CD ripping

I am fairly new to FreeBSD, but am proficient with Linux. Trying to work on my command line skills. Using FreeBSD 9-STABLE. I want to rip audio CDs and encode them into MP3. My CD/DVD drive is IDE. I can mount and view the contents of a data CD I created without problem. The audio CDs are giving me fits. I have a store-bought (working) audio disk in the drive.

cdcontrol info shows the track list with no problem.

cdcontrol can play and stop the disc using this.

mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0 /cdrom gives the error
Code:
/dev/cd0:  Device not configured

Trying to rip using cdparanoia:

cdparanoia -B -d /dev/cd0 gives an error
Code:
Unable to open disc.  Is there an audio CD in the drive?

I've been Googling my butt off today and have tried all suggestions I could find.

Thanks.

Tom

1. You can not mount an audio CD.
  2. /dev/cd0 is a SCSI device. Do you have the atapicam driver loaded? Issue the command [cmd=]kldstat[/cmd] If you see atapicam.ko in the output, then you are good. If you don't see that in the output then do: [cmd=]kldload atapicam[/cmd] as root.

roddierod said:
  1. /dev/cd0 is a SCSI device. Do you have the atapicam driver loaded? Issue the command [cmd=]kldstat[/cmd] If you see atapicam.ko in the output, then you are good. If you don't see that in the output then do: [cmd=]kldload atapicam[/cmd] as root.

atapicam is obsoleted in FreeBSD 9.

FWIW, I prefer audio/abcde when ripping audio CD's. Just one config file, and after that ripping a CD is as easy as
$ abcde or $ abcde -N.
Make sure that your user has access and rights the the necessary devices in order to read the CD.

I'm not sure since latest FreeBSD I have used is 8.x, but have you verified that cd0 is the right device? As in: Do you have a /dev/acd0?

Also if worse comes to worse I guess you could dd copy the entire cd then mdconfig mount it and rip from that. (maybe)

Back