Other Best options for encrypted Jbod?

Hello!

I have 4x2tb SATA disks that I would like to use as one single encrypted entity (encrypted JBOD) in FreeBSD 10.1.

I would also like to be able to monitor the disks using S.M.A.R.T utility.
The disks are not heavily accessed and content rarely change, just keeps adding.
I keep manual backup of the most important stuff anyway so I'm not interested in redundancy. I do not need to expand this particular setup with more disks for some while so scalability is not important and I'm looking tho achieve this without having to spend any extra money.

These are the options I am aware of to setup encrypted JBOD:

1) Set up JBOD fake raid in BIOS so the OS only see one large disk and encrypt using Geli, but this makes it impossible to monitor each individual disk using S.M.A.R.T utilities(?) in the OS it self.
2) Setup JBOD using gconcat and then encrypt using Geli.
3) Encrypt each individual disk using Geli and when disks are mounted, create a non-redundant ZFS pool.
4) Encrypt each individual disk using Geli and create a single mount point using mhddfs, but I'm not really sure about the current state of mhddfs in FreeBSD.

As far as I have understood, option 3) makes it vastly more complicated concerning reboots (intended or not) since the zfs pool disks won't exist until they're unlocked with Geli etc, I guess something will choke at some point.

My gut feeling is that option 2) would be the most simple and gets the job done.

Anyone here who have some ideas on how to achieve this encrypted jbod and if 2) is by your experience, the way to go in this scenario?

Thanks!

1) Set up JBOD fake raid in BIOS so the OS only see one large disk and encrypt using Geli, but this makes it impossible to monitor each individual disk using S.M.A.R.T utilities(?) in the OS it self.
This is a contradictio in terminis. JBOD means Just a Bunch Of Disks, i.e. each disk is individually accessed. Getting one large disk is the complete opposite and involves RAID, it doesn't matter if it's software, hardware or fake RAID.

This is a contradictio in terminis. JBOD means Just a Bunch Of Disks, i.e. each disk is individually accessed. Getting one large disk is the complete opposite and involves RAID, it doesn't matter if it's software, hardware or fake RAID.

True that, thanks for the clarification, I was confusing this a bit :)

Avoid BIOS-assisted fakeraid if possible, the other solutions are much more robust and don't tie you to the particular BIOS and the metadata format used by it.

Back