Which is your Favourite Linux?

I still use OpenSUSE and SUSE Linux. What can I say, I'm a German American ;) We make good stuff!

I still don't like Fedora Core, but that's just me. I mean if it works for someone and they like it, my opinion shouldn't matter anyway. I also still like Slackware and Debian, which is the other stuff I use.

Hey @all

i only use ubuntu or kubuntu for test stuff since i changed to FreeBSD.
soon i will have a look at Debian because my last experience a years ago.

Hello Folks,

I suggest trying out sidux, which uses Debian sid as it's core with some fixes.
Any rate you can read about more about it @ sidux

I used *buntu for awhile, but had better support for my BCM 4311 rev 1 wireless in my old Compaq C551NR laptop.
I never went back. I use the toram "switch" to increase my install rate.
The installer is extremely simple. My friend installed Debian as his first distro had a hard time since the installer was to simple... lol
I still use sidux.

i'm using arch on my low end toshiba laptop. great distro if you're not afraid to get your hands a little dirty - and a nice payoff in terms of performance, responsiveness, and customization.

Got the family desktop running Linux Mint on a 10 yr old machine. Very responsive, nice software selection, and easy for the tech-challenged to use.

MY personal preference is Debian .
Here is my lap top specs

Lenovo N500

Debian 5.0.5 Lenny With xfce and Openoffice 3.2.1 from Debian backots

/dev/sda
500GB Aftermaaket
Display: 15.4'' TFT
RAm: 3072MB
Intel Hraphics Media Accelerator

My preferences are for ease of use, speed, and stability.

Linux Mint is very good and the fluxbox edition is very fast, comparable to Arch. The appearance is quite good. The fluxbox edition requires some configuration but not as much as Arch.

PCLinuxOS is the fastest KDE4 distribution I've ever tried. The hardware support is excellent. I don't like the appearance as much as opensuse but would suggest that for anyone having issues with speed on opensuse they try PCLinuxOS.

Debian is fast and requires almost as much configuration as Arch. I haven't seen the Linux Mint Debian version yet but that may be one of the better combinations that I've heard of.

Fedora is interesting but the rapid changes frequently cause problems and the distribution is not very friendly for individual desktop users. Too often some esoteric command line magic is needed to make various things work. That does not include installing drivers from source because the included drivers have too may bugs.

>emulators/linux_base-f10
+1 lol
Also i've come to hate ubuntu after trying to upgrade my fathers laptop from 8.04 to 10.04. After about a day of jumping around with timbrel in my hand, i've just reinstalled it.
While on his desk everything went smooth and cool.

nekoexmachina said:
>emulators/linux_base-f10
+1 lol
Also i've come to hate ubuntu after trying to upgrade my fathers laptop from 8.04 to 10.04. After about a day of jumping around with timbrel in my hand, i've just reinstalled it.
While on his desk everything went smooth and cool.

Me too Linux Emulation does almost everything and well too, the family computer is Ubuntu and it works for the most part, but sometimes it can be a real PITA to work with.x( like the time I removed network manager to use the interfaces file to setup networks which broke it and I had to manually fetch packages and their dependencies from another computer to fix it.

Been using Slackware for the past 2 years, just switched over to FreeBSD a month ago. Just my 2 cents, I feel like the newer linux distros are trying to migrate in more mainstream users by emulating the Mac OS (yes I know it's technically a BSD) desktop environment. Prime examples: Ubuntu and any distro the defaults a GNOME or KDE desktop.

I'm not a computer guru, I'm a biologist by background; the switch to linux from windows XP was prompted by the annoyance of learning a new microsoft OS every 3-5 years - no thank you. I really want a stable system that once I learn how things work, it will for the most part stay the same.

So FreeBSD here I am ;)

But Slackware was a very nice distro and a good bridge distro to migrate from linux -> BSD

Although I'm just an amateur, I have been playing with computers since the 70's, yet I have never had the guts to run MS-Windows so I managed with DOS. When a GUI became mandatory, my only realistic choice was Linux. I've been running Kubuntu for some years now. Linux is trying to be popular by emulating everything about Macs and MS. I'm finding it just not stable enough any more. So yes, I'm with you captobvious:
I really want a stable system that once I learn how things work, it will for the most part stay the same.
Linux is good, and FOSS is the only way to go in my mind. However BSD is the logical next step. :)

It's been a while since I posted on here last, but with all the talk on here, I figured I'd pop in to give my personal opinion on some of the things said. Of course, I'll point out clearly, that this is ALL my personal Opinion, and so there isn't much in the way of technical reason for MY choices anyway ;)

My start in Computers is much less than most around here. I didn't own one until VERY late 1999. That was when I got my very first computer ever. I'd always been fascinated with them, because whenever I saw one, I looked at the screen, and thought "Wow, this thing does SO much! It's nothing like what I've used, and I want one!".

Basically, all of two of my family members owned a Computer at that time, and the only other time I saw one was in school. These were Macs at school, and I didn't know a thing about them either. Well, I ended up being kicked out of high school for grades (They can do that, or at least they could then) because even though I'd been diagnosed with ADD, they couldn't get a medication to actually work. My teachers thought I was stupid, my family thought I was lazy, and it took years to find out that really, I had a very above average IQ (I have an IQ of 146, which when I read the results and the chart I got, is around Genius level) and so of course this was a shock and a half....

