Choice of a web browser

I started firefox tests, but suddenly all extensions was set to disabled/unsupported state. =/ What's going on with these nasty browsers...

I just brought up www/firefox and every one of my extensions had been disabled and marked unsupported. I have www/firefox-esr on the other laptop I keep running and it just now disabled every extension, too.

It's now showing an Available Updates section for extensions but the download fails.

That's the whole reason I use Mozilla based browsers and consider the extensions I use essential to my browsing experience.

I'm using Palemoon now and older versions of the extensions I need most. If it's going away, probably not without some fanfare from BSD users, Seamonkey finally falling to failure that only leaves Firefox. I never have liked Opera and Chrome not what I consider a viable alternative at this point.

They let a certificate expire. I would have thought this could be quickly fixed, but apparently not. The current workaround is set the preference xpinstall.signatures.required to false. I don't know how much of a security risk that may be, but it will get extensions working till the update comes out. I think the vanilla firefox has already released updates to fix it, don't know if it's reached ports and packges yet.

I'm having the problem with disabled extensions you've described on firefox-esr, but no such problem occurs on firefox-66.0.2,1 which I'm running on both 11.2-RELEASE and 12.0-RELEASE.

EDIT: Ha. Disregard the above-- almost as soon as I posted this, the problem occurred-- I jinxed myself 8-D

EDIT 2: Still working okay on 11.2 though... fingers crossed...

I just brought up www/firefox and every one of my extensions had been disabled and marked unsupported. I have www/firefox-esr on the other laptop I keep running and it just now disabled every extension, too.

It's now showing an Available Updates section for extensions but the download fails.

That's the whole reason I use Mozilla based browsers and consider the extensions I use essential to my browsing experience.

I'm using Palemoon now and older versions of the extensions I need most. If it's going away, probably not without some fanfare from BSD users, Seamonkey finally falling to failure that only leaves Firefox. I never have liked Opera and Chrome not what I consider a viable alternative at this point.
about:config, then set:
xpinstall.signatures.required=false

It solved the problem.

I've seen a commit with EXPIRATION_DATE here https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=497995 Now it's reverted, but it's worrisome if they really want to remove gecko.mk
Not sure I understand what 'technical debt' for seamonkey is.

I don't think I would survive if SeaMonkey was "expired". At least we seem to have had a reprieve for the time being but it is worrying all the same.

As for technical debt, I surmise that this refers to SeaMonkey not (yet, if ever) adopting the new Firefox way (becoming Chrome?) and dumping XUL along with the removal of much of the Mozilla source and APIs. Anyway, I just donated 30 Euros (~$A 50) to the cause at https://www.seamonkey-project.org/donate/ (you need to use the text PayPal link and not the graphic Button which fails).

… technical debt, …

Maybe inferred from the standstill that was mentioned in February, All humors aside… ;( | SeaMonkey Project Blog

… As Waterfox was removed too,

I built Waterfox 56.2.8 a few weeks ago, https://www.reddit.com/comments/9pocgm/-/ek9or90/

Now, forty minutes into a build of 56.2.9. Fingers crossed.

am I right that there are no browsers left with XUL extensions except Palemoon? …

A first alpha of Waterfox 68 is expected. Preliminary documentation at https://github.com/MrAlex94/Waterfox/wiki with discussion at https://redd.it/bjjj1y tl;dr
  • some legacy extensions will require minimal modification
  • if I understand correctly, no legacy extension will run unmodified.
PS What you need to know about add-ons in Waterfox 68 - gHacks Tech News (discussion)

Re: the mention of friendliness, one might describe a couple of the lunar pilots as excitable. BSDs aside, for a moment: rewind a few weeks. Where a three-tweet-wide space was insufficient for La Lune to throw custard pies re: a gaffe at a new web site (published for the first time on the day of the tweet), there was no shortage of pie space elsewhere.

Rewind further, to 2018. WF founder once wrote "… I've only ever been pleasant towards any other outside projects. …" and I have never seen evidence to the contrary.

I'm not in the habit of commenting upon people's personalities – I'd like this to be my last such comment – but it's sometimes good to consider behaviours that might cause something/someone to be perceived as "… unlikely to be friendly to … packagers in general).".

Peace

Re: the mention of friendliness, one might describe a couple of the lunar pilots as excitable.
I believe friendliness is reference to this one. But looks like it was resolved peacefully for us (= FreeBSD users). Probably, we can try to restore Waterfox in ports, this we can keep gecko.mk used. The problem is browsers are the most complex programs and keep them alive when new llvm rolled in port tree is a hard work.

soo - iridium isn't available anymore?
reviving an old thread to ask - any decent alternatives to firefox/chromium?
I had brave working using 'ubuntu - linuxulator', but it started crashing. That would be ideal.

I have a standing project to become more familiar with www/links, this is only for general browsing through articles for the funsies. I have this silly idea at some point I may end up at an older machine not running X and if I want to be able to browse I will have to stick to the text-based browsers.

Also some minimalists has mentioned www/qutebrowser.

The Iridium seems interesting though, may give it a look!
Very fast browser and very good in video playback and graphics also.

soo - iridium isn't available anymore?
reviving an old thread to ask - any decent alternatives to firefox/chromium?
I had brave working using 'ubuntu - linuxulator', but it started crashing. That would be ideal.
Iridium dropped off from ports for a short while but is now back.

pkg install www/iridium

After somehow in the upgrade to FreeBSD 14.0 Firefox dissolved in the process, I try www/falkon as an alternative.

Up till now, it is a remarkable program! Very swift display of web pages, good playing of videos whether Rumble or YouTube.

I'll be back when I tried accessing by bank and that sort of sites.

Starting Iridium gives the errors
Code:
[19929:1700871168:1219/074556.467372:ERROR:ev_root_ca_metadata.cc(152)] Failed to decode OID: 0
Reported bug : 275834.

Sorry for late response. System is FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE-p3
Code:
pkg -vv | grep -e url -e enabled -e priority
    url             : "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:14:amd64/latest",
    enabled         : yes,
    priority        : 0,
But it is working as intended.

Back