Why is latest 14 lagging behind quarterly 14?

Just spot checking a few things and it seems like, as the subject says, the latest packages for 14 amd64 are lagging behind quarterly. I don't know how things are structured but I would have guessed that the quarterlies are point in time snap shots of latest but that doesn't appear to be the case.

It's not true for all ports of course - though I don't think I saw any where latest was ahead of quarterly but I did find several where quarterly was ahead. For instance...

packagelatestquarterly
firefox124.0.2,2125.0,2
restic0.16.4_20.16.4_4
chromium-123.0.6312.122
xwayland23.2.4,123.2.6,1

Each new Quarterly branch get created from latest. I don't think there is a rule that build servers run a new latest build before starting a quarterly build based on the ports tree of date that latest was built from so sometimes quarterly finishes with newer version than what latest last finished with. Quarterly gets less changes as it is normally for fixes instead of new features that things change and as such their builds may finish sooner even if started at the same time. As the quarter progresses, latest will get versions of programs that quarterly won't see until the next quarter. You can use sirdice's pkg-status link to filter 'package builds' for desired version/architecture and the newest entries with status 'done:' for default/quarterly ports tells you what date they started so you know it won't include any newer changes than that date yet.

My understanding in a port having build issues is it will be removed from the package repository once the buildrun completes instead of kept at an older version. If a port needs to be rolled back to a previous version number, you will see a ",#" (=port epoch; refer to https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/porters-handbook/makefiles/#makefile-naming currently section 5.2.3.2) added or incremented on the end of the version; port/pkg tools always treat a higher ',#' as newer before considering the rest of the version number. I doubt a 'broken build' will get a rollback without epoch or other version number change happening.

Back