Yipee! Nvidia triple screen / single card!

Hi all

Just thought I'd share my joy... I just tried plugging a third monitor (actually my TV) into my Zotac GT640 nvidia video card and IT JUST WORKS (tm). :e

I tried this a couple of months ago, just after buying the card, and it did not work, so clearly the driver & Twinview (now misleadingly named) have been tweaked in the interim.

Not sure if that's common knowledge or not, but at least I can say it now works for real. Time to stump up for a third monitor!

No messing around at all, I didn't even reboot - Twinview just saw the new screen and allowed me to configure it's position and res just like the previous two screens.

My thanks to nvidia for supporting FreeBSD.

sim

I'm not that familiar with nVidia's model numbering but in my researches I did confirm that the first generation of GPU to natively support >2 monitors on a single card is the Kepler series, which was released earlier this year. My GT640 is an entry-mid level card based the this architecture.

The purchasing/research process was made all the more difficult by nVidia's (wantonly?) confusing model number 'strategy', where they apparently re-use model numbers (or very slight variations thereof) for completely different generation of device. :\

sim

Back