1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xorg 7.5 FreeBSD 9 RC3 Clang

Discussion in 'X.Org' started by akregator, Dec 11, 2011.

1. akregator

akregator New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

I run with FreeBSD 9-PRERELEASE #3 fully compiled with clang and I also build ports with clangwhen possible. For now, everything compiled excepted devel/icu (compiles but does not perform tests, so I built it with the old gcc), but Xorg seems to have problems.

1. x11-servers/xorg-server does not compile with GCC 4.2, option not recognized (I'll tell you what option later)
    2. When built with clang, no error, no problem, but at start, a blank screen made of gray and white pixels mixed. Return to tty is impossible and I must Ctrl+Alt+Suppr to reboot the system properly.

I had no problem with FreeBSD 9-PRERELEASE #2 fully compiled with GCC 4.2, Xorg too. My graphic card is an intel i915, worked with the VESA driver, 1024x768 resolution.

I'll try next week if compiling Xorg with GCC 4.2 make it running correctly, and if not, rebuilding the entire world with GCC 4.2.

Any idea? Maybe an old configuration, some old files somewhere in /usr/local?

PS: the /etc/X11/xorg.conf is the same that worked for the previous installation of Xorg.

2. darcsis

darcsis New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you want to build ports with clang, build them at most with -O1. Some ports cannot stand higher optimization, such as gnome-system-monitor, which requires exactly -O0. x11/nvidia-driver can only be built with gcc, but not with clang!

jotawski, akregator and YZMSQ thank for this.
  3. akregator

akregator New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh thanks! Is there any list of ports working with clang and which CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS to apply on them?

I'll try to build whole Xorg dependencies with -O1 and I'll tell here if there is any improvements.

4. darcsis

darcsis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm, I am not sure if they are maintaining such a list on the FreeBSD wiki site. I just try to compile everything with clang, if problems arise, I tweak compile options or just recompile with gcc. For instance, x11/nvidia can be built with clang, the compiling is OK. But after you execute kldunload nvidia the system hangs up without further feedback.

I am trying to record every port that can be built only with gcc and put it in a conf file. But I am just starting, the road is long...

5. akregator

akregator New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok. I've tried to compile xorg-server, xf86-input-mouse/keyboard and dri with -O1 and there is no problem, Xorg launches perfectly.

Thanks a lot!