Detailed scan on wifi

When I run iw dev wlan0 scan on Linux I get detailed information about each SSID found such as:

Code:
BSS 8c:de:f9:47:54:02(on wlan0)                                                                                             
        TSF: 54925271164 usec (0d, 15:15:25)                                                                               
        freq: 2437                                                                                                         
        beacon interval: 100 TUs                                                                                           
        capability: ESS (0x0c11)                                                                                           
        signal: -88.00 dBm                                                                                                 
        last seen: 19570 ms ago                                                                                             
        Information elements from Probe Response frame:                                                                     
        SSID: Orange_Swiatlowod_3C70_plus                                                                                   
        HT capabilities:                                                                                                   
                Capabilities: 0x2c                                                                                         
                        HT20                                                                                               
                        SM Power Save disabled                                                                             
                        RX HT20 SGI                                                                                         
                        No RX STBC                                                                                         
                        Max AMSDU length: 3839 bytes                                                                       
                        No DSSS/CCK HT40                                                                                   
                Maximum RX AMPDU length 65535 bytes (exponent: 0x003)                                                       
                Minimum RX AMPDU time spacing: 4 usec (0x05)                                                               
                HT RX MCS rate indexes supported: 0-15                                                                     
                HT TX MCS rate indexes are undefined                                                                       
        HT operation:                                                                                                       
                 * primary channel: 6                                                                                       
                 * secondary channel offset: no secondary                                                                   
                 * STA channel width: 20 MHz                                                                               
        WPA:     * Version: 1                                                                                               
                 * Group cipher: TKIP                                                                                       
                 * Pairwise ciphers: TKIP CCMP                                                                             
                 * Authentication suites: PSK                                                                               
        RSN:     * Version: 1                                                                                               
                 * Group cipher: TKIP                                                                                       
                 * Pairwise ciphers: TKIP CCMP                                                                             
                 * Authentication suites: PSK                                                                               
                 * Capabilities: 1-PTKSA-RC 1-GTKSA-RC (0x0000)

How would I get this on FreeBSD? Should I use ifconfig wlan0 -xyz

That gives me:-

SSID/MESH ID BSSID CHAN RATE S:N INT CAPS

Maybe there are further options in ifconfig, or maybe there is some other wifi utility...

That gives me:-

SSID/MESH ID BSSID CHAN RATE S:N INT CAPS

Maybe there are further options in ifconfig, or maybe there is some other wifi utility...
Actually ifconfig() has a ton of parameters which would probably take me the best part of a year to fathom, so it may be able to provide what I'm looking for...

Yup, man pages are your friend :)

On OpenBSD, ifconfig does even more, because it's got wpa_supplicant wrapped into it on top of it. So, in contrast you might actually be saving a few months :)

it may be able to provide what I'm looking for...
I'd kindly ask you to specify exactly what you're looking for.

I mean, just spitting out tons of stuff doesn't seem too useful in itself, so there must be some reason and some specific information you need? Knowing about that might improve chances somebody can give some to-the-point answer 😉

I'd kindly ask you to specify exactly what you're looking for.

I mean, just spitting out tons of stuff doesn't seem too useful in itself, so there must be some reason and some specific information you need? Knowing about that might improve chances somebody can give some to-the-point answer 😉
I am completely ignorant about wifi. All I really am aware of is SSID and key. Seeing the info in my original post partially exposes the depth of my ignorance.
I'd prefer to be able to garner such info without resorting to Linux.

All this stuff may prove to be useful, if, at some point, I find myself without Internet access, whilst there are tons of SSIDs all round me ;-)

The output of ifconfig (now ip, and iwconfig, now iw) is not the same as FreeBSD. I ran into problems identifying the 5G wi-fi channel, for example. The output data on FreeBSD is probably too technical for me.

Ahh... I try to use # bsdconfig wireless, it helps me some... but Wi-Fi is a sore spot for the BSD's. Even if you have a driver for the card (Intel works best), moving between different hotspots is a frustrating experience because writing to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf is not very reliable or easily reproducible. I've seen information elsewhere that FreeBSD's DHCP implementation may be to blame, because it's trying to re-use cached IPv4 addresses from previous successful Wi-Fi connection.

Back