Which is your Favourite Linux?

I have been using Linux for fifteen years (Systems Administration, and programming web platforms). Started with Slackware version 2. Switched to Debian. Dabbled in Redhat and SuSE. Always returned to Debian.

Redhat committed unforgivable crimes distributing broken gcc and perl packages on RedHat 5,6 and 8 (before RHEL and Fedora releases). That, and broken X distro on version 5.2 has caused me to be leery of any thing labeled "RedHat". I'll even endorse CentOS over RedHat because it does not carry the tainted name. (Yes, irrational behavior on my part!)

I have been happily playing with BSD (the big four - NetBSD, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, DragonflyBSD) for a year now. I like BSD more than Solaris 7,8, or 9 (forget 10, its not even UNIX anymore!)

For Linux, Ubuntu for the desktop (if you stick with LTS releases only, it is almost Debian), Debian or CentOS for server.

I have a few questions for you about some of your post :

timotheosh said:
Redhat committed unforgivable crimes distributing broken gcc and perl packages on RedHat 5,6 and 8 (before RHEL and Fedora releases). That, and broken X distro on version 5.2 has caused me to be leery of any thing labeled "RedHat". I'll even endorse CentOS over RedHat because it does not carry the tainted name. (Yes, irrational behavior on my part!)

I've heard about this before but I don't know much about it. I remember reading about it. I was reading something or other online one day, and I'm not a fan of RedHat at all, and I was looking up something and found this article that talked about Red Hat shipping with broken products.

They didn't really go into much detail about it so I don't know much about what happened, and since I'm no fan of theirs anyway, I don't have a clue what happened. I wasn't using RedHat other than to try it out once or twice before deciding I didn't like it.

Do you have any details? I'm wondering more or less what happened, and WTF they were thinking. I mean if a Company like RedHat made a screw up that's one thing, but shipping an Operating System where the Compiler AND Perl are both broken, that's pretty high up there. I mean this isn't a simple mistake where they shipped and forgot to add something or they maybe had a last minute change that broke ONE application, this is like REALLY bad because then you can't compile, and Perl, as far as I know, you need that for certain other things to work in Red Hat, so that's a HUGE screw up.

Do you have any details on this? Like what happened or how they fixed it?

I like BSD more than Solaris 7,8, or 9 (forget 10, its not even UNIX anymore!)

What do you mean by 10 isn't Unix? Again, I don't really have much experience in Solaris, so I don't know much on that aspect. I've only got PC hardware, and I only have really the Solaris for X86 that was shipped out a few years ago.

Hi gore,

I don't remember all the details now. I can tell you that RedHat released a forked version of gcc (it was forked during version 2.95) and called it gcc 2.96. If you go to the gnu archives, you'll see, there is no version 2.96 of gcc. gcc 3.0 came after 2.95, a significant rewrite. I don't remember the version of Redhat that shipped with this broken gcc.

Perl was most definitely broken in RedHat 8. The fix, was to go and download the sources yourself and recompile.

I used to have a workstation at work with Redhat 5.2 installed on it. Every night, I would log out of that system, to the xdm screen, and go home. The next morning the system would be completely locked up, and I would have to reboot.

Every Redhat system I installed back then, including Redhat 5, 6, 7, and 8, I would have to tweak after the install to get everything running properly. If I installed Debian stable or Debian testing, everything would just work, with no issues.

Now to be fair, Redhat has matured into a fine product. But I still occasionally run into some nuance they added that they thought would add value to their product, and would more often than not, just be in the way.

Later, RedHat's mistakes were being done on Fedora, and even that is far more stable than it used to be. Debian has just always been very consistent. There are worse distributions, than RedHat, today.

CentOS is a carbon copy of Redhat Enterprise Server, but you get it free. People use it, so they can transfer to Redhat to get support. I say why bother. Centos has commercial support, and it will cost less and be of equal or higher quality than Redhat.

Technically, Solaris 10 (and 11) is still UNIX. But, they have done away with some POSIX standards on the system. They have totally revamped the init system (done away with inittab). I presume, much of these changes were in line with Sun's goal of making Solaris the ultimate Java platform.

