Why :(

Military training is awesome (well, at least in Canada). Best time of my life. Especially once you realise that they're paid to treat you like dirt, it's not personal. In fact, the hardest trainers were the best people to hang with on weekends. :) Plus, you learn valuable skills like how to s-s-s in under 15 minutes, how to sleep while marching, how to cook food in your pants while marching, how to dig a hole you can live in for a weekend in under 6 hours, and how to bounce a quarter off a mattress. :D

If it weren't for all the politics involved, I'd still be in the reserves.

Well. When I will be back I will tell you If was good. Now I can only imagine of all of this that I listen from other people :(

It will be an experience, hopefully a good one. Remember, most times it helps if you put some effort into it too.

I am thinking to post screenshots of me from there :) Well the truth is that this day is the day that my grand-parents were waiting from the day I was born! My grand-father, tooked me when I was 4 months old. Now is 93 years old and I am 23! I grown up... a lot!!! :p He will see me a soldier! 23 years before cannot even imagine this day!

I was drafted into the US Army in 1971 and sent to Vietnam. So count your blessings, it could be worse. :p

That said, my sympathies for your impending loss of freedom.

(No, I didn't see any combat. Whenever I'm asked, I usually say my time in Vietnam was like being at an especially bad summer camp.)

Is the military training still mandatory in Greece ? Hmm, weird, they made it optional in my country for quite some time now. I for one, didn't do my military time and never will :).

That's good for you. After 6 months of training you will look smooth and beautiful. Remember girls just love soldiers :)

Is the military training still mandatory in Greece ?
Yeah. Is 9 months now and they think to do it 14 months in the future. Not sure. Maybe yes, maybe no.
Remember girls just love soldiers :)
Yes. This is true :)
The truth is that I want to go for the experience. Also as everyone who love his country I love my country and I want to serve it :)

sk8harddiefast said:
Also as everyone who love his country I love my country and I want to serve it :)

I can imagine you like Leonidas but on a skate board with 2 uzzi's :)))) :p

PS: No harm or insult intended, simply a joke :).

sk8harddiefast said:
Also as everyone who love his country I love my country and I want to serve it :)
"Patriotism is a disease." --Albert Einstein
"Violence is the first refuge of the incompetent." --Issac Asimov
"Either war is obsolete or men are." --R. Buckminster Fuller
"The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that refuse military service." --Albert Einstein

:)

Joining the military and serving your country, as noble as it may sound, are entirely separate issues.

Yes but when the time comes, because you just can't avoid it, you have this spirit: This is my country. I must do it for my country. Makes you feel better because you know than you have no other options :p

sk8harddiefast said:
I must do it for my country. Makes you feel better because you know than you have no other options :p

Personally, I won't do anything for "my" f|_|king country (Romania). I feel (waaaaay) better that I left and have a new life now (in the CZ rep.). When they called me (12th grade), I simply chose not to go (punishable by jail). Lucky for me I was a student (they cannot force students into the army), and 1 year later they made it optional so I didn't have to go anywhere, except outside the country (my long awaited dream) :p.

PS: 1) You always have an option, even if you don't like it
and 2) I DO NOT agree that someone else other than me, decides MY LIFE ! It's my life, I choose what to do with it.

It's kind of awesome here in Poland, now that they completely canceled military trainings not so recently, but enough for me not to go to these trainings :p

Yes. You can avoid it. If I go and make like a maniac, they will give me I5 and I will go home (I5 is the completely crazy, psychopath etc.) But with I5 you can't find job on serious works like banks etc. Or if you just don't go to military, they will put you in jail!!! All this for 6 months? I have no parents and I am of the lucky boys that will make 6 months in the worst senario. Don't worth to try to avoid it.

@pkubaj

Its 'that good' only since 2010/01/01 if I recall correctly, I finished my study at the middle of 2009 so I had to 'do fake studies' on some other university to be sure that they 'wont catch me' ...

@vermaden
Only over a year? Hm, maybe. Anyway, the projects regarding cancelling it were discussed for a long time.

@sk8harddiefast
6 months souns rather bad, if you were student at university in Poland, you could go to the trainings during your summer holiday (it's 3 months here). Of course it didn't take whole holidays to finish it.
Bu don't you have any choice besides the trainings? Here you could go Police, Firefighters, as far as I now you could go to any uniformed services you wanted. Can't you do something similar?
EDIT: Even though we don't have to go to military, we have obligatory medical tests by military. I myself have category E (physical or mental disease making you completely unable to go to military, both during peace and war), even though the only problem I have is bad seeing. But that's not really an issue for me, employers don't care about your military category.

But that's not really an issue for me, employers don't care about your military category
Well. You know. Everyone on his life make dreams. My dream is to work on a datacenter plenty of Unix servers running BSD, Solaris, etc. I don't know if I will made it but I follow my dream. If you go on a datacenter, is 100% sure that military category is a big issue. Is impossible to give you one job like this and don't ask the military's paper!!!!

sk8harddiefast said:
Well. You know. Everyone on his life make dreams. My dream is to work on a datacenter plenty of Unix servers running BSD, Solaris, etc. I don't know if I will made it but I follow my dream. If you go on a datacenter, is 100% sure that military category is a big issue. Is impossible to give you one job like this and don't ask the military's paper!!!!

That's exactly my dream too. And in Poland employers usually ask for the paper stating that my trainings are done, to know that I didn't run away from the military :) Nothing else. I don't know what it's like in other countries, but it should be quite similar. If they ask anything, I'll just show the paper with explanation why I have E category, and there's only the fact that I have bad seeing, which isn't of an issue.

Back