Automount on xfce4.8

At this time automount is « broken » on Xfce 4.8. Because it depends of udev (too bind to Linux).

However, if you install devel/gvfs (Fuse is not necessary), you will be able to mount properly USB stick, DVD, ...

Code:
gvfs-mount -d /dev/...

Your media will be stored in /media/...

In addition, with sysutils/xfce4-genmon-plugin (panel plugin), you can write shell script, to mount your media.

sk8harddiefast said:
Trying to make my dvd drive to work, also usb flash disks, how can I automount on xfce4.8 without mounting everytime?

It works here (at least the dvd) but I'm not sure how.

I think this come from one of this:
Code:
gnome-vfs-2.24.4    GNOME Virtual File System
gvfs-1.6.6_1        GNOME virtual file system
thunar-vfs-1.2.0_1  The virtual filesystem for Thunar

I've dbus, hal and these sorts of things running.

HTH, regards.

Ok. One more thing confuses me. On my /dev my dvd drive is named acd0, cdrom & cd0! Why 3 names for the same? Seems wrong! And:
Code:
[lucifer@darkchaos /]$ sudo gvfs-mount -d /dev/acd0
No volume for device file /dev/acd0
[lucifer@darkchaos /]$ sudo gvfs-mount -d /dev/cd0 
No volume for device file /dev/cd0
[lucifer@darkchaos /]$ sudo gvfs-mount -d /dev/cdrom 
No volume for device file /dev/cdrom
Something goes veeery wrong!

sk8harddiefast said:
Trying to make my dvd drive to work, also usb flash disks, how can I automount on xfce4.8 without mounting everytime?

xfce dropped support of HAL, but that was how xfce on FreeBSD did automounting.

A couple of us came up with our own solutions. Here's mine, and this more ambitious one is by aragon.

wblock@ said:
xfce dropped support of HAL, but that was how xfce on FreeBSD did automounting.

A couple of us came up with our own solutions. Here's mine, and this more ambitious one is by aragon.

For me CD/DVD automount works and works with HAL (I can see .hal-mtab and .hal-mtab-lock at /media. But USBs are not mounted. Why HAL works for CD/DVDs only?

Back