Which is your Favourite Linux?

although i use arch where i have to use linux, it isn't a good choice for environments that demand stability. its the only linux i have used in the last few years that will periodically explode after a package update...although its getting better.

i doubt many freebsd users would recommend ubuntu, but i think it has its place

b7j0c said:
i doubt many freebsd users would recommend ubuntu, but i think it has its place

I consider Ubuntu to be ok for non-technical-orientated people (like my boss for instance) but like you said, I wouldn't recommend it. Centos is my weapon of choice if I must use Linux (although I do have a mental problem using yum and rpm).

from_mars said:
there is no portsnap and it scared to updates.

You are TOTALLY absolutly wrong my friend!

and for "flash" reasons i'm going to quit bsd world[installed gnash and never could it see anything] it is annoying that matter of flash!

while they do not see that point[flash] u people of BSD will remain at idle on OS's world!

bye return to arch(downloading 57%)...

d_mon said:
for "flash" reasons i'm going to quit bsd world[installed gnash and never could it see anything] it is annoying that matter of flash!

You are totally, absolutely wrong. Flash works perfectly fine on recent versions of FreeBSD.

Fonz

*blinks confused* People like flash?

*blinks confused* People like flash?

But as for the topic, erm, I've only used RH5 then two iterations of Mandrake (7.1 being the last as I recall) in that order before I ended up with FreeBSD 5 and I've yet to have any desire for any other OS. So, my favourite linux would have to be a BSD I am afraid.

d_mon said:
while they do not see that point[flash] u people of BSD will remain at idle on OS's world!

Flash is a pain to install right, but once you get it working, it works about as well as Flash ever worked.

Anyway -- another +1 for Arch from me.

UNIXgod said:
Some people enjoy surfing the internet. Flash is a byproduct of that need.

With advances in javascript engines (performance, multithreading, canvas, high performance/cross browser frameworks) and incorporation of HTML5&CSS3, most serious design companies are cleverly shifting away from Flash and similar technologies that are suffering from many design flaws and at same time cost a lot in licenses. In next couple of years (when most people have modern browsers) I do not see any big web projects still relying on flash or anything else based on binary plug-ins (which is terrible invention of the 90s).

expl said:
With advances in javascript engines [snip] and incorporation of HTML5&CSS3, most serious design companies are cleverly shifting away from Flash and similar technologies
True, but this is a gradual process. I've never liked Flash but I still see it a whole lot. The problem with JavaScript btw is that many people have it disabled.

Fonz

Oxyd said:
Flash is a pain to install right
For what it's worth: maybe it's just me but although installing Flash used to be a royal pita indeed, especially with something other than Netscape/Firefox, I think there has been significant improvement lately.

Fonz

fonz said:
You are totally, absolutely wrong. Flash works perfectly fine on recent versions of FreeBSD.

But you install separate X libs and GTK...it's like double versions for FreeBSD and the Linuxulator. Then there's the whole darn Fedora base, and all the other F10 stuff. Seems like a real buzzkill for 'minimalism'. Can I install the whole Linux kernel too? I got rid of it all, and turned off the Linux support. It seemed super silly. I can live without it. At least until there's a native one (probably never). :(

I considered going to Arch, but why? Learn a whole new system for a plugin? I'm too comfortable with FreeBSD now. Everything else on my laptop works perfect. Flash drains my battery super fast, and I get most distracted by YouTube videos anyway.

d_mon said:

Um. Flash is a web/browser thing, not an operating system thing. It's also an Adobe thing. It's not BSD's fault if Adobe won't cooperate with it.

Updated reply.
I run FreeBSD 9.0 Beta 3. My favourite version of Linux is Slackware. Arch is nice, but, it is too unstable for day to day use ( I run Arch in a VM).

All Linux OSes completely tie the user down to the distro's package server, which is probably due to large company influences such as RedHat who want to "be in control" of their users and customers. For this reason, Linux pisses me off.

Having said that, my favorite Linux is Fedora Core 3&4... because it had a nice background.
The RedHat EL5 theme looks pretty nifty and so does the beta version of RHEL6, but unfortunately the release version of RHEL6 looks crap with it's wannabe Vista black theme.

kpedersen said:
All Linux OSes completely tie the user down to the distro's package server, which is probably due to large company influences such as RedHat who want to "be in control" of their users and customers. For this reason, Linux pisses me off.

That is true up to a point. The Slackware package managers pkgtool and slackpkg offer a high degree of control for the user. All configuration steps done on a Slackware station are done with a text editor. Slackware is very Unix-like in set-up and use. You can set-up a Slackware box exactly the way you want it.

Back