I worked with Solaris 2.6, 7, 8, and 9, and have grown very fond of Solaris. My first impressions of Solaris 10 were all bad. Mainly because they had switched around enough stuff in the shell to where I no longer recognized the system.

If you need the iron, Solaris is still solid. However, with Oracle being anal about patches, it is a total waste on intel/AMD platforms. If you are not going to buy the Sparc servers, stick with Linux or BSD.

Something I have been doing recently with Debian, is use the NetBSD pkgsrc system on it. When Debian stable is only getting released once every two years, it is an effective way to keep up with the jones'

Hey,

First off, thank you for taking the time to reply to all that stuff I asked about, I was trying to remember exactly what happened because, well, I'd read about it, once, but it was a really long time ago, so I couldn't for the life of me remember what had happened. So thanks very much for replying to everything:

timotheosh said:
Hi gore,

I don't remember all the details now. I can tell you that RedHat released a forked version of gcc (it was forked during version 2.95) and called it gcc 2.96. If you go to the gnu archives, you'll see, there is no version 2.96 of gcc. gcc 3.0 came after 2.95, a significant rewrite. I don't remember the version of Redhat that shipped with this broken gcc.

Wow.... That's actually incredibly shoddy of them to say the least. Lol I can't Believe they actually did that!

Perl was most definitely broken in RedHat 8. The fix, was to go and download the sources yourself and recompile.

OK now this is just priceless! I remember a while back I was reading an online article about Red Hat, and they were getting some crap from people because a very high ranking person in the company (Might have been the CEO actually) had said that red Hat wanted to be like Microsoft, and they were basically trying to down play it into "Well Microsoft is very successful and we'd like to be that successful! That's what it meant!" or something to that line.

Shipping a totally broken Perl.... And the fix being "Well download it yourself and fix it yourself" I think they've hit their goal of being like Microsoft lol!

I remember when I took Linux+ in college, the book you had to buy for the coarse, was one that came with two CDs of Red Hat 7.x something. I think 7.2 but I'm not sure since I didn't ever use it. But I do remember that this was literally less than 8 years ago, and even THEN that was out dated as crap.

Thankfully the teacher who did the class, was a good guy and actually knew what he was doing, and he allowed everyone to use something else. Like he even took the time to burn CDs for people who wanted to try something else but didn't have access to a high speed net connection. So he'd let everyone pick what distro they wanted, and then, he would let them download it at school, and then got a portable CD Burner to make the Discs for everyone.

I thought that was cool of him to say the least. At the time I took that class, I was using SUSE 8.2 I think... Anyway, I used SUSE on my Laptop, and then at home, I had a decent selection of stuff; I had SUSE Linux on a desktop, and then I had another with Slackware and FreeBSD, and then I had Ubuntu I tried ONCE.

I'm a little bit picky when it comes to Operating Systems, but, in my defense, I'll actually try them out before I bash them. I mean, I don't like Red Hat at all, but I did try it out first. In fact, when I bought "Linux for Dummies" I got Red Hat 6.1 or something with it, and I did try installing it even though it didn't work on my hardware very well at all, and actually failed during the MBR writing. Which was BAD lol.

But I then tried out Red Hat again for 9. I didn't have THAT many complaints with Red Hat 9, because for the most part, using it as a VERY minimal Desktop, it was kind of OK. I mean I didn't set up any services on it, but just using it very carefully for some basic desktop stuff, it was OK for that.

I mean, basically, I'd install KDE and Gnome, and generally use KDE, and then have Gaim (Which is now Pidgin) installed, and XMMS to listen to music, and some text editors and a web browser, and that was OK.

I didn't ever really keep it long though. I mean after 2 months I just said the heck with it and formatted the drive.

I don't like Gentoo either. Not sure why, I mean, I like the overall look of it, but the whole "Hey why not install EVERYTHING from sources in a manner that makes you wonder why you didn't just pick BSD which does this 10,000 times better and faster?" all that usually annoyed me lol. I mean I know they now have better versions, and you don't need to use the early stage ones, but I just personally don't like the installer.

Now, to be fair, being a Mod for AntiOnline.com, I do get a LOT of questions when it comes to the Operating System forum there, and when people ask, I generally won't talk about Gentoo, or Red Hat, or any other distro I flat out don't like.

