Which is your Favourite Linux?

nakal said:
I like Gentoo Linux best, but I already managed to break the portage system in a way, where no upgrade was possible anymore already 2 times. Which brought me back to FreeBSD again, because in all the years, I never had problems with ports (of course I don't mean single ports that occasionally don't work correctly, I mean the whole tree). And before anyone mentions it, yeah, I know there is revdep-rebuild on Gentoo (but it did not work!).

FreeBSD Ports Team is the best! I love you guys. Keep the good work!

Nothing beats FreeBSD stability. You gentoo guys should have a look at Funtoo. It's really what gentoo was before the mess.

Breakage is less frequent and fixable. No BS like "drop untested into stable and hope someone with some time on their hands comes along to deal with it.

I personally haven't ever used Gentoo. I've used a distro or two that is based on it, but I haven't ever installed Gentoo on any of my machines. When I first read about it, I was like "WTF is this? They took BSD and slapped a Linux Kernel on top?" And of course that's not accurate, but it was my first thought.

A friend of mine started using it, and then became "The" Gentoo guy, because he loved it. Then he got annoying talking about how his Terminal Window opened up .3 seconds quicker or something. He wouldn't use anything else. After a while he seemed to calm down, and started using Slackware and FreeBSD along side Gentoo.

I've been contemplating downloading a CD ISO of it to give it a whack, but I'm still iffy. Don't get me wrong though; That "G" Logo is really pretty lol.

UNIXgod said:
Nothing beats FreeBSD stability.

Heh, that's what my ears like to hear. :D

You gentoo guys should have a look at Funtoo. It's really what gentoo was before the mess.

Wel, drobbins is the key word here...and actually that guy which pushes 'alternative' to portage, was the main reason why I finally left Gentoo. :e

It was probably 4.2, since there was never a SUSE before that. There wasn't a 1.0 or 2, or 2, as it started at 4.2 Mostly because "42" is, of course, the answer ;)

I now have a pet hate of Linux distros that have a "tweaked" kernel.

Tried to recompile a vanilla kernel on RedHat Enterprise 5 to get a newly supported wireless device working and... The new kernel just doesn't work lol (even though the kernel .config is the same as the original default kernel). Nothing would mount at bootup and then a kernel panic occurred. (ext2 and ext3 were compiled in (not as modules).

So I assume it has something to do with the whole system is set up to require the tweaked kernel. (Perhaps intentional vendor lock in?)

Moral of the story, linux is generally unusable :)

I found I can have fun with gentoo, somehow live with suse, and i decided to not touch ubuntu again unless being paid for it.
Of cause gentoo fun is mostly about having to modify the ebuilds and microtweaking the kernel config&makefile and of cause every-gentoo-user's-favourite CFLAGS.

Recently I'm often using Interix ( Microsoft's POSIX ), which here also uses GNU userland. Does that also count as linux?

Software und System Entwicklung :) I know a lot of people who think SUSE is bloated, but I don't care, it's a great distro. I REALLY miss the old ones I was mentioning before; 8.1 and 8.2, I STILL love them. If my older box was up and running I'd probably install them on that. They just worked SO good out of the box.

Now you try and get a Linux distro working that good and it's like "Ach du scheisse! What is this thing doing?!?" because they have totally crazy stuff out of the box. I've heard that Red Hat even shipped a product once, that out of the box, couldn't use certain features....Like, broken by default.... Then again, they DID say they wanted to be like Microsoft.

gore said:
It was probably 4.2, since there was never a SUSE before that. There wasn't a 1.0 or 2, or 2, as it started at 4.2 Mostly because "42" is, of course, the answer ;)

Right...now I remember it was just close before 5.0 release...

Which is your Favourite Linux? Debian GNU/Linux

Various release stages and package selection has been the determining factor in my choice for Debian GNU/Linux. Everybody has their choice on what they want to use, so I will not get into the "mine is better than yours"...

I do have to be thankful of DistroWatch for providing me an introductory article and link to FreeBSD.

So I usually have a triple-bootable system with WinXP Pro (SP3), Debian GNU/Linux, and FreeBSD.

Debian on "homebrew" servers, RHEL on brand servers that require support, and Arch on desktop.

Every now and then, I google some Linuxism, and when I see the answer, I have a huge WTF?! Sign over my head. Some mechanisms and some solutions in general GNU/Linux environment are damn ugly.

Slack/debian/salix/arch/ubuntu for desktop (minimal with i3-wm and without and DM).

Crunchbang/archbang/ubuntu for laptop.

Debian/centos for servers (with tmux/screen).

homemade said:
Debian for servers and Ubuntu for Desktops.

Ever since FreeBSD 8.0, I might be forced to leave FBSD for a more secure future; but I love FBSD.

It has been a 1 year and 3 months since I switch from FreeBSD to Debian. The best decision I have ever made as far as server OS. If you plan to use production servers for hosting different applications for yourself and others, then go to Debian. You shouldn't kill yourself maintaining servers. Don't become a code troll. HaHa.

My first distro was Unix at my local college during the early 2000's. And since then, it feels like I had tried every OS available. I must say try debian as one of your first Os's.

homemade said:
If you plan to use production servers for hosting different applications for yourself and others, then go to Debian. You shouldn't kill yourself maintaining servers. Don't become a code troll. HaHa.

Did you just tell people on a FreeBSD user forum to not use FreeBSD for production servers and shell scripting is a form of trolling? or are you putting down programmers?

How come I have a feeling your just a linux-bigot and not a real admin?

If I was forced to use Linux, I would try CentOS first.

But really asking me what is my favorite Linux is like asking who is my favorite male stripper.

Back