14.0-RELEASE Upgrade question: Merge conflict markers remain

What am I supposed to do on this screen? It's showing my /etc/group file compared to the new version, correct? If I add my change to the new version it still complains.

Code:
<<<<<<< current version
# $FreeBSD$
#
wheel:*:0:root,epitaxial
=======
wheel:*:0:root
>>>>>>> 14.0-RELEASE
daemon:*:1:
kmem:*:2:
sys:*:3:
tty:*:4:
operator:*:5:root
mail:*:6:
bin:*:7:
news:*:8:
man:*:9:
games:*:13:
ftp:*:14:
staff:*:20:
sshd:*:22:
smmsp:*:25:
mailnull:*:26:
guest:*:31:
video:*:44:
realtime:*:47:
idletime:*:48:
bind:*:53:
unbound:*:59:
proxy:*:62:
authpf:*:63:
_pflogd:*:64:
_dhcp:*:65:
uucp:*:66:
dialer:*:68:
network:*:69:
audit:*:77:
www:*:80:
/var/db/freebsd-update/merge/new//etc/group: unmodified: line 1

You need to remove those markers too. Don't just edit it, actually fix the file so it's how it's supposed to end up. Do NOT leave those markers in there.

This bit:
Code:
<<<<<<< current version
# $FreeBSD$
#
=======
>>>>>>> 14.0-RELEASE
Needs to look like this:
Code:

You probably want to keep the 'epitaxial' user in the 'wheel' group.

Please I've neer seen this before, it is aking me to modify /etc/password

Code:
<<<<<< current version
# $FreeBSD$
#
root:$6$PvmJTygL5rkY5urr$6QWIx.[ A LOT OF OTHER CHARACTERS ]tHnKDGa8riVj/:0:0::0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh
=======
root::0:0::0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/sh
>>>>>>> 14.0-RELEASE

Should I keep the former or the newer one?

Thanks...

freezr in previous example of group like SirDice said you should keep the addon wheel changes....
In second case of the root with your password you should delete/comment the add on changes in freebsd 14.0

#
root:$6$PvmJTygL5rkY5urr$6QWIx.[ A LOT OF OTHER CHARACTERS ]tHnKDGa8riVj/:0:0::0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh
#=======
#root::0:0::0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/sh
#>>>>>>> 14.0-RELEASE

You are meant to edit this as you see fit depending on your existing changes to config files.... I always backup important config I've change before an update just in case.

freezr in previous example of group like SirDice said you should keep the addon wheel changes....
In second case of the root with your password you should delete/comment the add on changes in freebsd 14.0

#
#=======
#root::0:0::0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/sh
#>>>>>>> 14.0-RELEASE

You are meant to edit this as you see fit depending on your existing changes to config files.... I always backup important config I've change before an update just in case.

This a good advice, but why do I have all those character there? What do they mean? Should ignore that line and continue with the new default settings?

Ok... I found this:
Code:
The following file could not be merged automatically: /etc/master.passwd
Press Enter to edit this file in /usr/bin/vi and resolve the conflicts
manually...

Perhaps I had better to not delete the master.passwd although I don't recall having such password... 🤔

Isn't it more practical asking: Do you want keep your settings? [Default: YES]; and if you type "NO" thus going to the editor? 🤷

As a fellow pebcak this part of the upgrading system is very prone to misunderstanding...
and the upgrade software should be smart enough to ask you:

FreeBSD 14 introduced sh as default root sheel, do you want change your shell from csh to sh?

Without me manually changing the setting files with the most convoluted editor. 😖

Without me manually changing the setting files with the most convoluted editor.
It's not convoluted, it has a very steep learning curve, can't deny that. Once mastered though, it is an extremely powerful editor. But more comfortable with ee(1) or nano(1)? Set the EDITOR environment variable before running freebsd-update(8). It will respect that setting and use that editor instead of the default vi(1). Works for a bunch of other tools too. Maybe that'll help?

Set the EDITOR environment variable before running freebsd-update(8). It will respect that setting and use that editor instead of the default vi(1).
OMG... Why didn't I try this before? I was always complaining about why do I have to use "vi" for merging changes and all I had to do was to set my beloved "vim" as editor instead... There should be some seriously big facepalm emoji here. Especially when I was merging that blasted ssh modules file, which required me to remove like 200 lines.

I'm upgrading from 13.2 to 14 and during "freebsd-update -r 14.0-RELEASE upgrade" can't get rid of the message:

Code:
Merge conflict markers remain in: /etc/group
These must be resolved for the system to be functional.

Press Enter to return to editing this file.

<<<<<<< current version
# $FreeBSD$
#
wheel:*:0:root,user
=======
>>>>>>> 14.0-RELEASE
sys:*:3:
tty:*:4:
operator:*:5:root,user
mail:*:6:
bin:*:7:
news:*:8:
man:*:9:
games:*:13:
ftp:*:14:
staff:*:20:
sshd:*:22:
smmsp:*:25:
<<<<<<< current version
video:*:44:user,lightdm
=======
video:*:44:
realtime:*:47:
idletime:*:48:
>>>>>>> 13.1-RELEASE
proxy:*:62:
authpf:*:63:
_pflogd:*:64:
_dhcp:*:65:
uucp:*:66:
dialer:*:68:
network:*:69:
audit:*:77:
www:*:80:
u2f:*:116:
ntpd:*:123:
_ypldap:*:160:
hast:*:845:
tests:*:977:
nogroup:*:65533:
nobody:*:65534:
user:*:1001:
_tss:*:601:
messagebus:*:556:
avahi:*:558:
polkitd:*:565:
cups:*:193:
colord:*:970:
pulse:*:563:
pulse-access:*:564:
pulse-rt:*:557:
git_daemon:*:964:
lightdm:*:164:
vboxusers:*:920:user,root
test:*:1002:
_sndio:*:702:
cyrus:*:60:
How do I fix this? :q just doesn't work keeps asking again and again to review the changes.