I don't talk about them because I don't think it's right for me to make my opinion a decision for someone else. I mean, what if me saying it's crap means they don't use it, and then, they don't find one they truly like? So I just won't talk about the ones I don't like.

The few times I HAVE talked about those, I generally will say at the very least "Hey, I don't like this one, but that doesn't mean you won't. Distros work for different people for different reasons, and if you have a certain personality, you may well be a perfect match for this one" so that way I'm at least not trying to throw my opinion down someone's throat and force it on them.

I do the same with BSD too. I don't like OpenBSD, and I just don't talk about it. I haven't ever liked OpenBSD really. Theo is a doo doo head and annoying, and the OS isn't anything special, and I've always liked FreeBSD the most. That's why I'm here lol. FreeBSD has been my top BSD pick since... Well, since I got into Unix. Even wayyyyyy back when I got my very first PC; I'd never used a Computer much, and knew nothing about them, and when I got into it more, I started learning about different OSs, like Linux, and BSD, and I bought the "BSD PowerPak" which came with FreeBSD 4.0, and The Complete FreeBSD third edition, and I liked it a lot! I stick with FreeBSD, even though I do have NetBSD somewhere on CD, I just don't use it, like ever.

And I have PC-BSD, DesktopBSD, Freesbie, and the one from UnixPunx, which I liked a lot.

I used to have a workstation at work with Redhat 5.2 installed on it. Every night, I would log out of that system, to the xdm screen, and go home. The next morning the system would be completely locked up, and I would have to reboot.

Yea RedHat is weird like that. I mean, you'd think that any given Linux distro would work close to the same, considering the Kernel and all the applications are basically the same except for some versions using different versions and customized apps, but Red Hat seems weird in that it doesn't seem to be as stable as just about anything.

I remember once a few years ago, well, actually a number of years ago.... Anyway, a guy was doing some testing, and reporting his findings on one of the SUSE Mailing Lists, and, his test was taking two machines that were exactly the same; The Hardware was identical, and everything was the same. He then installed Red Hat on one, and SUSE on the other. Then he set up a little web Server, and then used more machines to give them load balancing and all that, and he then started generating Traffic on them.

He said that it was strange, because the SUSE machine almost never used the load Balancing machines at all, and out performed Red Hat by almost double. I always liked that because it made Red Hat look bad and SUSE look good lol.

Every Redhat system I installed back then, including Redhat 5, 6, 7, and 8, I would have to tweak after the install to get everything running properly. If I installed Debian stable or Debian testing, everything would just work, with no issues.

I've had similar happen; Debian works very well for me too. I've liked it quite a bit actually. One of my machines that I used quite often, was a PC with two hard drives in it, and it dual booted FreeBSD and Debian. I totally loved that machine, and as soon as I get the Power Supply replaced in it, I'll probably go back to Debian and BSD on it.

Now to be fair, Redhat has matured into a fine product. But I still occasionally run into some nuance they added that they thought would add value to their product, and would more often than not, just be in the way.

I personally haven't used Red Hat since 9. And Fedora... I did download Fedora Core 1, and I think I stopped not long after that for a long time. I grabbed a new release of it like a year or two ago, but I don't actually remember which version it was, and I didn't install it on anything. I wasn't really a fan of it.

Later, RedHat's mistakes were being done on Fedora, and even that is far more stable than it used to be. Debian has just always been very consistent. There are worse distributions, than RedHat, today.

Yea, I know of a few that I wouldn't use either way. I mean Red Hat isn't great, but there is worse out there.

Technically, Solaris 10 (and 11) is still UNIX. But, they have done away with some POSIX standards on the system. They have totally revamped the init system (done away with inittab). I presume, much of these changes were in line with Sun's goal of making Solaris the ultimate Java platform.

I didn't know about this at all! That just seems weird to me. I didn't like when Ubuntu did away with the usual Root Account, and so changes like this, are something I don't think is cool at all. I mean I don't pretend my opinion matters that much, but I for sure don't like that.

If you need the iron, Solaris is still solid. However, with Oracle being anal about patches, it is a total waste on intel/AMD platforms. If you are not going to buy the Sparc servers, stick with Linux or BSD.

