ZFS Can't install OpenZFS 2.0 with pkg on 12.2-RELEASE-p1 ?

Hello :),

I'm trying to install OpenZFS 2.0 on freebsd 12.2-RELEASE-p1with pkg. I followed this documentation: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/Getting Started/FreeBSD.html

bergth@nas:~ % uname -a
FreeBSD nas 12.2-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p1 GENERIC amd64

I'm on the latest repository so I installed these packages

root@nas:~ # pkg search openzfs
openzfs-2020110200 OpenZFS userland for FreeBSD
openzfs-kmod-2020110200 OpenZFS kernel module for FreeBSD

I configured the loader.conf file

root@nas:~ # cat /boot/loader.conf
openzfs_load="YES"

And change my path so I can execute the zpool/zfs binaries in /usr/local/sbin

When i'm trying to kldload openzfs, I have this output:

root@nas:~ # kldload openzfs
kldload: an error occurred while loading module openzfs. Please check dmesg(8) for more details.

And when I run dmesg, i can see theses lines:

link_elf_obj: symbol vm_page_max_wired undefined
linker_load_file: /boot/modules/openzfs.ko - unsupported file type

The output of zfs --version (if needed):

root@nas:~ # zfs --version
zfs-2.0.0-rc1
zfs_version_kernel() failed: No such file or directory

I also tried to install openzfs with pkg on 12.1-RELEASE and everything work without any problem (I can import pool successfully).

This mean that the actual packed version of openzfs can't actually work on RELEASE-12.2 ? Or maybe I'm missing something ?

Thanks for your help :)

Welcome to -CURRENT, the bleeding edge.
Did you ever wonder where the blood on that edge comes from? There is no guarantee that thing does not gremlin on you when the stars are right, or wrong. It's CURRENT.

Well, sorry, I was a little to quick in the redaction of this post... I'm on 12.2-RELEASE-p1. I'm going to edit the main post.

bergth@nas:~ % uname -a
FreeBSD nas 12.2-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p1 GENERIC amd64

I also tried to install openzfs with pkg on 12.1-RELEASE and everything work without any problem (I can import pool successfully).

This mean that the actual packed version of openzfs can't actually work on RELEASE-12.2 ? Or maybe I'm missing something ?
The packages are build for the oldest supported version, 12.1 in this case. 12.1 and 12.2 share the same package repositories. There are known incompatibility issues with certain kernel modules on 12.2, try the port sysutils/openzfs (sysutils/openzfs-kmod respectively).

Back