The teachers I had to deal with assumed I was stupid and that THAT was the reason I did poorly. My Family figured I was lazy and didn't pay attention, and it wasn't until some testing that the cause was found to be it wasn't that I was stupid, but in fact a Genius level IQ person, who oddly enough, will end up a lot like Bart Simpson....

Heh, if you guys ever watched The Simpsons, remember the episode where Bart is taking the IQ test in school, and switches his paper for Martin's? And the school finds out when the guy comes in and says "The reason BArt acts out and does so poorly is that he finds no challenge in his school work" and so on?

Well it was kind of like that. I ended up going to an adult learning center, and after about one semester, I learned that these classes were HALF credits... So it would take longer. I decided to try for a GED, because I wanted to have a diploma.

The State of Michigan at that time, was starting to change how those worked, and I had basically a month to start preparing myself for the tests, and pass them all, because the next month, they were changing how it all worked, and I'd have to start over again.

Well, I ended up going in when they had an opening, and to make it through, I'd do two tests each day. Not only did I pass, but I got such high marks that I got an equivalence instead of the standard GED.

A while later, I went to college, made the Honor's List, and became good friends with the Professor's in the Computer Science labs. I was part of the gifted group in the Computer Science department. All this within 4 years of turning on my first computer.

I think those of us with ADD for some reason learn through Computers better than other methods. But anyway, I'm rambling, sorry lol.

I personally don't like Ubuntu... But, at the same time, I have no issue with a Distro of Linux trying to be more like Windows. I don't care about that at all.

I've had very food experiences with certain versions of Mandrake / Mandriva Linux, and then some versions, were basically crap.

I haven't ever really liked Red Hat, or Fedora Core... But again, that's personal preference. I HATE Gentoo however.... I'm glad the people who like it found something they REALLY like and all, but I personally refuse to use it. I can't stand it Honestly.

The following, are the Distros I personally use and love:

SUSE / OpenSUSE
Slackware
Debian
NetSecL / The Security Enhanced Slackware
Mandrake / Mandriva (Depending on version of course...Some are just terrible)
A few smaller distros I've used, which I can't recall the names of... Mostly the Slackware based ones.

And of course FreeBSD, PC-BSD and all of them based on FreeBSD. I don't mind NetBSD, but I personally am more of a FreeBSD guy. OpenBSD... I don't like it, and I don't like the guy who makes it. I have no issue with his gigantic Ego, it's his personality and "We won't use ANYTHING that isn't open, even if it means being behind or our users suffering for it"... THAT bugs me.

As for Windows, and DOS, and all that... I do like Windows 2000, but don't use it anymore, and I do like Windows 7, which has a PowerShell which is a step in the right direction FINALLY. (Who here was EVER actually Happy Hacking in a DOS prompt? Heh).

Anyway, that's just my opinion, and I don't push my opinions on others, so you won't see me telling anyone here they're wrong in any way shape or form, unless they ask me what I think. That's one of the things people seem to like about me heh.

Frankly, my dear, the Simpsons sucks the big one.

gore said:
Heh, if you guys ever watched The Simpsons, remember the episode where Bart is taking the IQ test in school, and switches his paper for Martin's? And the school finds out when the guy comes in and says "The reason BArt acts out and does so poorly is that he finds no challenge in his school work" and so on?

That was a Dennis the Menace television episode from 1961, except that instead of switching tests it's a grading error from the "Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate" problem.

gore said:
. . . (Who here was EVER actually Happy Hacking in a DOS prompt? Heh). . . .

Me.

Hehe. Not to take this too far astray - but I couldn't leave that alone. :) It is noteworthy in this context that DOS is completely run by user written configuration files in such a way that every computer is highly personalized and extremely efficient to the user who set it up - much like a shell only *nix system. It is also noteworthy that it is trivial to do e-mail on a system with a single 360K floppy and no other storage beyond a flyspec of RAM. Yes, this is seriously fun "hacking". Try it!

I do all my writing and text file management on a pure DOS machine. I even use it for a fair amount of network stuff. I can't imagine any OS coming even close for text management. Yes, personal opinion of course, but my point is that I do use DOS in a serious manner and the files fly back and forth effortlessly from there to my *nix boxes. No, I don't use any of the original distribution files - just my own collection of utilities - which is the only way to do it in that world. So, yeah, I'm actually "Happy Hacking in a DOS prompt".

captobvious said:
Been using Slackware for the past 2 years, just switched over to FreeBSD a month ago. Just my 2 cents, I feel like the newer linux distros are trying to migrate in more mainstream users by emulating the Mac OS (yes I know it's technically a BSD) desktop environment. Prime examples: Ubuntu and any distro the defaults a GNOME or KDE desktop.

I'm not a computer guru, I'm a biologist by background; the switch to linux from windows XP was prompted by the annoyance of learning a new microsoft OS every 3-5 years - no thank you. I really want a stable system that once I learn how things work, it will for the most part stay the same.

So FreeBSD here I am ;)

But Slackware was a very nice distro and a good bridge distro to migrate from linux -> BSD

I agree, Linux was a good stepping stone, but I had to graduate sooner or later, happier here on FreeBSD which has worked far better than I ever imagined it would, Ubuntu is definitely changing to a desktop for non-computer people especially with the whole unity thing and that is one of the reasons I refused to use Ubuntu beyond learning the basics, you could say that I saw the writing on the wall.

Desktop: openSUSE. Used Ubuntu before but once I tried openSUSE I never looked back.
For a server, if it really has to be linux for whatever reason, I would probably choose Debian.

Back