Which is your Favourite Linux?

drhowarddrfine said:
Ok. This pathetic thread has been going on for 7 months now and is a duplicate of hundreds of other forums all over the 'net.

You're absolutely right.

But, since the thread is still open.....Debian

If only major vendors paid more attention to freebsd we could forget about all these linuces ^_^ Though openSUSE is ok for a desktop.

For a Linux distro I'd have a clean LFS system. Just a kernel, binutils, common base binaries and all the sources. No files relating to any specific distro.

Anyone ever heard of Linpus Linux? It was once on my Acer netbook. Never seen a distro suck that much. It was completely infected by Acer to be sure nothing will work from shell.
I think it's important for the Linux community to keep the knowledge and not to become owned by companies. They are running a silent war against O.S.S, but will never admit that.

Well, I've only first tried FreeBSD about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and instantly fell in love with it. Most stuff seemed to *work* and when it doesn't there were many, *many* ways to get help.. Google, IRC, Forums, PR's, Mailing Lists, etc, etc..

I first started in the *nix world with FreeSpire, which I ended up hating, when xorg wouldn't work right, and moved to Ubuntu. After a few months, I grew out of that, and moved on to Debian. After sticking with Debian for a few _years_, people kept telling me to try ArchLinux. Right off the bat there were a few things I didn't like about it, namely how protective the Arch community is... I gave it a shot anyway, and stuck with it for a few months, and still to this day, dual boot it, with fBSD on my laptop. After Arch I decided it was time to try something new, and was pointed in the world of the BSDs. So I gave Free a try and instantly fell in love with it. Ports are amazing, the documentation is great, the community is very nice. Overall it was-- *IS* great.

Recently my friend told me to try Gentoo Linux, which I have now, on my secondary desktop. I think if I was going to back fully back to Linux, it would be Gentoo. However I really have no plans on going back.

So, to cap it up:
I run BSD when I can:
- Desktop
- Laptop (dual boot)
- Test Server
I run Debian on my VPS
I run Easy Peasy (an ubuntu variant) on my netbook (considering throwing BSD on it though)
I run Arch on my laptop (dual boot) (thinking about replacing with Gentoo)
I run CentOS on my other home server. (once again, considering moving it to BSD).
I have a third desktop with a windows install on it, and XP on the second drive of my Desktop, but never used.

Phew- lots of typing xD.

I used to run Debian on my servers and ArchLinux on my desktops/laptops. Debian was nice and stable for the servers, but trying to use it on the desktop usually just frustrated me as stable is too old and the unstable I had things break too often.

Arch was nice on the desktop as things were very simple to configure (kinda like BSD, but not quite) and had the latest packages. The rolling-release system was not very good for server use though.

I've used tons of Linux distros over the years (Redhat, Mandrake, SuSE, Gentoo, Slackware, Ubuntu, Fedora, and probably more) and those were the two I liked the best.

Everything is FreeBSD (except one) now though. :) I have the best of both plus more!

Hmm...
On the start with my travel I use "PLD 1.0" http://www.pld-linux.org/
After, I install Slackware and I love this distrubution.
Next, Debian. Nice, Simple, Many howto's, forums, docs. Apt-get is realy good...
SUSE Linux - no comment... This "yast" is a "M$ Win" Control Panel! Is not a linux for me ;)
RedHat/CentOS is very nice. Clean-up, order, simple system.
But... Fedora not like user instructions and preferences. I make have "Xfce4" - ok, but fedora autoinstall in my system 10000 dependence.
I don't like this! Wrr..! :)

My like Linux is Slackware but I don't use him.
RedHat/Centos and Debian is so good for me :)

Sigh, seems as though I'm completely Linux-ed out. I'm happier with running Matlab on FreeBSD than I am natively on Linux. Just so many things about Linux that turn me off. Oh well, it'll get there some day.

The only Linux that exists for me in my personal life is Slackware, and it's only installed on my laptop because of poor FreeBSD support for my wifi card. My first introduction to Linux was two years or so of RedHat, but I didn't learn anything until I switched to Slack, and I never felt like I was on top of the game until I moved to FreeBSD.

I do have to dabble with various other Linux distros for work, the most tolerable has been CentOS.

Mormegil said:
The only Linux that exists for me in my personal life is Slackware, and it's only installed on my laptop because of poor FreeBSD support for my wifi card. My first introduction to Linux was two years or so of RedHat, but I didn't learn anything until I switched to Slack, and I never felt like I was on top of the game until I moved to FreeBSD.
Mental note: when time travelling into the future, try not to run into one's future self ;)

I could have written your post, except that I found a USB WiFi adapter that works with FreeBSD - wheee :) But getting back on topic, I do agree about Slackware. I've seen several Linux distros old and new (and yes, I too started with RedHat), but Slackware has always been the one that gave the least reason for swearing and cursing.

Alphons

I tried the LFS route over the last couple of days. I have a project going on right now where I need a good-but-small distro of Linux, so I've tried out a few. None have fit the bill thus far. It HAS to be one iso only, and many distros are many isos and have essentials spread out amongst them. So now I'm downloading the latest archlinux, as that always did well for me. If this doesn't work, then perhaps I'll go the Debian route, as that has worked for me in the past as well. And for the record...I'm installing them into QEMU, not running them on a normal system. One might argue that this is a terrible idea...but I already have Windows 2000 running through QEMU with no problems and if that works just fine, then a Linux of some kind should too...and thus far, all I've tried have failed.

Eponasoft said:
And for the record...I'm installing them into QEMU, not running them on a normal system. One might argue that this is a terrible idea...but I already have Windows 2000 running through QEMU with no problems and if that works just fine, then a Linux of some kind should too...and thus far, all I've tried have failed.

You might want to try VirtualBox instead of QEMU, because in my experience it runs much faster and installing a Linux should work without problems.

Back