How do I fix this?

Code:
<<<<<<< current version         <-- REMOVE
# $FreeBSD$                      <-- REMOVE
#                             <-- REMOVE
wheel:*:0:root,user               <-- KEEP!
=======                   <-- REMOVE
wheel:*:0:root             <-- REMOVE
>>>>>>> 14.0-RELEASE    <-- REMOVE
And a little further down:

Code:
<<<<<<< current version    <-- REMOVE
video:*:44:user,lightdm             <-- KEEP!
=======              <-- REMOVE
video:*:44:               <--- REMOVE
realtime:*:47:           <--- KEEP? 
idletime:*:48:           <--- KEEP?
>>>>>>> 13.1-RELEASE  <--- REMOVE

Everything between the <<<<< current version and >>>> 14.0-RELEASE, and other sections between <<< and >>> are the differences that need attention. The rest are differences, which stay as what you had them as and are custom default in your system.

But what key combinations do I use to do that? I don't know what keys to use or what command to enter to fix it, do you understand what I mean?

No one can answer without knowing what editor you are using.
But assuming that
  • You newly installed FreeBSD 14.0-release.
  • You are using now-default /bin/sh as command line shell.
  • You have not yet edited your /root/.profile and /root/.shrc.
  • You are seeing the list you wrote just now,
are all exactly correct, you should
  1. Press Enter to invoke editor. By default, vi would be invoked and open /etc/group in it.
  2. Move cursor to the line you want to delete. If cursor key doesn't work, use "h" for left, "l" for right, "k" to up and "j" to down the cursor.
  3. Once the cursor is on the line you want to delete, type "dd" to delete the whole line. Possibly following Enter is needed.
  4. Once all unneded lines are deleted, type ":w" to save edited file. Possibly following Enter is needed.
  5. Once saved, type ":q" to quit from vi.
  6. Follow the description shown.
Sorry, I'm not at all familiar with vi.
If you have
EDITOR=ee export EDITOR
lines in /root/.profile, the key strokes for editing is completely different.
ee is a screen editor which FreeBSD has by default and shows all key strokes it supports at the top of screen. It shold be much more easy to use for anyone not familiar with vi like me.

⚙ D36786 freebsd-update.sh: EDITOR: if not set, prefer ee

Reduce the risk of end users stumbling whilst attempting to upgrade the operating system.
Thanks for your differential revision. Hope this quickly accepted, lands and MFC'ed to all supported branches. This would help a lot of newbies and anyone not familiar with vi like me.
On the other hand, vi and its variants historically have a number of adherents, so they could hesitate to accept if some of them are in reviewers.

Thanks, I should encourage discussion of text editors here:

sidetone ee(1) is one of three editors in the screenshot at <https://forums.freebsd.org/posts/532530>.

T-Aoki you're wonderfully optimistic about timing. If the revision were to be accepted as is, I can think of a handful of people who would crowdfund to have me kneecapped by the local heavy mob :)

[FONT=monospace]T-Aoki[/FONT] you're wonderfully optimistic about timing.
Of course, it's too late for 14.0 (already released). But nothing is too late.
If it's accepted, lands, MFC'ed to at least stable/14 and releng/14.0, 14.0-p1 should have the change. At worst, next 15.0 in the future changes.
I feel most of vi enthusiasts can easily find (or already know) how to switch to vi, but most newbies won't know how to. So we would better focus to them as default.

For reference only, aged background to D36786 (I had completely forgotten my own writing): <{link removed}>.

… I feel most of vi enthusiasts can easily find (or already know) how to switch to vi, …

True.

In another discussion, whereabouts similarly forgotten, there's the notion of adduser(8) offering the choice — ee by default, vi as the second option — whenever a new user is added to the system.

jgrafton our adduser superhero: when you're done with Thanksgiving and washing the dishes, you know what to do. The cheque's in the post.

Terms and conditions apply. May not involve an actual cheque.

Last edited:
Changing the default is going to confuse everyone even more, just look at the more(1) -> less(1) change. I'd vote for setting EDITOR in the dot.shrc skeleton file. And perhaps make it more visible in the man page this is an option you can change (only PAGER is mentioned in freebsd-update(8)). Speaking of PAGER, it's set in ~/.cshrc but not ~/.shrc, for the sake of consistency it should be added there too.

Changing the default is going to confuse everyone even more, just look at the more(1) -> less(1) change. I'd vote for setting EDITOR in the dot.shrc skeleton file. And perhaps make it more visible in the man page this is an option you can change (only PAGER is mentioned in freebsd-update(8)). Speaking of PAGER, it's set in ~/.cshrc but not ~/.shrc, for the sake of consistency it should be added there too.
Switching default from more to less would have been hazardous, as even reading related documents and/or manpages is affected.
I think switching default from vi to ee would be much LESS hazardous, as everyone can read documents / manpages as usual and users of vi seems to be much, much more skilled to look for information of "How to switch back to vi?" and configure themselves than users of ee including newbies.
vi is not as straightfoward as ee for newbies coming from Windows world.

Back