Which GNU/Linux distro to try?

Well, I have not installed it on any of my machines, but my wife needs an new OS and Frugalware is on my list for her to try . She is not ready to jump into The FreeBSD boat with me . But, she is wants to try something other than the Debian distro . But, like I said, I have not installed it on mine, or any other machine for that matter yet . But, from my research, I think it might server her needs well .

I've been forced to install Linux Ubuntu on my fresh laptop(no support for ethernet or wifi on FreeBSD, BCM4313 for wifi and some Atheros crap for eth)
Its either I'm a fanatic after using FreeBSD for last years either I don't know what, but I find linux unsatisfying at all.
E.g., there are some really small paper-cut things that bother me, and I can't even explain well to anyone in s/w. They are not bugs, they are just differensies between 2 different implementations of the tools (coreutils, sed, awk, etc), some really strange default configurations for almost everything.
After all it finished with a strange system breakage after following Wiki page on installing Bumblebee.
The last one disgusted me the most:
I've just copy-and-pasted apt-add-repo blah blah && apt-get intall bumblebee and after that, well, everything just broke. First X didn't start, then X start, but with glitches & without openGL direct rendering, then I've managed to revert bumblebee changes but still had no openGL.

The thing is, as of my experience, if it works on FreeBSD (*BSD actually), you need to do almost nothing to get it working, and if it is not - it is just, well, not.
And on Linux - if it works, you need to kick your brains out trying to figure out why it is not, and if it doesn't work, you still need to kick your brains out cause you've found on somelinuxforum that it worked for some guy.

After all the ubuntu installation finished as a rage-quit for me, and I'm waiting for my half-size intel 5100 mini-pci-e wifi adapter will get in my hands.

If someone really wanted to play around with Linux and likes FreeBSD, what they should do is download Draco Linux. It is a Linux base only, with the exception that it is set up similar to a BSD OS. It was made with the intent to be like a BSD Linux, and done so that is can run "pkgsrc" (the NetBSD source based package manager) without bootstrapping it for a Linux system. So, it can use pkgsrc like if it were a BSD OS. Draco also uses rc.d and OSS4.2 ;)

A while back I had thought about making a Linux base suitable for the FreeBSD ports system. But then decided that I would just use FreeBSD.

pkgsrc has been working on making itself more portable to other systems. Like Haiku and Minix . So there are a lot of resources there for what is required to use it on other systems then NetBSD. Like how to bootstrap. Maybe with a Linux base like Draco, and some tweaking similar to those required for pkgsrc to run on Linux, one could get the FreeBSD ports to run on Linux.

This would probably be the best type of Linux around, if someone did it well. A "LinuxBSD". The only thing you would have is different hardware support, and a whole lot less community support. But, in my opinion that would still be better than using a mainstream Linux.

You know, if someone was just playing around.

Well, I guess one could just use Gentoo. It would save the time and work of tweaking. So much for my thoughts.

There are three distros I have used that I would say are "BSD-Like"

1. Arch - this is my personal favorite. It's the least painful to set up and maintain on a good day. Problem is Arch is both rolling release and and bleeding edge, bad days happen. Both binaries and source software is available (although it hardly compares to the ports tree)
  2. Gentoo - this is another good one. Gentoo gives the user complete control. It's bleeding edge but not to the level of Arch. Gentoo uses Portage as its package manager, it is kind of similar to the ports tree (not as good IMO, but that's me. Regardless there are plenty of overlays to add to it.). One thing about Gentoo is there are no binary packages.
  3. Slackware - This is the most vanilla Linux you can get. They don't mess with upstream too much. Slackware is also the most stable of these three. One thing that may annoy you with Slackware is it does not resolve dependices dependencies for you. im I'm not as familiar with Slackware as I am with Arch or Gentoo.

All three are rolling release distros by the way.

There is another distro you may be interested in. its It's called CRUX. ive I've heard it's very BSD-Like, ive I've never used it though. im I'm assuming you like these more involved style of operating systems.

I kind of made that same assumption. Very good list though. I think CRUX is 64bit only. Not that some one couldn't get the sources. Most people would be fine with that 64bit anyway.

