Solved A good choice for a colour laser?

Tricky? Cheap to buy vs cheap to run. How many prints a day? Double sided printing? Postscript vs PCL. I guess there's no one right answer. Recommendations WITH Justification. The best answer wins a solid gold Rolls Royce.

Very generally speaking...HP is usually easy to use with FreeBSD, there will be Linux PPD drivers that will work with FreeBSD. They charge a great deal for their toners. You might be able to find generic ones that work--HP keeps trying to stop that but as far as I know it can still be done.

Brother is also going to be a decent choice. Again, they usually have Linux drivers that can be used with FreeBSD. I think their toners are less expensive too. I don't know if generic ones are available or not.

Of late, I have been getting warnings that cups is moving away from ppd's.
https://www.phoronix.com/news/CUPS-3.0-Architecture-Overhaul

CUPS 3.0 is a major architecture overhaul with moving away from PPD files and just relying on IPP Everywhere, splitting local printing from network printing support, and various other design improvements.

Upstream cups broke using foomatic-rip with ppd's as a filter. For my Brother HL-5450DN this mainly provided provide paper handling and tray selection - the ppd essentially translated a common command (Manual Feed) into something my printer understood. I personally can't fathom how this function can be cast aside given the large number of manufacturers, add-on trays and printer languages.

Fortunately, the HL-5450DN is postscript capable. I went back to the old lpd spooler and tray select directly on the printers web interface.

Thankyou all. You'll be SHOCKED to hear that the solid gold Rolls Royce was won my, err, niece.

Back