wordpress update

I have Wordpress 3.0.1 and wanting to update it to the latest version of it. I do understand that the theme I am using will be affected but I don't mind. I want to make sure that I don't update my whole FreeBSD installation, though. How do I do this without screwing up everything? Is there an 'update this port only' command?

I have already made a backup of the database.

I searched the web for "wordpress update ports FreeBSD" and combinations of this and I didn't have any luck.
Thanks, Evan

Wordpress in ports always gets updated within a few days of the mainline Wordpress update, so just keep your ports tree up to date and install/upgrade accordingly. There's no reason to 'update this port only'. It is advisable to keep all of your ports current, unless you enjoy running into dependency problems.

What scares me the upgrade of "everything." Will this include php, mysql, lighthttp, nginx? Perhaps you can see that I am new to this.

I don't know what's scary about it. So long as you keep an eye on /usr/ports/UPDATING before you update, and use proper tools like e.g. ports-mgmt/portmaster, there is really not much to worry about. Not keeping up to date means allowing security problems to exist, keeping partially up to date means running into dependency problems and version conflicts. So update regularly, and keep everything in sync. Depending on what I use my machines for, I run anywhere from 50 to 700 ports on any given machine. All are up to date, and kept up to date daily. I advise to do it at least weekly.

Back