I'm very partial to SGI. They make my dream machines. If I had like, no worries about budget or cost, I'd go with SGI everything heh.

gore said:
I think he meant that the non Sun Hardware isn't the best option for running Solaris.

Yes, that is what I meant. But after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on new Sun equipment, I am not going to blow it away to install another OS.

However, if I were to buy a Sparc pizza box off Ebay, BSD is going on it.

Ubuntu did not get rid of the root account.
$ sudo passwd root
is all you need to activate root. A minor inconvenience, for better desktop security. The way Ubuntu handles root, is one of the reasons I highly recommend it to the "un-initiated".
I use $ sudo su - on every *nix system I work on anyways. The way Ubuntu does things does not interrupt my flow at all.

Gentoo made a lot of sense back in the day when intel had released their Pentium MMX. There were mighty good performance reasons for recompiling all your i386 binaries to take advantage of the expanded instruction set. Now that almost every distro comes with pre-compiled i686 binaries, there are not many good reasons to do that any more. In spite of this, I tried a Gentoo install from scratch four years ago. Could not get it to stage3 over a single weekend, and then abandoned the project. That was the end of that experiment, and I never have been interested enough to go back.

What year did you take Linux+ in college? I taught that certification class six years ago. But not at a college, I did it for Avaya. We used Fedora Core 2 CD's which worked well enough at the time.

timotheosh said:
Gentoo made a lot of sense back in the day when intel had released their Pentium MMX. There were mighty good performance reasons for recompiling all your i386 binaries to take advantage of the expanded instruction set. Now that almost every distro comes with pre-compiled i686 binaries, there are not many good reasons to do that any more. In spite of this, I tried a Gentoo install from scratch four years ago. Could not get it to stage3 over a single weekend, and then abandoned the project. That was the end of that experiment, and I never have been interested enough to go back.

If you ever felt the need to reevaluate Gentoo again look into Funtoo. It's DRobbin's effort to take back his own project. Also for the most part everything seems to work. I, like yourself, had issues with Gentoo years ago.

timotheosh said:
Yes, that is what I meant. But after spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on new Sun equipment, I am not going to blow it away to install another OS.

I bought two Sun Blade 1000 workstations off of ebay used. One had 512M RAM, two UltraSPARC III CPUs. The other came with 8G RAM and a single UltraSPARC III CPU. I had to buy the drives separately. Both have a Mach64 video card, no Sun type.

I don't have a "pizza box" nor can I afford any new sparc64 system.

Oh, FreeBSD/SPARC64 will not work on the SPARC (32) systems. OpenBSD and NetBSD have support for those systems.

From my limited experience, Ubuntu is such a nightmare in a server environment. Anyone who used Ubuntu (or Debian, there isn't really a big difference, is there) probably knows what I mean. Outdated packages. With Ubuntu you end up with "importing" one or the other "ppa" from launchpad (most probably several).

I don't know how up to date SuSE packages are; and I'm afraid to look (rpm based distributions are offlimits at my work place ...). But if they were, I would use SuSE in a heart beat. Their security team is quite amazing, judging from CVE's that can be attributed to them.

Plus there was this whole OpenSSL fiasco. I'm not sure if Ubuntu was affected. But Debian isn't an option anymore. Not ever. Even now, how would you sell that to your boss? You can't ... (and yet, Ubuntu is "the way to go" at my job ... drives my crazy).

But for use at home, Ubuntu is quiet nice. Boots fast, works out of the box. Whats not to like - except that it's not FreeBSD, of course.

timotheosh said:
Hi gore,

CentOS is a carbon copy of Redhat Enterprise Server, but you get it free. People use it, so they can transfer to Redhat to get support. I say why bother. Centos has commercial support, and it will cost less and be of equal or higher quality than Redhat.

I worked with Solaris 2.6, 7, 8, and 9, and have grown very fond of Solaris. My first impressions of Solaris 10 were all bad. Mainly because they had switched around enough stuff in the shell to where I no longer recognized the system.

Something I have been doing recently with Debian, is use the NetBSD pkgsrc system on it. When Debian stable is only getting released once every two years, it is an effective way to keep up with the jones'

I think you're wrong regarding the GCC part. I've searched for it and found this: http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html So it seems 2.96 is a development snapshot of GCC 3.0, incompatible with GCC 2.95 and 3.0. It's not a fork.

