Solved /dev/vtcon does not exist when using virtio_console.ko

Hi there!

I am currently quite confused. I try get up qemu-guest-agent on a fresh installed FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE, but it always fails with the following error message:

Code:
error opening channel '/dev/vtcon/org.qemu.guest_agent.0': No such file or directory

I've followed this guide for setting it up: https://github.com/aborche/qemu-guest-agent/blob/master/README.md

It states that after loading virtio_console the directory /dev/vtcon should exist with the a softlink pointing to org.qemu.guest_agent.0 -> ../ttyV0.1.
But when I load the virtio_console with kldload virtio_console the directory /dev/vtcon isn't created and I don't get why. Most threads I read up on this problem stated that I just need to load the virtio_console, but in my case this does not solve anything.

Curiously enough on another VM I set up early this year following the above guide there was no problem and I could easily see /dev/vtcon with the softlink pointing to org.qemu.guest_agent.0 -> ../ttyV0.1. With that I also set up qemu-guest-agent without any problems.

But with this new VM I don't get it to work. Do you might have an idea why this is happening?

Just a quick update on this topic:

My problem somehow relates to the type of virtualized cpu I use in my hypervisor proxmox. I looked at different settings on my working FreeBSD VM and saw, that it uses the type kvm64. I then set this setting on my new FreeBSD VM and now after loading the virtio_console.ko kernel module, the /dev/vtcon directory shows up pointing to org.qemu.guest_agent.0 -> ../ttyV0.1.

I am yet unsure why the virtio_console only shows up when using the kvm64 in proxmox. I may need to read up on that.

Back