X3RNAL9AN1C said:
one thing that may annoy you with slackware is it dose not resolve dependices for you.

In actual, Slackware users consider that a feature and most of the Slackers(including me) had started using Slackware for the same reason.
If it would come with a dependency resolution package management, it won't be Slackware anymore.

Regards.

CurlyTheStooge said:
In actual, Slackware users consider that a feature and most of the Slackers(including me) had started using Slackware for the same reason.
If it would come with a dependency resolution package management, it won't be Slackware anymore.

Regards.

Never understood why dependencies couldn't be controlled by a matrix in a simple file.
Then you could use Slackware with or without dependency resolution. I guess someone should just leave Slackware as it is liked, and develop a fork for the whiners like me. Salix and the like don't cut it.

h3z said:
Then you could use Slackware with or without dependency resolution.

I don't think dependency management is such a simple phenomenon which can be added as an 'optional' package in Slackware tree. Its obviously an overhead on the package maintainers too. I certainly find Slackbuild's approach rather better in this regard.

Regards.

CurlyTheStooge said:
I don't think dependency management is such a simple phenomenon which can be added as an 'optional' package in Slackware tree. Its obviously an overhead on the package maintainers too. I certainly find Slackbuild's approach rather better in this regard.

Regards.

What I meant is that very basic package resolution could be achieved. Not every satisfaction would be had with basic resolution. But, enough to prove useful to the non-elite.

No, you are quite right. And, with a team of one, Patrick doesn't need an excuse not to bother with package resolution. I always preferred Slackyd. But, even if a user matrix was available, it could be taken and implemented in slackyd. Thus extending the third party repository, with the original Slackware packages. Then one could install the Slackware base and build up, without having embraced the experience required to do so. I admit that a user of any system would be better knowing what depends on what. It is just one more step in the right direction. But, not everyone is ready for that step. And, maybe they shouldn't use Slackware. But, such a beautiful linux among the waste land of bloated distributions seems to good, for only the Slack elite.

If I wasn't using FreeBSD, I would be building a personal distribution with Slackware as a base.

I also agree that source based package management is far lighter on maintainers. I fear that FreeBSD will adopt to that thinking more and more. Which would give more resources to the systems actual development.

I myself like having the ability to collect a current enough state of a repository, for local net-less functionality. It isn't considered widely important to most anymore. But, in some areas you still have internet access with bandwidth restrictions. Or, in the case of satellite you can be without access for long periods of time, or spotty unreliable segments of time. In cases like this, is nice to have local repository access. Distfile collections are not so nice for this sort of situation. They have multiple version of many programs grouped together with no easy way to collect only the selection of the distfiles you require. I could go on and on about the problems involved in trying to acquire a full repository of sources. Slackbuild not having its own distfile collection would make this an even more daunting task. But, Slackbuild uses direct developer sources for the benefit of itself and its users.

With that said, the Slackbuild option is still a good one for many. I would not down play its value at all. I would just hate to get stuck with Debian or something. They do provide a full repository (free software only) on disk still. I guess Frugalware isn't that bad, as another alternative.

I am just too picky. Really too picky when you consider the software is free.

You can't please every user.

Good point though, CurlyTheStooge.

Well, I found a Linux for my wife. Its the closest to FreeBSD I could find. So, if you have to try Linux, give this one a shot. Sabayon. It uses rc.conf/rc.d, has binary packages, and Gentoo portage. All of the packages are made from Gentoo sources. And, the packages can be installed on Gentoo. So, it is really close to FreeBSD. But, still Linux. Really, it is probably only good enough for your wife's computer.

I guess it uses OpenRC. Not rc.d.

As many has mentioned already, I too came from Slackware (9.0) to FreeBSD. It obeys the rules of simplicity and keeps the data organized. As I used to compile a lot of the software myself, it was possible to keep the the custom software in dedicated location (/opt, /usr/local). Hence I'd recommend Slackware as a very good starting point.

True is keeping the software up-to-date (especially when you do it all yourself) is time consuming. Due to this I have Debian in my virtual machine - easy to deploy and still configuration is straightforward. So give it a try with Debian too.

Back