Anyway my I favorite distro for desktop is Arch - very much like *BSD and cutting-edge (which I want). On my notebook I use Fedora. It's also a cutting edge distro, but one I don't have to tweak for a couple of hours to make it work according to my needs. And rolling-release model is great for a desktop, but not really for a notebook. That's why I love the FreeBSD ports system, it lets me have a rock-stable OS with the newest software.

Hey all,

Wow, got a lot of replies to answer huh?

OK, I'll start by quoting what I'm talking about, so that way you guys can actually see what I'm responding too, because I'd like to bring up a few things on like at least 3 of the posts made, so I'll quote first to make it more readable :)

Yea O figured that was what you meant :) I can't blame you heh, if I'd spent THAT much money on ALL that stuff.... I'd be hard pressed to just format the drives to put basically anything else on there.

Don't get me wrong; I use FreeBSD and Linux on almost every machine I have... We currently have 11 Computers here, and that's mostly because both my Wife and I are Computer Science Majors, and, in terms of what we like, we both like very similar things; My Wife has more experience in Programming than I do, and She's also stronger in Hardware, where as I'm stronger in Operating Systems in general (I can go into lots of boring crap about more of them) and I also have a stronger BSD skill set, and I'm stronger in Security. Other than that, we have very similar skills. So our skill set compliments each other's skills very well I think.

We both don't like Ubuntu for multiple reasons, and we both like Slackware. My Wife also has watched "20 Years of Berkeley Unix" on DVD with me a hundred times or so, and we're both huge fans of M Kirk McKusick.

We both have a Laptop, and mine currently runs FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE, and my Wife's Laptop currently has Windows XP I think, because my Mom's Compute had died a while back, so, we installed Windows XP on my Wife's Laptop so my Mom could use it for work while Her new machine was being sent.

Then, there is the VERY first Computer I ever bought. It came with 128 MBs of RAM and a 43 GB HD. I upgraded the RAM to 384 MBs, and added a second HD in it so it has close to 200 GBs of Disk in it now, and since the Video card in it has been dying on me for a long time, I haven't run a GUI on that thing in a long time. I ended up installing Slackware 12.0 on it, and setting up VSFTPd, and then, I decided instead of tossing the machine, I could just use it as my FTP Server.

I have another Desktop machine too, which is a Compaq Presario 6000 with an ADM Athlon XP 2600+ (A small Frying Pan with a Heat sink if you ask me) and that is running FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE as well.

So that box has Slackware Linux and is basically an FTP Server. We use it to back up files to it, and then from there, I have a USB External HD that is 80 GBs I can put the most important stuff on, and also a Thumb Drive, and a ZIP Drive I hook up and put more stuff on ZIP Disks.

It's the last time I had to reboot, which was a hardware issue, the Video Card finally went on me, but it still runs, so I just log in over SSH to do Admin tasks. Then there is this machine, which was my Christmas Present the year before last; It's got 4 GBs of RAM, an ATI video card, and an Intel Duo Core 2 Processor. It dual boots Slackware and Windows 7. I use it mainly for games that I actually play, like League of Legends, and FPS games from id Software, and Unreal Tournament (all of them) and the Unreal Series, and a few other things. Basically, Wintendo with Opera for Browsing and SOME Email. I rarely use Windows for Email because I'm picky.

My Mom's old Gateway Essentials recently died on me, but that was running FreeBSD 8.0 and Slackware. It's a POS Celeron Processor @ 433 MHz, and 192 MBs of RAM. My Medion PC also died on me recently which had two HDs, and had Debian Linux and FreeBSD on it too.

My Wife's main Desktop has Windows 7 on it, and then the other two desktops She has are Linux and Windows.

If I had $100,000.00 to blow on a machine, I'd buy an SGI. I'd probably have to buy an old one though, since I'd want IRIX on it. I've never gotten to use it before, and the other option seems to be Linux. I can run Linux on PC hardware, so I'd rather buy a slightly older SGI and get to use IRIX. I do admit that after getting some SGI Workstations and Servers I WOULD buy an Alpha Workstation too. I've had a chance to look at those a little, and though I've never gotten to use one, they look amazing. I'd prefer one of those running Tru64 Unix.

