Which is your Favourite Linux?

killasmurf86 said:
Oh, no gentoo doesn't rock. I have used gentoo for about 1 year. At time i did like it. mostly because i learned many nix things using it. But otherwise it's a nightmare.

Compiling ports(ebuild or whatever, don't remember gentoo's name), sux bigtime. Upgrading ports mostly will fail ever few days.

If you build from sources. it's like russian roulette. you can never be sure that you will be able to successfully compile system.

From point of view of documentation gentoo rocks, but from usability it greatly sux.

I like arch, even if it's not ready yet.

also for new ppl, i recommend Mandriva (well, when i used it it was good, for newcomers)
Hey, but isn't that the fun of gentoo? Finding out what went wrong and fixing it, building a system to your liking.

I start with FreeBSD.
I use many Linux, AIX, Solaris...
But, my desktop (home & works) - FreeBSD.
Many servers - FreeBSD (mail, db, www, filesharing & other)
But... Many servers with linux & AIX - for Oracle =(((
I love FreeBSD, and hate Linux =)
It stupid and non-logic system.

DutchDaemon said:
@Almindor

Using ports on a desktop/laptop sounds like overkill to me. I will only use ports on heavy servers where I need the extra edge of compiling in a certain way. On the desktop, I use packages 95% of the time (I will use a port if I need a quick security upgrade, or if I just don't want to wait for new functionality).

My latest laptop was up and running in 1.5 hours (STABLE compiled + 478 installed packages, X11/windowmaker). If it takes more time, you're doing it the wrong way.

By the way: GenToo and FreeBSD, while 'alike in spirit', are still very different beasts. I don't think a less-than-optimal experience with GT has any reflection on BSD (one of my colleagues ditched GT for BSD, and he couldn't be happier).
As I recall, the closest linux distro to FreeBSD is really CRUX, not Gentoo. I don't have any experience with it, though.

The one linux I like is Ubuntu Ultimate x64 ;)
Next to it I got FreeBSD 7.0 x86.
(I like both OS's, but tend to use linux more since I'm on a laptop, and linux supports it better than BSD).
BTW: Dunno if it's just me, but, There are quite a lot of hate here towards linux (both in sig's and posts). I expected hate toward windoze, but didn't really expect such hate toward linux.

Please let's not start a Linux/BSD thread again ;) It's all been said before. For example: you'll hardly ever find things like 'M$', 'Winblows' and 'Windoze' on a BSD forum. It's a different outlook, and it's geared toward Unix in general (the Big Friend), not Microsoft (the Big Enemy). I don't hate Microsoft, it hardly even exists for me; and I don't think any BSD is trying to overthrow and annihilate Microsoft; they just want to build a robust and secure operating system in its own right. Focus on their own work. Then there's the historic 'pain' of BSD getting caught up in and slowed down by a lengthy lawsuit because of licensing issues (UNIX), which paved the way for Linux steaming ahead, which still bothers some people who feel Linux only has quantity, whereas BSD has quality. There's the (perceived) "chaotic/unorganised/sloppy Linux" vs. "elite/tightly organised/smooth BSD" development process. Etc. etc. etc. etc. Really, Google has all the threads and history of Linux/BSD.. The twain shall probably never meet again.

Right now. I use FreeBSD and Ubuntu as a desktop. Once virtualbox is ported to FreeBSD...(I hope it will). Then it's FreeBSD all the way

Greetz

yup... i am waiting for it also... now i am using OpenSolaris for my office desktop and FreeBSD for my home dekstop.

>It's my understanding they say the same thing about BSD too.

Yes BSD is dying for some decades now. That's humor, but comparing a mature and well-known operating system that drives huge parts of the internet to some distro is somewhat bewildering.

My favourite Linux is Slackware, it's the OS I use the most time. Linux and *BSD are great operating systems, both of them have got their advantages and disadvantages.

BTW: I don't like BSD vs. Linux flamewars as well as I don't like Linux/BSD/Unix vs. Windows flamewars. Everybody can use the OS he want to use. For example for a user, who only wants to write letters, the OS is not really interesting, the most operating systems will provide capabilities to do that. FreeBSD and Linux are the operating systems, which fulfill my expectations, so I use both.

Best Regards
christian

christian said:
My favourite Linux is Slackware, it's the OS I use the most time. Linux and *BSD are great operating systems, both of them have got their advantages and disadvantages.

BTW: I don't like BSD vs. Linux flamewars as well as I don't like Linux/BSD/Unix vs. Windows flamewars. Everybody can use the OS he want to use. For example for a user, who only wants to write letters, the OS is not really interesting, the most operating systems will provide capabilities to do that. FreeBSD and Linux are the operating systems, which fulfill my expectations, so I use both.

Best Regards
christian

Funny thing is I tend to find the Linux+BSD vs Windows flamefests funny. But I guess that's because I tend to put Linux & BSD (since they both are opensource) in the same "team" and windows in the other one.

Also my Favorite Linux changed from ubuntu ultimate to M$Linux 11.1 x64.

I see Linux vs Windows flamefests. I fail to see BSD vs Windows flamefests, really. We're not that bothered. We don't write M$ either..

Dabbling wilt different Dsirobutions.

My personal preference is Refhat based distributions such as Fedora or CenTOS. I haver also dabbled with slackware, Ubuntu, Pre novel Suse Linx 9.0,OpenSuse and Debian.

I prefer Ubuntu because the synaptic have all application like FreeBSD package and use gnome2 for desktop manager.

Back