Solved BananaPI supported soc?

Hi guys,

On the download page there is an image for BananaPI but it does not specify which boards supports.

I have an Odroid soc that uses the same chip-set as the BananaPI BPI-M5, and would be worth try if FreeBSD works on it; is the BPI-M5 supported by FreeBSD 12?

SirDice

Thank you, no trace about any amlogic socs nor any Cortex-A55 unfortunately 😩

But what about using the generic image?

My spare time is extremely limited and I am always looking for hints, suggestions and shared experiences...

i don't think aml905x3 has any support
also i dont think u-boot has any video console support for this soc so you have to use a serial console
i have an android tvbox with this sock, run armbian on it
performance is about the same as a pi 4 with worse video decoding

If its not on this list chances are it won't work with the GENERIC-SD image:
pkg search u-boot

The idea here is to flash your boards u-boot from pkg or ports to the GENERIC-SD image.
Some boards are supported in GENERIC-SD so you need to look.

covacat I would use it as NAS (CIFS/SAMBA), anyway after FreeBSD I am very reluctant going back to any Linux especially for server tasks...

if you want freebsd and decent i/o you'll be better with an x86 mini pc
you can get dell/hp celeron class cheaper than arm boards and that includes power supply, case and some some direct attach storage
probably draws 2x the power of an arm box

I don't want to crush your dreams but in reality the devices on the two boards are probably different.
Starting with the big one, Ethernet. Mostly these Atheros chips are stabbed onto the board and can change with the supply chain crissis. So that is one little area where same SOC really don't matter.
There are many more variations between the two I am sure.

Yes, my dream are definitely broken fore ever... My only consolation is maybe in the future I might import the zpool from Ubuntu to FreeBSD should the latter support this board anytime later.

if you want freebsd and decent i/o you'll be better with an x86 mini pc
you can get dell/hp celeron class cheaper than arm boards and that includes power supply, case and some some direct attach storage
probably draws 2x the power of an arm box

After many many machines build on BeagleBoards, RPI, Soekris and PCEngines. I would say covacat suggestion is gold. I want to add a piece more, use a standard form facor x86 machine with a VGA port. This will save you a LOT of time. Steer away from special machines as much as you can. E.g. Soekris closed, PCEngines is closing (and it gave me ugly boot & stability problems in the last years), RPI disappeared from the market for years. bye

Back