Wow, sorry about that wall of text!

My Wife LOVES Sun. It's a shame Oracle seems intent on destroying what Bill Joy has done to make great machines. I remember reading about Oracle buying out Sun, and then seeing what they've been doing. All I can say when I think of that, si that basically; "The Sun has Set".

Ubuntu did not get rid of the root account.
$ sudo passwd root
is all you need to activate root. A minor inconvenience, for better desktop security. The way Ubuntu handles root, is one of the reasons I highly recommend it to the "un-initiated".
I use $ sudo su -
on every *nix system I work on anyways. The way Ubuntu does things does not interrupt my flow at all.

Yea, I know that, I should have clarified what I meant about that a little better, but the last few weeks have been REALLY long for me, and I haven't been sleeping as much, so basically, I know that Ubuntu does have a root account, and that it's set up that way for a reason, I just meant that I don't like the way they did it, that was all.

What year did you take Linux+ in college? I taught that certification class six years ago. But not at a college, I did it for Avaya. We used Fedora Core 2 CD's which worked well enough at the time.

Honestly, I don't remember the exact year I took the class, but I know it was probably 7 years ago. I want to say it was around 2004, but I could be off. I rarely had any issues with the class other than the fact that I was kind of shocked to see so many people who didn't know a thing about it being in there. I mean to be Honest, I was sort of waiting for two of the people in the class to ask where the Start Menu was. There were two people in my class who just seemed totally lost, and my teacher had to spend a LOT of time with them, so normally, if anyone else had an issue they needed help with, I normally would step in and take care of it.

My Teacher for that class was the guy who was in charge of all the IT / tech related courses, and he was and is, a really good guy. We still talk to this day, and see each other now and then at a gaming store. He likes to use me in examples when he does the Security + class. I consider us friends. He actually gave me more than 100% in the class because not only did I do all the work and get straight "As", I also got extra credit a lot for helping him out in class.

He more or less gave me the extra credit when I was helping him out. I mean, I did a lot of student help in the class as I was saying, where I'd help out everyone who had their hand up while he was stuck working with the two people who knew nothing, and he saw me helping out a lot. So basically, yea, he enjoyed having me in class lol.

I don't know how up to date SuSE packages are; and I'm afraid to look (rpm based distributions are offlimits at my work place ...). But if they were, I would use SuSE in a heart beat. Their security team is quite amazing, judging from CVE's that can be attributed to them.

SUSE is very up to date. I'm one of the biggest SUSE fan boys you'll probably ever meet. I can say quite a lot of good about them. I DO miss the old SuSE Linux 8.1 and 8.2 Professional Distributions, as they were incredibly well done, well thought out and they just worked so well, and when I heard Novell was buying them, I was pretty worried considering it was my favorite all purpose OS.

SUSE has very well updated software, and Marcus Meissner, the head of SUSE Security (Or at least he was the last time I checked anyway) is an awesome guy. I remember one time, I had SUSE Linux running on my main desktop, and the Nvidia Video Card I was using in that machine, was supported by the Nvidia Driver, so I had actual 3D and all that, and, well, one day, I did a Kernel Upgrade because there was a new Security Patch.

After doing the upgrade, I knew I had to drop down to run level 3 (Just Text, no GUI) to re-install the Driver, and there was some weird issue. I happened to know Marcus was on IRC at the time, and I sent him a PM on IRC asking him a few questions, and telling him what happened. He basically asked me what hardware I had in the machine, which Video Card it was, and which drive I was using from Nvidia, and then said in the Room he was in on IRC that he was leaving for work a little early to fix something. He sent me a message saying he would take care of it, and a few hours later, I saw a brand new patch for the Kernel to "Address an issue with certain video cards" and him telling me he fixed it.

The guy literally left for work early, and fixed MY HARDWARE ISSUE for me, and had it done within a few hours. I got the new driver, and everything worked fine again. So yea, needless to say, I was impressed.

pkubaj said:
I think you're wrong regarding the GCC part. I've searched for it and found this: http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html So it seems 2.96 is a development snapshot of GCC 3.0, incompatible with GCC 2.95 and 3.0. It's not a fork.

