • When firefox gets compromised, nothing can access your useful / private data.
  • When you want to clean up firefox and / or remain on the update treadmill, you can just blow away the entire userland and fetch a whole new version and dependencies, ensuring there will be no conflicting cruft remaining.
In fairness, a plain chroot is also pretty close.

If a (typically GUI) application has more than half a dozen or so dependencies, I tend to stick it in a chroot/jail just for good housekeeping. Its a bit like flatpak but not crap.

I would like to disagree.
* You can contain the cancerous spread of dependencies and general cruft that Firefox spams all over your system.
-> The dependencies of firefox move from the host to the jail . The dependencies remain.

* When you want to clean up firefox and / or remain on the update treadmill, you can just blow away the entire userland and fetch a whole new version and dependencies, ensuring there will be no conflicting cruft remaining.
-> If i want to clean my host from firefox i only need to do.
Code:
rm -fR /home/mysuser/.cache /home/myuser/.mozilla

You can also limit how much RAM firefox can hog, supposedly. rctl(8) works on jails and specific-number processes. I'm in the middle of reading a klarasystems article about that. Basic idea, if you apply rctl(8) to the jail that has firefox in it, this just might work. But like I said, I'm in the middle of exploring that.

I would like to disagree.
* You can contain the cancerous spread of dependencies and general cruft that Firefox spams all over your system.
-> The dependencies of firefox move from the host to the jail . The dependencies remain.
Yes, but they haven't metastasized into your main host system.
Code:
rm -fR /home/mysuser/.cache /home/myuser/.mozilla
You need to do more than that to kill all the malignant cells.

Back