suspend with ethernet card up

i am about to get thinkpad t480 which is known to work with suspend/resume. But this also brings ethernet card down as well which is what I want to avoid. Is this possible at all? I.e disallow powering off of ethernet card to keep connection but allowing laptop to suspend.

And how do you imagine that it would work? Think about it: the main cpu is down, doing "nothing", so nothing happens when packets arrive at the ethernet interface, for example. What happens when a host doesn't respond to a ping for example?

It’s great that you’re getting a ThinkPad T480, which generally supports suspend/resume well. To prevent the Ethernet card from powering off during suspend, you might need to adjust power management settings. Have you looked into tweaking ACPI settings or using specific scripts to control power management for the Ethernet card separately? Exploring Linux forums or ThinkPad-specific communities might yield specific solutions or configurations that users have successfully implemented.

It’s great that you’re getting a ThinkPad T480, which generally supports suspend/resume well. To prevent the Ethernet card from powering off during suspend, you might need to adjust power management settings. Have you looked into tweaking ACPI settings or using specific scripts to control power management for the Ethernet card separately?

On my Thinkpads over 20 years (T23, X200, T430s) it's been a non-issue.

Suspend powers down NIC from D3 running state to D0 suspended, dropping carrier.

Resume powers it back up from D3 to D0, restablishing carrier, marking it UP in ifconfig, otherwise unchanged.

Boot up once with verbose booting (I do so always), then detach then reattach the cable, logging for a comparison later.

Then suspend, pause and resume a time or two. View /var/log/messages e.g. with less(). Save all that tail to a file.

You can see it with dmesg, but log timestamps are illustrative.

Explore, see what happened - and not just with the NIC/s.

I'm unsure if setting WoL with ifconfig can work to resume Thinkpads from suspend, if that's what's hoped for.

HTH

On my Thinkpads over 20 years (T23, X200, T430s) it's been a non-issue.

Suspend powers down NIC from D3 running state to D0 suspended, dropping carrier.

Resume powers it back up from D3 to D0, restablishing carrier, marking it UP in ifconfig, otherwise unchanged.

Boot up once with verbose booting (I do so always), then detach then reattach the cable, logging for a comparison later.

Then suspend, pause and resume a time or two. View /var/log/messages e.g. with less(). Save all that tail to a file.

You can see it with dmesg, but log timestamps are illustrative.

Explore, see what happened - and not just with the NIC/s.

I'm unsure if setting WoL with ifconfig can work to resume Thinkpads from suspend, if that's what's hoped for.

HTH
Thanks for the info! Checking logs and tweaking ACPI settings are great suggestions. I'll run some tests and review logs to understand how the NIC behaves in my ThinkPad T480 upon resume from sleep mode.

Back