Yes, I remember, now. There was a "branched" version of GCC, called egcs. This was being used in the "2.96". It was forked for the c++ portion, mainly for greater ISO compliance. The gcc team made this a seperate project, and released this compiler as the egcs compiler (http://gcc.gnu.org/egcs-1.1/), so technically was a fork, until it was merged back in in gcc 3.0.

Other distros packaged this as the egcs compiler, only RedHat packaged it as the gcc-2.96 compiler, which was very misleading.

gore said:
My Wife LOVES Sun. It's a shame Oracle seems intent on destroying what Bill Joy has done to make great machines. I remember reading about Oracle buying out Sun, and then seeing what they've been doing. All I can say when I think of that, si that basically; "The Sun has Set".

The "Sun was setting" as Linux took more and more of the market share in the server room. Sun hardware was like a lot of the classic cars. Built to outlast its owners. With the rate of replacing old hardware with new, Sun's sales model was not fitting the market. Cheaper hardware, and cheaper software replaced steady and stalwart.

I had begun using SuSE for the Desktop back when 6.4 was released and loved it. I never had to tweak anything to get it running. I even bought the boxed editions of every release until 8.2. I found it cumbersome to use as a server over time. SuSE for the desktop, but using it as a server is like trying to use Fedora as a server (by contrast, though, at least SuSE provides security backports for two years after an OpenSuSE release).

I use Debian 6.0.1 on old computer that has 128 MB RAM and runs smoothly with Openbox and Opera. I'm running on it right now. Debian is really stable and light.

I personally stayed with SUSE longer, as I always loved it, though I do miss the older ones. They just seemed to be the best product.

I also miss SUSE's firewall, and the other stuff they made back then. Novell REALLY should have kept that stuff going. It's a shame they didn't. I still have my catalog somewhere here where it shows the other products they made back then.

d_mon said:
more than slitaz i do not think so!
He said it was light, not necessarily the lightest. I remember having told you before that not everything in life is a competition.

d_mon said:
Gentoo...far from 'others' unix/linux
As far as I can tell Slackware, Gentoo and ArchLinux appear to be the most popular (or tolerable, as the case may be) among BSD people. However, I do remember that when I first got started with Linux in the mid '90s, I found RedHat very friendly for beginners.

Fonz (just for what it's worth)

Couldn't run FreeBSD on my laptop, so I installed Arch. I love it. It's very solid. There are a few annoyances, though. On FreeBSD, /home is by default a link to /usr/home and all my software is installed on the /usr partition. This method shall be henceforth known as "the common sense solution". /usr is its own partition and everything is right with the world. With the Arch setup, software is installed on the / partition. Which I suppose makes sense considering what's haphazardly tossed there. Also, I'm swimming in a sea of GNU and it's a very scary place.

Still, perhaps not quite as scary as FreeBSD's package manager/ports tree. That's one big thing I wont miss.

Bellum said:
Couldn't run FreeBSD on my laptop, so I installed Arch. I love it. It's very solid. There are a few annoyances, though. On FreeBSD, /home is by default a link to /usr/home and all my software is installed on the /usr partition. This method shall be henceforth known as "the common sense solution". /usr is its own partition and everything is right with the world. With the Arch setup, software is installed on the / partition. Which I suppose makes sense considering what's haphazardly tossed there. Also, I'm swimming in a sea of GNU and it's a very scary place.

Still, perhaps not quite as scary as FreeBSD's package manager/ports tree. That's one big thing I wont miss.

What do you dislike about it?

Well, to get up-to-date software (for instance, Firefox 6), I had to go through ports. Actually, I installed quite a bit of software through ports, and upgrading ports is a complicated, error prone process. I remember following the UPDATING instructions to the letter, failing, and ultimately having to delete everything and start fresh.

Not to mention, I never quite knew what options to take during compilation. :/

You'd probably be served with the command,
Code:
#example... 
portmaster -d -B -P -i (category/port) [FILE]sysutils/tmux [/FILE][FILE]x11-servers/xorg-server[/FILE]
etc etc, as it has seemed to streamline most every upgrade except those mentioned in UPDATING. As far as options during compilation, usually the defaults, give or take a few, if they compile, suffice for the usage of the port (exceptions of course. )

Back