Configuring FreeBSD as desktop

Hi everyone,

I've been tuning my HP laptop (550 notebook PC model) a lot, tried lots of different OS's, and finally settled with FreeBSD. I generally prefer BSD to other free systems. My points for using it: a) versatility b) MACH kernel c) based on a slice from original UNIX d) seems to run faster then most others e) very good configuration and package tools f) very good documentation g) seems stable, and feels complete h) versatile development environment, etc. The list goes on...

Back to my question, though
---------------------------

A) How do you make GNOME use COMPIZ on FreeBSD 8.0? There are no visual tools for configuring GDM.

B) Can you start GNOME from XDM? I tried using ~/.xsession starting 'gnome-session', but XDM just resets.

Cheers

Brandybuck said:
FreeBSD does not have a MACH kernel. You must be thinking of Darwin.

Correct. FreeBSD has the FreeBSD kernel which is a monolithic kernel. Mach is a microkernel. XNU (the Darwin/OS-X kernel) is somewhat of a bastardized hybrid between the two. The core of XNU is Mach but there are several bits and pieces of the monolithic freebsd kernel attached to it.

I'm using a r128 video card and when I issued this command.

% compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
I would get an error message. (witch I forget.)

anyways has anyone has had success or recorded the error please post it here. I've always wanted to try compiz on freebsd.

PS: also would it be better to install XFree86 for such a card to use video capture.

I recomend googleing and downloading and running fusion-icon, even if just for the sake of looking at what environment variables it sets before running compiz. It seems to know what to set, and you can just do the same. Or run fusion-icon as the way you start compiz, if you like.

You should be able to run compiz through the # compiz-manager command. It's supposed to auto-detect whatever workarounds are needed for your graphic environment so you don't need to use any confusing flags. Works great for me on an r600 based Radeon card, though I haven't tried it on an r128.

atomicplayboy said:
You should be able to run compiz through the # compiz-manager command. It's supposed to auto-detect whatever workarounds are needed for your graphic environment so you don't need to use any confusing flags. Works great for me on an r600 based Radeon card, though I haven't tried it on an r128.

Code:
$ compiz-manager
Checking for Xgl: not present. 
xset q doesn't reveal the location of the log file. Using fallback /var/log/Xorg.0.log 
No whitelisted driver found
aborting and using fallback: /usr/local/bin/metacity

mdg583 said:
I recomend googleing and downloading and running fusion-icon, even if just for the sake of looking at what environment variables it sets before running compiz. It seems to know what to set, and you can just do the same. Or run fusion-icon as the way you start compiz, if you like.
No -luck with google

Yes, in terms of ATI cards, only radeons will currently work. Older GPUs do not have the necessary features to run compiz.

Adam

Fusion-icon was hard to find. Here it is.

atomicplayboy said:
You should be able to run compiz through the # compiz-manager command. It's supposed to auto-detect whatever workarounds are needed for your graphic environment so you don't need to use any confusing flags.

You are right - it worked

Back