Help - Upgrade messed up suspend/resume functionality, Hanging now

Hi,

I upgraded from 13.2 to 13.3. Somehow the hibernation and lid closing mechanism stopped working (was working perfectly fine on 13.2). Along with this there was also a BIOS update.

Doing

sudo acpiconf -s 3

used to put the laptop to hibernation, but now it just hangs (after upgrade/update make the screen go black, yet there is some backlight)

Also this is the value is sysctl
Code:
sysctl hw.acpi.lid_switch_state
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: S3

How can I fix this? Any idea what might be causing this? Maybe some permissions for messed up while upgrade merging? Totally lost

• Thanks
Reactions: mro
Any way you can roll back the BIOS update to see if that caused it? Probably not an easy thing to do.

Sure you followed all upgrade steps when upgrading FreeBSD?

Not sure if you are saying you did all these upgrades in one go recently or if over a span of time and you’ve just noticed.

amd64 rather than i386?

Using X? Using GPU?

Sure you followed all upgrade steps when upgrading FreeBSD?

Not sure if you are saying you did all these upgrades in one go recently or if over a span of time and you’ve just noticed.
Yes, from the upgrade page for 13.3. Everyting seems fine except this suspend/resume (for now at least).

I had my machine on for a while - so did the upgrade/bios update(from within windows - on another drive) just last night - and then discovered it wasn't working fine.

amd64 rather than i386?

Using X? Using GPU?
amd64, it's a laptop with X and inbuilt graphics of Intel.

Wondering what I should do next to try to get it to work - any ideas? Will use BIOS revert as last resort.

PS : I even tried turning off the TPM from BIOS but that didn't have any effect.

I upgraded from 13.2 to 13.3. Somehow the hibernation and lid closing mechanism stopped working (was working perfectly fine on 13.2). Along with this there was also a BIOS update.
I had trouble with 13.2 -> 13.3 as well, did a zfs snapshot rollback (maybe a bectl activate would be even better) and am happy with 14.0 since.

I had trouble with 13.2 -> 13.3 as well, did a zfs snapshot rollback (maybe a bectl activate would be even better) and am happy with 14.0 since.
Do you suggest I should try to upgrade to 14.0 from 13.3 now? Iirc the 14.0 upgrade page said one can't rollback from 13.2 (if I try to bectl activate it) from 14.0 🤔 ("Note that freebsd-update cannot be used to roll back to the previous release after updating to a new major version.")

Ok so I tried `bectl activate 13.2x` and suspend/resume works - so it's definitely a problem with 13.3 upgrade and not the BIOS update.

Wondering if upgrading to 14.0 will help or mess up the suspend/resume again 😫

Ok so I tried to upgrade to 14.0 .... After initial reboot during upgrade I wasn't able to access X (with slim login) and now when I try to reboot after freebsd-update install it says "ld-elf.so.1: shared object libcrypto.so.111 not found, required by sudo"

WTH - am I stuck?how do I reboot? Do I just switch it off? Can't use sudo

Typing this from my phone!

who says? at which stage? Can you login to a virtual console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and try $ pkg-static? Mind to send a photo?

I think after the initial reboot and then freebsd-update install maybe I didn't rebuild ports/packages or whatever that step is supposed to do

'Pkg-static upgrade' you mean? It says major os upgrade detected and says insufficient privilege to upgrade

Yes, $ pkg-static upgrade. Can you log via $ su or to a virtual console as root? No idea how to repair a broken sudo otherwise.

Ok su works to become root but my ports/misc/compat doesn't have the number 13x some other bunch of numbers

Reactions: mro
I also have no /usr/ports/misc/compat13x. I'd do a

Code:
# pkg-static install -f pkg
# pkg upgrade -f

FYI it's logging me into ttyv0 directly - still need to fix the X part to get my gui

So I have no sudo working and no GUI 😂😭

Ok I tried the pkg upgrade -f method, it seemed to work but still no sign of slim/gui , it's still sending me to ttyv0

Back