Why FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE is approaching its End-of-Life date.

freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 14.0-RELEASE from update1.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

No updates needed to update system to 14.0-RELEASE-p0.

WARNING: FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE is approaching its End-of-Life date.
It is strongly recommended that you upgrade to a newer
release within the next 2 months.

Nope, I patiently waited for release announcement, only after I read it I upgraded first of my FreeBSD boxes to 14.0-RELEASE, and I'm also seeing this message.

… reddit is a bad source of information …

Tell me about it. It's shocking, just shocking.

I just made it worse, there, by adding more information.

To anyone who's troubled by the presence of people such as the FreeBSD Primary Release Engineering Team Lead, please, without delay:
  • complain to your Member of Parliament, or local police force, or lollipop lady.
If you'd like me to receive a traditional carbon copy of your complaint: sorry, I'm carbon-allergic, but you're welcome to write something on a few sheets of Izal, in thick, second-hand lipstick.

Tell me about it. It's shocking, just shocking.

I just made it worse, there, by adding more information.

Sorry for the generalization, it definitely wasn't meant to be offensive against anyone of the FreeBSD staff, developers or any other knowledgeable people who also post on reddit.
Sometimes there actually is valuable information to be found on reddit, but sadly there's also a lot more (dangerous) superficial knowledge, FUD or plain out misinformation posted, so anything found there from unknown sources should usually be taken with a grain lot of salt. E.g. the old myth about "ZFS eats all your RAM, don't use it on a desktop" is often still propagated as "common knowledge" on reddit...

sko thanks I didn't take it offensively, I'm just amused when people take a dim view of the place. There's a mixture of good and bad information here; a mixture in /r/freebsd; mixtures elsewhere.

E.g. the old myth about "ZFS eats all your RAM, don't use it on a desktop" is often still propagated as "common knowledge" on reddit...

Not particularly often. Whenever I see the myth, I give the person a simple myth-buster.

For yourself, seek this phrase in the forums here:

vfs.zfs.arc.max

How often are the alternatives mentioned, here?

• needs triage, it's not a base system bug
  • I'll contact Dave in Mastodon.

I did repeat that few hours later and that message is gone. ⋯

Some overlap with yesterday's <https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/91089/>.

For me, too: no warning. Immediately after an update then upgrade from a release candidate (it might have been RC4):

1700658428984.png

The restart, shutdown -r now (from the console, not a desktop environment) was followed by another warning-free result of freebsd-update fetch.

I'm not sure how some people don't get this warning anymore. I upgraded today, both my 64- and 32-bit installations, and the "End-ofLife" warning after `freebsd-update fetch` is there. It is actually the only "problem" I had upgrading from 13.2.

Edit: ... and now the warning is gone. I'm not sure if it is because it was fixed, or because it is supposed to appear once.

a server-side workaround is in place, but not yet effective throughout infrastructure e.g. mirroring etc..
That was my guess as well.
The fact is, this was just another smooth FreeBSD major update (the third for me). No issues, even in my 32-bit installation (which is on a very old machine). All I had to do was the usual, just make sure passwords are inherited. I used GNU/Linux for about two decades and I never had such a smooth major update.

From what I read, this seems to be the last FreeBSD version supporting 32-bit. I understand why this is the case, but there are many old machines out there which could still be usable for several years more running FreeBSD.

(the third for me)
Reminder, get myself a cake. I just realized it's been my tenth major version upgrade :cool:

All I had to do was the usual, just make sure passwords are inherited.
Yes. Be careful merging. With the 14.0 upgrade you're going to need to edit a few important files. Files related to user accounts and groups. Those are easy to mess up.

… this seems to be the last FreeBSD version supporting 32-bit. …

32-bit x86 (i386)​

Tier 2 is:
  • confirmed for 14.⋯
  • projected for 15.⋯.
<https://www.freebsd.org/platforms/>

Drafted two months ago:

In release notes it says "FreeBSD 15.0 is not expected to include support for 32-bit platforms other than armv7", which basically means Raspberry Pi.
Assuming that's correct, I guess it means end of security support around November 2028. I can't complain, we still have time to use our oldies instead of letting them collecting dust in the attic. 🙂
64-bit installations will still be able to compile and run 32-bit applications, but I doubt I will ever need that feature - in my FreeBSD 64-bit machine I just use and write 64-bit libraries.

Back