Which is your Favourite Linux?

I see a lot of you mentioning Slack, which is the one distro I haven't tried yet. I'm now tempted to throw it in a VM and mess around with it :p.

noobster said:
You might want to try VirtualBox instead of QEMU, because in my experience it runs much faster and installing a Linux should work without problems.
If I could I would but virtualbox fails to build (after I spent over 2 days compiling a legion of dependencies for it), and there appears to be no prebuilt binary for it...unless there's one ready in ports now.

Vote: Slackware

I must say that I agree with most in this thread, Slackware is the linux distro that I came to FreeBSD from and it will as such always be my favorite.

Hrm...even with the binary of virtualbox available, I still can't get it to work. I honestly don't have the patience to make it work either...it requires WAY too many dependencies and there are too many conflicts.

There is no other kinds!

Back in university years (early 1980, 81/82) I fell in love with the unix systems on campus. Have been using Apple plus/2c/gs, then mac classic etc. Always, though, have been missing unix. In 2004 (?), to my surprise, I found online and installed FreebSD 5.3. My love rekindled!!

As learning experience, I have also tried Mandrake, Yellow Dog, Oopen Suse, Ubuntu, Slackware, Xandros. I particularly liked the now gone Libranet.

I ALWAYS came back to my now 7.2 release FreeBSD. It always works, never fails. I run 7.2 Fbsd on my workstation, and PC-BSD on a Compaq laptop (to watch Flash videos).

I love my FreeBSD, and there is still so much to learn, to make it so much better.

Sasha

sabayon linux is based on gentoo with a binary package manager for the lazy working alongside portage. pretty good.

I jumped around for a long time, since the later 90's using Red Hat, Mandrake, Suse etc. I eventually came to the conclusion that less is more, and have avoided the big distributions ever since. I also found that Gentoo was more trouble than it was worth so ArchLinux was the best of both worlds. Minimalistic, fast, and stable enough...

DutchDaemon said:
@Almindor

Using ports on a desktop/laptop sounds like overkill to me. I will only use ports on heavy servers where I need the extra edge of compiling in a certain way. On the desktop, I use packages 95% of the time (I will use a port if I need a quick security upgrade, or if I just don't want to wait for new functionality).

My latest laptop was up and running in 1.5 hours (STABLE compiled + 478 installed packages, X11/windowmaker). If it takes more time, you're doing it the wrong way.

By the way: GenToo and FreeBSD, while 'alike in spirit', are still very different beasts. I don't think a less-than-optimal experience with GT has any reflection on BSD (one of my colleagues ditched GT for BSD, and he couldn't be happier).

I pretty much have done the same thing.

I use Ubuntu or Fedora for my desktop and laptop. Ubuntu is nice for laptops, as I always say, "It just works". I switched to FreeBSD awhile back, love it for server operations, built to stay running and fast.

hugo said:
Not necessarily, I know at least one person that got started with FreeBSD ;)

My first experience with a non-Windows system was NetBSD 1.x in the mid 90's. After using it for a while a friend introduced me to Red Hat Linux. It seemed very backwards compared to what I had learned from NetBSD.

I use Ubuntu Linux from time to time on the desktop and it is nice until I have to do anything other than routine desktop tasks. The underlying system supporting Ubuntu is very strange and feels hacked together.

I am much prefer FreeBSD/OpenBSD when possible.

DutchDaemon said:
I find it very difficult to underestimate linux.

Hah. :beer

After 10+ years fighting with various linux distros, i feel arch gave me the least of headaches. Default install is small and somewhat clean. Using pacman makes it easy to quickly build the desired machine.

Which is your Favourite Linux?
Slackware, hands down. Gentoo a close 2nd, then Arch.
Btw, If you ever need to recommend a 'Linux' to a friend or newbie, try linuxmint easier than *buntus and you won't get bugged as much.

Debian for servers and Ubuntu for Desktops.

Ever since FreeBSD 8.0, I might be forced to leave FBSD for a more secure future; but I love FBSD.

homemade said:
Debian for servers and Ubuntu for Desktops.

Ever since FreeBSD 8.0, I might be forced to leave FBSD for a more secure future; but I love FBSD.

Microsoft or Apple? I don't think of Linux while talking of a secure future on the very desktop? Linux as *BSD is just not relevant on the desktop.

I'm going to throw my preferences out there, but I know it'll probably provoke discussion. The only nix OS I install anymore are FreeBSD. I used to prefer Slackware, and before that RedHat, Mandrake, Arch, and Gentoo. None are as stable as FreeBSD and all are more difficult to maintain due to the fact that all (except Gentoo) use binary packages, so you have to find a package built for your specific version or create one yourself. The ports tree gets away from all that. I may need to revise this if I ever have to reinstall my DVR; I've heard that the multimedia device support under Linux is much better than BSD.

The Linux I use most often is the System Rescue CD for troubleshooting, cleaning, and recovering data from systems. I feel that this is the 'best' Linux out there - not to run your machine with on a regular basis, but rather as a rescue/troubleshooting tool. I cannot count the number of times I've used it to save a system and have the CD laying on my desks, both at home and at work. I regularly use ClamAV (antivirus), gParted (non-destructive partition table editor, ala Partition Magic), partimage (partition imaging tool, ala Ghost), and of course the regular system tools included in the OS (fdisk, dd, badblocks, ntfs-3g, ping, nmap, traceroute, etc) and find the CD as a whole to be invaluable.

Hi
I've been installing PCBSD in Virtual box as guests under host Win XP, just tinkering really. I definitely hate Damn Small Linux, I thought it could be a cool lightweight OS but didn't suit my machine ?
VirtualBox has performed alot better than I expected, once I find a PCBSD I like heaps I'll setup a dual boot system but the idea of running a safe OS in a Virtual environment is a really interesting security environment, as long as I don't share folders with XP.

I just re-installed Haiku Alpha 1

Its not linux, but I like it. Its simple and minimalist. Nice community too, without the elitist 'tude I'm noticing in this thread.

Back